Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Duct opening

  1. #1
    Rick Maday's Avatar
    Rick Maday Guest

    Default Duct opening

    Thoughts on why this would be like so.

    All ducts on first floor (slab) were cut in various sizes - all smaller than the opening.

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Home Inspector E&O Insurance 2

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,032

    Default Re: Duct opening

    An obvious attempt to regulate ariflow. Why and to what end? I have no clue.


  3. #3
    Rick Maday's Avatar
    Rick Maday Guest

    Default Re: Duct opening

    Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    An obvious attempt to regulate ariflow. Why and to what end? I have no clue.
    Thanks John.

    What was more confusing is there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to the size of each cut out. 6 different vents all with different sized cut outs.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,032

    Default Re: Duct opening

    Did they reduce or increase in size( in pattern) relative to their distance from the air handler?


  5. #5
    Rick Maday's Avatar
    Rick Maday Guest

    Default Re: Duct opening

    Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Did they reduce or increase in size( in pattern) relative to their distance from the air handler?
    Not that I recall.
    Thanks, John now I do want to go back!

    I do know the first one (closest) was the smallest. The others were very random (and poorly cut).

    It's either to balance the system or shoddy workmanship.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    25,317

    Default Re: Duct opening

    Rick,

    What was that 'greenish' duct made of?

    The first thing which came to my mind was: "How in the heck did they attach the ducts together?"

    As in "When ducts are connected together properly, the opening is cut to allow the ducts to be mechanically joined (required by code) and sealed (also required by code). As shown, there is no way to mechanically attach the duct together. Plus, how are they sealed together?"

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  7. #7
    Rick Maday's Avatar
    Rick Maday Guest

    Default Re: Duct opening

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Rick,

    What was that 'greenish' duct made of?

    The first thing which came to my mind was: "How in the heck did they attach the ducts together?"

    As in "When ducts are connected together properly, the opening is cut to allow the ducts to be mechanically joined (required by code) and sealed (also required by code). As shown, there is no way to mechanically attach the duct together. Plus, how are they sealed together?"
    Some type of plastic. House was on a slab.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    25,317

    Default Re: Duct opening

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Maday View Post
    Some type of plastic. House was on a slab.
    That's what I was thinking, a large PVC pipe.

    *NO WAY* there is any "mechanical attachment" between that and the branch duct going to the supply opening.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •