Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rockwall Texas
    Posts
    4,519

    Default Cursed out on the Phone

    Had a lady call me today from Austin that is buying a home here in the Dallas metroplex.

    She told me that she had attempted to call another HI (5) times in the last (4) days but had no call back.

    After telling me she found me on the internet, she said she was in a time crunch with her contract and needed the inspection before this Friday.

    I told her that I had a cancellation for tomm. (Wed.) and could do it then if she desired. Sure she says so I make all the arrangements.

    She then calls me back about 30min. later and tells me the other HI had called her and said he'd do the inspection Thursday afternoon (after he got off his full-time job ) and he'd do the inspection for 20. bucks cheaper.

    She said she was going to go ahead and cancel my appt. and go with this guy since her friend knew of him.

    No problem I said.

    She then calls me back and said No lets keep the appointment. She was concerned of how the other guy did not get back to her in a reasonable time.

    Now get this, this other HI calls me up and calls me every name in the book. Even call me a MF.

    I told him I had not even met his mother, which caused him to become even more irrate.

    He then starts in telling me how slow he's been and really needed that inspection to help pay some bills.

    I'd had enough and just hung up on him. Tough economy for sure.

    Rick

    Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

  2. #2
    Jeff Remas's Avatar
    Jeff Remas Guest

    Default Re: Cursed out on the Phone

    If he is that slow then he certainly would have time to return her phone call. Probably hard to make a business call from a bar.

    L O S E R. F him.

    Just don't drop your price. Sounds like the lady realized he is a loser.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Re: Cursed out on the Phone

    Sorry Rick, but I really needed that job, I just lost my head

    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

  4. #4
    mitch buchanan's Avatar
    mitch buchanan Guest

    Smile Re: Cursed out on the Phone

    Rick,

    I once had a lady call to complain about what a bad job I had done inspecting her home. I asked her to give me a little time to review the report from months ago so I could be up-to-speed with her when I called back. Long story short - she had cancelled and never had one done before purchase! When I called her back to let her know this slightly important fact, she was still quite rude! Oh well, some people just have bad days. I did offer to perform an inspection for her after the fact - always trying to earn a fee.

    Mitch
    Frankfort, KY


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,365

    Default Re: Cursed out on the Phone

    I had one once where a lady called a just started reaming me for all the stuff I missed on her house. I was away from my computer and didn't have access to the report so I just listened for awhile to let her vent. Somewhere along way she said what she thought was my last name.... but, it wasn't me Wow! sure sounds like some other guy missed a lot of stuff!!!!


  6. #6
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Cursed out on the Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    I had one once where a lady called a just started reaming me for all the stuff I missed on her house. I was away from my computer and didn't have access to the report so I just listened for awhile to let her vent. Somewhere along way she said what she thought was my last name.... but, it wasn't me Wow! sure sounds like some other guy missed a lot of stuff!!!!
    Been in that exact same situation. She went on for ten minutes and I kept trying to be Mr nice guy (who, Me?) but kept trying to get the name and address. When she finally gave me her name and address I told her I was looking for her report. She says. "Now look Ken, I don't care if you find the report or not. What are you going to do for this mees I am in with all the items I missed?"

    Ah, Mam, my name is Ted Menelly, not Ken, I did not do your inspection. She screened like hell and said she would deal with me later, click.

    I was in tears over that one. All I could do was laugh.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rockwall Texas
    Posts
    4,519

    Default Re: Cursed out on the Phone

    OMG

    Just got off the phone again with this HI and now he's asking me if I'd send him a $50.00 referral fee since I stole his job out from under him.

    He said its a common courtesy among HI's to pay out a referral fee when they get a job from someone else.

    I asked him why he thought he had referred me. He had no answer.

    One more call from this fool, and I'm booking him an inspection to my home address. I'll then drag his body out the back door and keep his tool bag.

    rick


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: Cursed out on the Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Just got off the phone again with this HI and now he's asking me if I'd send him a $50.00 referral fee since I stole his job out from under him.

    He said its a common courtesy among HI's to pay out a referral fee when they get a job from someone else.

    Rick,

    Next time he calls, tell him he owes you $100 to keep you from calling the state and complaining about him - then, after letting him stew or yell for a minute or two, tell him that you will call it even IF HE NEVER CALLS YOU AGAIN, otherwise you are calling the state to report him.

    He will probably say 'report him for what', but I am sure there are regulations against taking money for referring inspections, after all, you son is a real estate agent and that could be viewed as taking a kick back (or whatever you come up with, you know the Texas rules, I don't).

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rockwall Texas
    Posts
    4,519

    Default Re: Cursed out on the Phone

    Jerry,

    The state moves too slow.

    I'm litterally right down the street from a nice large lake. One more call and he's sleeping with the fishes.

    rick


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Memphis TN.
    Posts
    4,311

    Default Re: Cursed out on the Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post

    keep his tool bag.

    rick
    .
    Dibs on the wiggy.
    .

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,049

    Default Re: Cursed out on the Phone

    ..and I thought we had a big enough problem with jackass reeltors...Damn!!!


  12. #12
    imported_John Smith's Avatar
    imported_John Smith Guest

    Default Re: Cursed out on the Phone

    Rick, I wouldnt have done the inspection for her. She sounds like a total nut. My guess is you will be dealing with her for the next couple of years when she calls and complains that a light bulb burned out, etc.

    It sounds like the other HI and her would have been a perfect match.

    Some people I dont want for customers. When you get a call for an inspection job you know is going to be crappy, refer the other HI. My guess is he will be going out of business soon anyway.


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area
    Posts
    3,473

    Wink Re: Cursed out on the Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    OMG

    Just got off the phone again with this HI and now he's asking me if I'd send him a $50.00 referral fee since I stole his job out from under him.

    He said its a common courtesy among HI's to pay out a referral fee when they get a job from someone else.

    I asked him why he thought he had referred me. He had no answer.

    One more call from this fool, and I'm booking him an inspection to my home address. I'll then drag his body out the back door and keep his tool bag.

    rick
    Well I can see his logic Rick. He indirectly referred that buyer to you by ignoring her phone mesages. Since she made repeated calls to him and he never called her back, she had to call somebody else. He's actually quite clever. If he ignores enough people and finds enough HIs that operate just below the intellect level of moron, he might actually make some money by doing absolutely nothing.

    Consider yourself lucky Rick. It's not every day that we are touched by the hand of greatness.


  14. #14
    Eric Shuman's Avatar
    Eric Shuman Guest

    Default Re: Cursed out on the Phone

    Rick,

    I can definitely see why that fellow's business is slow!

    Late last year I had a guy call me up one morning and tell me I was late to his house to do a warranty inspection. Although his name sounded familiar I didn't have him in my appointment book. Although I protested and told him we never scheduled the appointment, it had been a busy week so I though maybe I had made the appointment and not transferred the info to my planner. This had happened to me once in the past and I thought I had learned my lesson and seriously doubted that I had made the mistake again, but you know how it gets when you are extrememly busy sometimes. The guy was adamant and convinced me that we had an appointment.

    I looked through my planner and saw the guy's name and number written in the sidelines but no other info so I thought, "Maybe I am at fault here." I told him I would be here as soon as I could. Of course he lived 45 minutes away and I got there as soon as I could.

    As soon as he opened the door I apologized profusely and offered him a bit of a discount for the mix-up. I was being very sincere and felt bad about the whole thing when the guy looks at me and says, "Kind of makes you feel like a jackass, doesn't it?" That comment irritated me and I'm sure my face went red but I said "Yeah it certainly does." The guy continued to be rude but I went ahead and got my ladder out of the truck and he went inside.

    Five minutes later I'm on the roof and I see a truck pull up with a competitor's logo on the side and suddenly it all came clear. He had called me and gotten pricing but had scheduled with this other guy.

    Of course I went and rang the door bell and he came out to talk to us and the other inspector confirmed that he had the appointment.

    Normally I would have just packed it up, with no hard feelings but after the rudeness and the hour and a half round trip I was facing, the little devil on my left shoulder poked me and I turned to the homeowner and said, "Kinda makes you feel like a jackass doesn't it?" He was speechless and just turned around and stormed off.

    I probably should have billed him for the trip out there but the look on his face was payment enough!

    Eric


  15. #15
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Cursed out on the Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Shuman View Post
    Rick,

    I can definitely see why that fellow's business is slow!

    Late last year I had a guy call me up one morning and tell me I was late to his house to do a warranty inspection. Although his name sounded familiar I didn't have him in my appointment book. Although I protested and told him we never scheduled the appointment, it had been a busy week so I though maybe I had made the appointment and not transferred the info to my planner. This had happened to me once in the past and I thought I had learned my lesson and seriously doubted that I had made the mistake again, but you know how it gets when you are extrememly busy sometimes. The guy was adamant and convinced me that we had an appointment.

    I looked through my planner and saw the guy's name and number written in the sidelines but no other info so I thought, "Maybe I am at fault here." I told him I would be here as soon as I could. Of course he lived 45 minutes away and I got there as soon as I could.

    As soon as he opened the door I apologized profusely and offered him a bit of a discount for the mix-up. I was being very sincere and felt bad about the whole thing when the guy looks at me and says, "Kind of makes you feel like a jackass, doesn't it?" That comment irritated me and I'm sure my face went red but I said "Yeah it certainly does." The guy continued to be rude but I went ahead and got my ladder out of the truck and he went inside.

    Five minutes later I'm on the roof and I see a truck pull up with a competitor's logo on the side and suddenly it all came clear. He had called me and gotten pricing but had scheduled with this other guy.

    Of course I went and rang the door bell and he came out to talk to us and the other inspector confirmed that he had the appointment.

    Normally I would have just packed it up, with no hard feelings but after the rudeness and the hour and a half round trip I was facing, the little devil on my left shoulder poked me and I turned to the homeowner and said, "Kinda makes you feel like a jackass doesn't it?" He was speechless and just turned around and stormed off.

    I probably should have billed him for the trip out there but the look on his face was payment enough!

    Eric
    I know folks that would have not said a word and left but that would not have been me. Personally with a comment like that to me I would have come back when he said it.

    Thanks for hanging in there to get your jab in. Next time do yourself a favor and hit it a little stronger so asses like that can be put deeper in their place.

    No one and I mean absolutely know one belittles more for any reason. Just because someone is holding pen in hand it does not mean you are their employee and even if you were they have no reason to belittle you. I was always the guy that stood up for the little guy getting picked on by the bully. Half the time I would get hurt a little but made sure they took it worse and thought twice about picking on the next little guy.

    I am not quite sure if there is anything I hate worse than arrogants and ignorants. Smug little SOB should have been pulled to the street.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •