Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    8

    Default HVAC ducts in garage

    Is it correct that ductwork in garages are required to be enclosed in firerated sheetrock? Any comments on this?? Below is a picture of ducts in the garage another inspector said should be called out.

    Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,243

    Default Re: HVAC ducts in garage

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Chiger View Post
    Is it correct that ductwork in garages are required to be enclosed in firerated sheetrock? Any comments on this?? Below is a picture of ducts in the garage another inspector said should be called out.
    No, ductwork is not required to be enclosed in firerated drywall.

    The ductwork should be either 26 gage metal or "other approved material", and most/many AHJ accept ductboard as "other approved material".

    Your photo clearly shows that ...

    By the way ... flexible duct does not cut it (unless one installs a fire damper in the wall which will close off the duct opening through the wall.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: HVAC ducts in garage

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    No, ductwork is not required to be enclosed in firerated drywall.

    Your photo clearly shows that ...
    .
    OK I give.. How did you see a photo?

    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,243

    Default Re: HVAC ducts in garage

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    OK I give.. How did you see a photo?
    I imagined it.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    8

    Smile Re: HVAC ducts in garage

    Thank you gentlemen


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Succasunna NJ
    Posts
    574

    Default Re: HVAC ducts in garage

    If you are in New Jersey, the ducts in the garage should be insulated (both the supply & the return). Also, there should not be any openings (registers) in the garage.

    Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: HVAC ducts in garage

    Yup, make sure duct work is sealed at cleats and penetrations through drywall in garage are sealed.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,258

    Default Re: HVAC ducts in garage

    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Miller View Post
    If you are in New Jersey, the ducts in the garage should be insulated (both the supply & the return). Also, there should not be any openings (registers) in the garage.
    Supply openings are okay into the garage, just not a return, right?

    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Succasunna NJ
    Posts
    574

    Default Re: HVAC ducts in garage

    No openings are allowed in the garage.

    Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,243

    Default Re: HVAC ducts in garage

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    Supply openings are okay into the garage, just not a return, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Miller View Post
    No openings are allowed in the garage.
    No openings into the garage from a system which also serves the living space. One can, if they so desire, insulate the garage and install a system for the garage space only with no interconnection to any system serving the living space. This is just to complicate the answer, but sometimes this is done.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: HVAC ducts in garage

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    No openings into the garage from a system which also serves the living space. One can, if they so desire, insulate the garage and install a system for the garage space only with no interconnection to any system serving the living space. This is just to complicate the answer, but sometimes this is done.
    SO JUST TO CLARIFY, the ducts can be in the garage, no firewall enclosure necessary provided there is no vent in the ducts and that penetrations into and out of the garage are well sealed. Yes?


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,243

    Default Re: HVAC ducts in garage

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Chiger View Post
    SO JUST TO CLARIFY, the ducts can be in the garage, no firewall enclosure necessary provided there is no vent in the ducts and that penetrations into and out of the garage are well sealed. Yes?
    Based on the IRC:
    - ducts are allowed in the garage, with limitations on the material used for the construction of the ducts - the specifically approved material is 26 gage sheet metal, other material which is "approved" (meaning acceptable to the building official of the AHJ); 1" minimum thick duct board is also specifically stated as allowed in the Florida Building Code.
    - *IF* you were to totally enclose flexible duct in a framed shaft with 1/2" gypsum board enclosing the flexible duct from the air handler to the wall, and everything was connected and sealed up tight ... then I suspect that the AHJ would allow flexible duct ... because it would not really be "in the garage" would it?
    - all penetrations through the SEPARATION WALL (drop the term "firewall" as that wall is NOT a "firewall" - in most locations, a "firewall" may actually be required in some areas, but a "firewall" is not required by the IRC) - all penetrations into and through the separation wall need to be caulked and sealed around

    Are you 'unconfused'?

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: HVAC ducts in garage

    In simple terms..... Any HVAC system that is supplying conditioned air to a garage must be independent of any system that is supplying conditioned air to the interior living space of a home.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •