Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    869

    Default Unusual heating set up

    I came across this today, and while I don't think heating off a hot water heater is very economical, it is possible.

    Since it's the only system in the home, my immediate thought was backflow from the heating loop into the domestic hw. There is no backflow prevention to the domestic. I did notice there are 2 pairs of feeds/returns, so there is a possibility of separate chambers within the heater. I am not aware of such a water heater (not boiler, which I know exists), and plan on calling the mfg to confirm.

    Any input?

    I will post pics when my son gets home, I cannot figure out how to resize them.

    Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral SOC
    Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: Unusual heating set up

    There are water heaters which have separate and independent heating system coils in the heated potable water.

    They are, however, specifically listed and rated for that use.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    274

    Default Re: Unusual heating set up

    Yup, they make dual units. The first time I saw one I had to take a double look, same as you, as I thought it was a water heater with a return loop then noticed the fourth line. That was about 18 years ago??? If I remember right, it was labeled "domestic use" and "heat use", or something along those lines, on the unit.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,446

    Default Re: Unusual heating set up

    Was it an Apollo unit? We have a lot of them in my area.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    869

    Default Re: Unusual heating set up

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Was it an Apollo unit? We have a lot of them in my area.
    The unit is a Bradford White. I noticed the additional hook ups and suspected a dual unit. This is a new one for me.

    Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: Unusual heating set up

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Unusual heating set up

    There are open-loop hydronic heating systems that use the domestic hot water for both the fixtures and home heating. Does not need to be kept separate. Most hot water heaters plumed for dual use do NOT have a separate coil inside. Just two sets of attachments. Couldn't tell you if the open-loop or closed-loop system is more common.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    389

    Default Re: Unusual heating set up

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Smith View Post
    There are open-loop hydronic heating systems that use the domestic hot water for both the fixtures and home heating. Does not need to be kept separate. Most hot water heaters plumed for dual use do NOT have a separate coil inside. Just two sets of attachments. Couldn't tell you if the open-loop or closed-loop system is more common.
    Respectfully beg to differ on the open-loop part Kyle. There are many reasonsto keep the systems separate, code only being one of them. A"regular" domestic water heater is not listed as a device for heatingunless specifically noted and if it ain't noted, it ain't allowed.

    The water in the heating loop(s) becomes stagnant over the summer and when the circulatingpumps are kicked on in the fall that stinky, slimy, smelly, stagnant, waterfinds its way out of the shower head and right in your face.

    I am a little embarrassed to say I know all of this because I have done it andlearned my lesson the hard way.

    Am I proud? Heck yes, I learned a lesson. Would I do it again? Nope, don't believe I would.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Unusual heating set up

    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Butler View Post
    Respectfully beg to differ on the open-loop part Kyle. There are many reasonsto keep the systems separate, code only being one of them. A"regular" domestic water heater is not listed as a device for heatingunless specifically noted and if it ain't noted, it ain't allowed.

    The water in the heating loop(s) becomes stagnant over the summer and when the circulatingpumps are kicked on in the fall that stinky, slimy, smelly, stagnant, waterfinds its way out of the shower head and right in your face. .
    Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. My permitted and approved open system used a "dual-use" gas hot water heater for combined space/water heating. And when there was no longer a demand for heat you turned a valve that made the water be first pulled through the floor before entering the hot water heater. (Water was never sitting around.)

    On a side note: As mentioned above, I don't think it was any more efficient and changing the temperature took forever. Dogs loved it tho..


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    552

    Default Re: Unusual heating set up

    I have seen boilers with a heating loop, hot water loop, and "Bathroom" loop. The bathroom was kept nice and toasty while the rest of the house could be raised and lowered as desired.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •