Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1

    Default Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    Anybody see something wrong here?

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral SOC

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by David Crawford View Post
    Anybody see something wrong here?
    Poor photographer?

    Apart from the running trap, lack of trap vent, lack of secondary drain trap? I can't see much else but with a better perspective, maybe.

    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

  3. #3

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Poor photographer?

    Apart from the running trap, lack of trap vent, lack of secondary drain trap? I can't see much else but with a better perspective, maybe.
    If you are looking around the trap, you are warm.


  4. #4

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    Here's the answer.

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    Shades of a Canadian reincarnation.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,445

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    What is the point of this thread?


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    2,476

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    What is the point of this thread?
    I'm with you. I get kind of tired of the "let's test the inspectors" posts.

    Department of Redundancy Department
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    To speculate on the type tape used? I looks like Gorilla Tape. No cheep Dollar Store duck Tape there.

    Or why the trap was cracked in the first place >???
    Or why the HI he had for purchase didn't note it in report >???
    Or why David try to force what would not flex rather that correct the issue >???
    Or > ????????????????????


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    The tray under the bottom cannot be pulled out because trap is in the way. Different pics.

    But I agree, enough of Guess the problem posts. Give us something to go on. Then we can laugh with you.

    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,243

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by David Crawford View Post
    Anybody see something wrong here?
    The black top on the red container is cross-threaded?

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    So now the rules dictate that the post has to meet the critique of critics? Very professional.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    So now the rules dictate that the post has to meet the critique of critics? Very professional.

    I think it may be as a result of the lingering bad taste that a previous (banded/exiled) forum member created with his incessant run of what is wrong in this picture postings. Memories linger long after the meal has been digested and expelled.


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,243

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    The ruQUOTE=Raymond Wand;263080]So now the rules dictate that the post has to meet the critique of critics? Very professional.[/QUOTE]

    Post numbers 3 and 4 show the intent of the original post.

    Nothing in there for a question or education.

    The rules haven't changed - being professional is still the goal.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    Jerry it may not be educational for you or a question for your liking, but what about those that are new to the biz, or enjoy pictures of finds from inspections? Not everyone is seasoned inspector nor does every post require an explanation.

    Remember a picture is worth a thousand words and professionalism is part of being courteous.

    Last edited by Raymond Wand; 01-07-2016 at 08:59 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    Now lets play nice

    The problem with the post is that from the 1st posting pict there is no way to see that there is a filter . Maybe a pict from a different angle. But from what I saw on my screen not really detectable.

    Then with the drain lines located as they are you would expect the filter be else where. Again it a mater of angle/perspective to note filter existence at all. Damaged lines are a common item to find and most often do not make for a search to see what damaged them or why.

    Lets add into the equation that if there is another filter in the return system, which is quite possible. You would not look for what we can not see from the posting pict perspective unless that tid-bit of information was provided.

    To often something is totally obvious when you have it figured out. But not obvious until then.

    Sooooooo, The thread posting presentation was in want of a better execution. Then again the OP David may have been trying to develop something other than just an interesting thread. Previous posts were dealing with HI report issues with his own properties he was selling and buying. Not saying there was something nefarious in the OP, just something that does cross ones mind at times.

    Patience and Professionalism combined with a little Charity is often needed.


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,243

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Jerry it may not be educational for you or a question for your liking, but what about those that are new to the biz, or enjoy pictures of finds from inspections?
    Raymond,

    I was not the only one to try to decipher what the original poster's intent was. I am always open to learning more, so, if you would, please explain what could be educational about this question:

    Quote Originally Posted by David Crawford View Post
    Anybody see something wrong here?
    Poor focus of the photo?

    Poor composition of the items in the photo?

    What is the question asking for?

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  17. #17

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Now lets play nice

    The problem with the post is that from the 1st posting pict there is no way to see that there is a filter . Maybe a pict from a different angle. But from what I saw on my screen not really detectable.

    Then with the drain lines located as they are you would expect the filter be else where. Again it a mater of angle/perspective to note filter existence at all. Damaged lines are a common item to find and most often do not make for a search to see what damaged them or why.

    Lets add into the equation that if there is another filter in the return system, which is quite possible. You would not look for what we can not see from the posting pict perspective unless that tid-bit of information was provided.

    To often something is totally obvious when you have it figured out. But not obvious until then.

    Sooooooo, The thread posting presentation was in want of a better execution. Then again the OP David may have been trying to develop something other than just an interesting thread. Previous posts were dealing with HI report issues with his own properties he was selling and buying. Not saying there was something nefarious in the OP, just something that does cross ones mind at times.

    Patience and Professionalism combined with a little Charity is often needed.
    Actually, the purpose of this post was to educate those who may not be familiar with this type of unit. I admit, I could have presented it better. This has nothing to do with my previous HI experiences. My inspector for this property missed this, but I do not blame him or hold him responsible. I was very happy with his services.

    The problem is with the drain lines blocking the removal of the filter. I found this while trying to troubleshoot "no heat" issues.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    What is the point of this thread?
    To share and maybe educate. I've learned a lot from this forum and like to contribute.

    Last edited by David Crawford; 01-09-2016 at 05:23 PM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    I'm with you. I get kind of tired of the "let's test the inspectors" posts.
    Not at all my intent. Since I gave up the answer quickly, I did not troll the forum for "test replies".


  19. #19

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    To speculate on the type tape used? I looks like Gorilla Tape. No cheep Dollar Store duck Tape there.

    Or why the trap was cracked in the first place >???
    Or why the HI he had for purchase didn't note it in report >???
    Or why David try to force what would not flex rather that correct the issue >???
    Or > ????????????????????
    None of these.
    The trap is wrapped in an attempt to provide insulation and stop condensation. It is in a warm, unconditioned garage. Not my doing. I plan to reroute the lines and insulate the entire pair of lines.


  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,243

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by David Crawford View Post
    The problem is with the drain lines blocking the removal of the filter. I found this while trying to troubleshoot "no heat" issues.
    David,

    The blocked filter is just one of the problems shown in the photo, others were mentioned in the posts below.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  21. #21

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    David,

    The blocked filter is just one of the problems shown in the photo, others were mentioned in the posts below.
    And I very much appreciate those mentions. I'll be addressing those during the repair.


  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,243

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by David Crawford View Post
    And I very much appreciate those mentions. I'll be addressing those during the repair.
    To add another one to the list, PVC is required to be supported at maximum spacing of 4 feet, as measured along the centerline of the piping, which likely means at least two, if not more, supports in the pipe length in the photo.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  23. #23

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    To add another one to the list, PVC is required to be supported at maximum spacing of 4 feet, as measured along the centerline of the piping, which likely means at least two, if not more, supports in the pipe length in the photo.
    Thanks for your continued support. I will be sure to address that as well.


  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by David Crawford View Post
    And I very much appreciate those mentions. I'll be addressing those during the repair.
    I have seen units like that with the filter location moved to another location around the intake area.

    Dave Hill
    Buyers & Sellers Property Inspections LLC
    WWW.BuyersSellersPi.Com

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,546

    Default Re: Rheem Heat Pump Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by David Crawford View Post
    None of these.
    The trap is wrapped in an attempt to provide insulation and stop condensation. It is in a warm, unconditioned garage. Not my doing. I plan to reroute the lines and insulate the entire pair of lines.
    Thanks for the clarification. I thought maybe the taped pipe was a repair.

    You could install threaded connectors so that the pipes can be moved aside. I'll bet the filter is filthy.

    Your inspector should have pulled out the filter.

    It is one of the things I do as a routine, pull it partway out, snap a pic, shove it back, takes just that much time and is helpful info for a buyer - Hey, you have a filter (that needs to be serviced X times a year.)

    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •