Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Deadly Accident

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Posts
    876

    Default Deadly Accident

    This accident happened over the weekend. I don't inspect too many buildings with security gates, but in the future I will pay more attention to them. This is a good reminder, not just about security gates but other large objects that may not even be within the scope of an inspection. Large signs would be another example. As an inspector you may be the only person who will see this potential dangerous defect. Its easy to walk right past something like this without giving it much thought (I have).

    Rita's tragedy: Freak accident or shoddy work?

    Member Benefits1

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,248

    Default Re: Deadly Accident

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reinmiller View Post
    This accident happened over the weekend. I don't inspect too many buildings with security gates, but in the future I will pay more attention to them. This is a good reminder, not just about security gates but other large objects that may not even be within the scope of an inspection. Large signs would be another example. As an inspector you may be the only person who will see this potential dangerous defect. Its easy to walk right past something like this without giving it much thought (I have).

    Rita's tragedy: Freak accident or shoddy work?
    The story doesn't make sense:
    - The Daily News was unable to reach the building's owners, P&G Property Development..
    .
    - Rebecca Jackson, who owns the Rita's with her husband, Kenny, was quoted in a 2010 Inquirer story about the revitalization of West Girard Avenue.
    - "Part of buying the building," she said, ...

    Who is the owner of the building? Am I missing something?

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Posts
    876

    Default Re: Deadly Accident

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The story doesn't make sense:
    - The Daily News was unable to reach the building's owners, P&G Property Development..
    .
    - Rebecca Jackson, who owns the Rita's with her husband, Kenny, was quoted in a 2010 Inquirer story about the revitalization of West Girard Avenue.
    - "Part of buying the building," she said, ...

    Who is the owner of the building? Am I missing something?
    Jerry, I'm surprised at you. You expect accurate reporting from a reporter?


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,248

    Default Re: Deadly Accident

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reinmiller View Post
    Jerry, I'm surprised at you. You expect accurate reporting from a reporter?
    Sorry, a moment of sanity slipped in ... what was I thinking?

    Kind of like the headline:

    Severe storm damages cemetery - hundreds dead!

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    333

    Default Re: Deadly Accident

    The sad truth about the girl dying is that many building owners, public and private, don't make a practice of properly inspecting and maintaining their properties. I'd put money on the fact that the gate was never inspected for proper operation and firm attachment from the time it was installed.

    In Milwaukee, WI a few years ago, a 13-ton concrete panel fell off of a County parking garage without warning, killing a teenage boy who happened to be walking out of the exit located directly under it. The lawyers are still fighting over who to blame, and who pays how much. And the County Executive at the time, Scott Walker, had previously (and proudly) cut the County's structure maintenance budget from several million $$$ to less than $200,000 a year, which resulted in a Parks Department lifeguard being in charge of infrequent structure inspections. Walker is now Wisconsin's governor.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    2,479

    Default Re: Deadly Accident

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The story doesn't make sense:

    - "Part of buying the building," she said, ...

    Who is the owner of the building? Am I missing something?
    Since Rita's is a franchise, I am going to guess that "building" was accidentally used instead of "business".

    Department of Redundancy Department
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •