Gift For Business Owners Buyers, Sellers & DIYers
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southwest US
    Posts
    584

    Default No attic drip pan

    HVAC guy says a drip pan is not needed under this air handler (Arcoaire). Can anybody verify that this is (or isn't) correct?
    I know, no traps.
    Thanks
    P2070033.JPG

    Similar Threads:
    HomeGauge Inspection Report Software

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: No attic drip pan

    An attic mounted air handler with no secondary condensate drain line shut-off?


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southwest US
    Posts
    584

    Default Re: No attic drip pan

    I figured he was blowing smoke. Said it wasn't needed as it had a built in drip pan.
    I rarely see cut-off switches, maybe a half dozen in 15 years.


  4. #4
    Vern Heiler's Avatar
    Vern Heiler is online now Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    1,981

    Default Re: No attic drip pan

    Benjamin, sorry for the deleation! Looked at the picture again and it doesn't look like an attic. Is it above a finished space?

    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    3,810

    Default Re: No attic drip pan

    It appears to have a secondary drain which is one of the options of satisfying the code requirements. Is the secondary piped seperately to a conspicuous location?

    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Dallas, Texas

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southwest US
    Posts
    584

    Default Re: No attic drip pan

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    It appears to have a secondary drain which is one of the options of satisfying the code requirements. Is the secondary piped seperately to a conspicuous location?
    Reasonably conspicuous, high up.


  7. #7
    JOn Bennett's Avatar
    JOn Bennett Guest

    Default Re: No attic drip pan

    I know here in Kansas, if it is above a finished ceiling, it MUST have a drain pan UNDER the unit. The second drain pipe is "good", but if both plug, not a good day for the homeowner!

    Jon B


  8. #8
    Jerry Peck's Avatar
    Jerry Peck is online now Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    22,290

    Default Re: No attic drip pan

    Quote Originally Posted by JOn Bennett View Post
    I know here in Kansas, if it is above a finished ceiling, it MUST have a drain pan UNDER the unit. The second drain pipe is "good", but if both plug, not a good day for the homeowner!

    Jon B
    Jon,

    Would you post the code for that? Does Kansas use the IRC?

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  9. #9
    JOn Bennett's Avatar
    JOn Bennett Guest

    Default Re: No attic drip pan

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Jon,

    Would you post the code for that? Does Kansas use the IRC?
    Hi Jerry!

    We use IMC 2006 in Wichita, Here is the code:

    Sec. 22.01.200. Auxiliary and secondary drain systems.
    In addition to the requirements of section 307.2.3, where damage to any building components could occur
    as a result of overflow from the equipment primary condensate removal system, one of the following
    methods shall be provided for each cooling coil or fuel fired appliance that produces condensate and is
    located above a finished ceiling or furred space:
    1. An auxiliary drain pan with a separate drain shall be provided under the coils on which condensation
    will occur. The auxiliary drain pan shall discharge to a conspicuous point of disposal to alert occupants in
    the event of a stoppage of the primary drain. The pan shall have a minimum depth of 1 inches (38 mm),
    shall not be less than the unit or coil dimensions in width and length and shall be constructed of corrosion
    resistant material. Galvanized sheet steel pans shall have a minimum thickness of not less than 0.0236
    inch (0.6010 mm) (No. 24 gage). Nonmetallic pans shall have a minimum thickness of not less than
    0.0625 inch (1.6 mm).


  10. #10
    Jerry Peck's Avatar
    Jerry Peck is online now Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    22,290

    Default Re: No attic drip pan

    Jon, I've added bold and underlining to your post because that raises a question shown below with the entire code section. You only posted ONE of the choices.

    Quote Originally Posted by JOn Bennett View Post
    Hi Jerry!

    We use IMC 2006 in Wichita, Here is the code:

    Sec. 22.01.200. Auxiliary and secondary drain systems.
    In addition to the requirements of section 307.2.3, where damage to any building components could occur as a result of overflow from the equipment primary condensate removal system, one of the following methods shall be provided for each cooling coil or fuel fired appliance that produces condensate and is located above a finished ceiling or furred space:
    1. An auxiliary drain pan with a separate drain shall be provided under the coils on which condensation will occur. The auxiliary drain pan shall discharge to a conspicuous point of disposal to alert occupants in the event of a stoppage of the primary drain. The pan shall have a minimum depth of 1 inches (38 mm), shall not be less than the unit or coil dimensions in width and length and shall be constructed of corrosion resistant material. Galvanized sheet steel pans shall have a minimum thickness of not less than 0.0236 inch (0.6010 mm) (No. 24 gage). Nonmetallic pans shall have a minimum thickness of not less than 0.0625 inch (1.6 mm).
    "We use IMC 2006 in Wichita"

    You use the 2006 IMC unamended, or amended?

    The 2006 IMC, unamended, states what you posted, but has other options as well: (bold and underlining are mine)
    - 307.2.3 Auxiliary and secondary drain systems. In addition to the requirements of Section 307.2.1, a secondary drain or auxiliary drain pan shall be required for each cooling or evaporator coil or fuel-fired appliance that produces condensate, where damage to any building components will occur as a result of overflow from the equipment drain pan or stoppage in the condensate drain piping. One of the following methods shall be used:
    - - 1. An auxiliary drain pan with a separate drain shall be provided under the coils on which condensation will occur. The auxiliary pan drain shall discharge to a conspicuous point of disposal to alert occupants in the event of a stoppage of the primary drain. The pan shall have a minimum depth of 1.5 inches (38 mm), shall not be less than 3 inches (76 mm) larger than the unit or the coil dimensions in width and length and shall be constructed of corrosion-resistant material. Metallic pans shall have a minimum thickness of not less than 0.0276-inch (0.7 mm) galvanized sheet metal. Nonmetallic pans shall have a minimum thickness of not less than 0.0625 inch (1.6 mm).
    - - 2. A separate overflow drain line shall be connected to the drain pan provided with the equipment. Such overflow drain shall discharge to a conspicuous point of disposal to alert occupants in the event of a stoppage of the primary drain. The overflow drain line shall connect to the drain pan at a higher level than the primary drain connection.
    - - 3. An auxiliary drain pan without a separate drain line shall be provided under the coils on which condensate will occur. Such pan shall be equipped with a water-level detection device conforming to UL 508 that will shut off the equipment served prior to overflow of the pan. The auxiliary drain pan shall be constructed in accordance with Item 1 of this section.
    - - 4. A water level detection device conforming to UL 508 shall be provided that will shut off the equipment served in the event that the primary drain is blocked. The device shall be installed in the primary drain line, the overflow drain line, or in the equipment-supplied drain pan, located at a point higher than the primary drain line connection and below the overflow rim of such pan.
    - - - Exception: Fuel-fired appliances that automatically shut down operation in the event of a stoppage in the condensate drainage system.

    Note that 2. and 4. do not require an auxiliary drain pan. Note that your code section also says "one of the following", then you only post "1." of the following choices.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  11. #11
    JOn Bennett's Avatar
    JOn Bennett Guest

    Default Re: No attic drip pan

    Well Jerry, i am at a loss of words for ya! HaHa! When I did a Google search on IMC codes for Wichita, that is what came up. I am sorry for the confusion i may have caused you. If you call down to Central Inspection, and ask our mechanical inspector what he wants to see in an attic install, he will tell you the same i told you!

    It is obvious that you knew how to look up Wichita codes, i am a bit curious why you asked me? I have installed MANY HVAC systems in Wichita, and if it WAS in an attic, it HAD a drain pan under the unit!

    I hope you have all the info you need now, but if not, feel free to ask!

    Jon B


  12. #12
    Jerry Peck's Avatar
    Jerry Peck is online now Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    22,290

    Default Re: No attic drip pan

    Quote Originally Posted by JOn Bennett View Post
    i am a bit curious why you asked me?
    I asked because you said ...
    Quote Originally Posted by JOn Bennett View Post
    I know here in Kansas, if it is above a finished ceiling, it MUST have a drain pan UNDER the unit.
    ... in such a manner that it MUST have been correct, yet, you also said your area was under the IMC, which said differently.

    I didn't look up the code there, I posted the IMC code, which you said you are under, and asked if your area used the IMC unamended (like I posted) or if your area amended it ... but your post stated the same basic thing: 'one of the following', which means more than one choice.

    What you said, and your post being different confused me ... I was just trying to become unconfused.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •