Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    S.W. Missouri
    Posts
    71

    Default Why do I want to be an Inspector

    Got a call this morning. The guy tells me he wants an inspection. After talking with him, he books the inspection. We scheduled for Saturday, two days away. One hour later he calls me back and said his realtor doesn't want to wait that long and is going to schedule there own inspector for the following day and the client cancels me. I asked him, aren't you concerned that your realtor removed the inspector of your choice and inserted there own? He said what do you mean? He the thought for a moment and went "Oh"... you mean there inspector may favor the realtor. I said it has been known to happen. He said I would like it done sooner too and without giving me the chance to work my schedule to meet the shorter deadline he said goodbye. I wish him good luck.

    I had been wondering lately why the incoming phone calls do not match the reported action at the title office that my friend works at.
    One sign that may explain it is, checking inspector listings in my area on the internet and seeing several real estate brokerage names in those listings. Has anyone heard of ETHICS????

    Inspection Referral SOC

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,828

    Default Re: Why do I want to be an Inspector

    most of my clients want close to next day service also. I try to make that happen. even if I have to work extra hours. Brokers appreciate that and inform future clients that my work ethic is impeccable. You can't stay in this business very long kissing broker a$$ and leaving things out of reports. Brokers want good inspectors that work hard and are willing to put in the extra effort when needed. I generally do 14-16 hr days in the high season. Now it's pretty slow, but I have already covered the year. You are overthinking it. While I agree that brokers shouldn't push the deal so hard, on the other hand, if they don't, they lose the deal, so I can't blame them. They are working in their clients best interest in getting the inspection done asap. and the bottom line is, if you are booked till Saturday it's no great loss anyway. it was probably a POS house anyway


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,365

    Default Re: Why do I want to be an Inspector

    Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    most of my clients want close to next day service also. I try to make that happen. even if I have to work extra hours. Brokers appreciate that and inform future clients that my work ethic is impeccable. You can't stay in this business very long kissing broker a$$ and leaving things out of reports. Brokers want good inspectors that work hard and are willing to put in the extra effort when needed. I generally do 14-16 hr days in the high season. Now it's pretty slow, but I have already covered the year. You are overthinking it. While I agree that brokers shouldn't push the deal so hard, on the other hand, if they don't, they lose the deal, so I can't blame them. They are working in their clients best interest in getting the inspection done asap. and the bottom line is, if you are booked till Saturday it's no great loss anyway. it was probably a POS house anyway
    I largely agree with this. I think there is a over-reaction amongst inspectors that just because an agent sets up and inspection or has anything to do with it the inspector is an unethical, soft-reporting scum bag. I'm sure there are some of those inspectors out there but it's probably about 2% as much as some of you lay at night thinking about. My company has been in business for 26 years and the 5 inspectors in our office have a combined experience of over 50 years. And we take referrals from agents all the time. So, does that mean we are unethical? I'd bet the sellers of the houses we inspect don't think we "soft balled" anything.

    The best agents I work with have several companies they refer. They've met GOOD inspectors over the years and like to work with someone they can trust to be honest. Not alarmists, not soft selling things. Just good factual well written reports. Believe it or not there are a lot of nuts running around in our profession.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    S.W. Missouri
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: Why do I want to be an Inspector

    Oregon and Connecticut are both states that regulate HIs so you may not get my point. Missouri dose not regulate HIs, although N.A.R has lobbied the Mo senate for it, placing themselves as the oversight. The bill is in a holding pattern since the down turn. Plus due to non-regulation there is no law to prevent Brokers from doing inspections in-house, just there "ethics" and the ethics committee is compiled of other Brokers.

    Matt your estimate is you feel that only 2% of inspectors are soft. Lets say that is true. If there are 10 inspectors in a region and 2 inspectors would be soft leaving 8 good inspectors. Lets say those 2 are being funneled all the work they can do because of there obedience. I have had reports that a local title office is closing 20-30 a month. Most inspectors can do 2 or more inspections a day. You do the math. So even at 2%, not much meat left on the bone and a bunch of screwed over home buyers. I was once one of those "screwed over home buyers"
    I apologize for my synacism buy I got into home inspection with the purest intent and it makes me sick to see the corruption and greed.

    Last edited by Bob R; 09-07-2013 at 09:16 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    2,476

    Default Re: Why do I want to be an Inspector

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob R View Post
    Matt your estimate is you feel that only 2% of inspectors are soft. Lets say that is true. If there are 10 inspectors in a region and 2 inspectors would be soft leaving 8 good inspectors.
    Hi Bob,

    I realize I am being picky, but your math is all wrong. 2% would be 2 out of 100 not 2 out of 10. Your example is 20%.

    Department of Redundancy Department
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI
    Posts
    4,086

    Default Re: Why do I want to be an Inspector

    there: a place (or state): not here, but over there! : HI's are licensed there, but not here in Missouri!

    their: possession or a condition belonging to plural subject(s), a possessive adjective used as a modifier before a noun - it belongs or is a condition of "them" such as "his" is to "he" or "hers" is to "she" "their" is to "they" or "them": Their (the Brokers') 'ethics'

    they're: contraction (they are) "they" (subject) plus "are" (verb - conjugated plural form of "to be"): They're (the Brokers are) not referring business to me!

    "How to Use There, Their and They're (with Examples) - wikiHow"

    HTH.

    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 09-07-2013 at 02:59 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: Why do I want to be an Inspector

    Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    there: a place (or state): not here, but over there! : HI's are licensed there, but not here in Missouri!

    their: possession or a condition belonging to plural subject(s), a possessive adjective used as a modifier before a noun - it belongs or is a condition of "them" such as "his" is to "he" or "hers" is to "she" "their" is to "they" or "them": Their (the Brokers') 'ethics'

    they're: contraction (they are) "they" (subject) plus "are" (verb - conjugated plural form of "to be"): They're (the Brokers are) not referring business to me!

    "How to Use There, Their and They're (with Examples) - wikiHow"

    HTH.
    For the past few weeks I've been thinking, where are JP and HG.
    Think I figured it out where HG was, he must of been at an English writing school.

    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: Why do I want to be an Inspector

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    For the past few weeks I've been thinking, where are JP and HG.
    ...
    I spoke (email) with Jerry a couple of weeks ago.
    He said that he has been working out of town, 12-16 hours a day.
    Said he was just too busy and tired to read IN.

    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,365

    Default Re: Why do I want to be an Inspector

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob R View Post
    Oregon and Connecticut are both states that regulate HIs so you may not get my point. Missouri dose not regulate HIs, although N.A.R has lobbied the Mo senate for it, placing themselves as the oversight. The bill is in a holding pattern since the down turn. Plus due to non-regulation there is no law to prevent Brokers from doing inspections in-house, just there "ethics" and the ethics committee is compiled of other Brokers.

    Matt your estimate is you feel that only 2% of inspectors are soft. Lets say that is true. If there are 10 inspectors in a region and 2 inspectors would be soft leaving 8 good inspectors. Lets say those 2 are being funneled all the work they can do because of there obedience. I have had reports that a local title office is closing 20-30 a month. Most inspectors can do 2 or more inspections a day. You do the math. So even at 2%, not much meat left on the bone and a bunch of screwed over home buyers. I was once one of those "screwed over home buyers"
    I apologize for my synacism buy I got into home inspection with the purest intent and it makes me sick to see the corruption and greed.
    My point is if your first reaction when you lose a job is that the other inspector must be a fraud you're spending too much time on a negative thing rather than doing things so that YOU take a job from an inspector next time.

    Don't get me wrong... if you search my posts I've complained far more and far worse so I'm not trying to tell you I'm on some higher ground. I've just found my efforts worth far more trying to improve my own inspections and company than blaming others as to why they are getting inspections.

    In reality, the soft balling inspector (and the agents that hire him) cannot stay in business for long so I'd just move on from that one.

    Your time is so much better spent on improving your business. Marketing, report writing (word usage as someone pointed out), presentation, technology, cont. education, etc, etc.

    This is a place to vent and I know that's just what you were doing so I'm really not trying to give you a hard time. Just don't let the dirt bad inspector get you twice.... once if he does actually steal a job from you but more importantly don't waste your time on him. He'll be gone soon (of course they'll be another one in line )_


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI
    Posts
    4,086

    Default Re: Why do I want to be an Inspector

    Well said Matt F.

    Understanding the difference and distinction between an Agent and a Broker as well as the other professionals and servicers in the process is likewise important.

    I haven't followed the details over the last several years regarding Missouri and the efforts to create a licensing or registration for HIs; however, as I recall some of the earlier data, most of the state a low percentage of home buyers employed a home inspection. Hopefully that has been improving.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: Why do I want to be an Inspector

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    I spoke (email) with Jerry a couple of weeks ago.
    He said that he has been working out of town, 12-16 hours a day.
    Said he was just too busy and tired to read IN.
    Thanks Rick, good to hear that's he OK
    I guess Jerry is now tired and un-retired

    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area
    Posts
    3,473

    Default Re: Why do I want to be an Inspector

    I too used to get annoyed when an inspection was plucked away from me like this but I've come to view these lost jobs as one less headache for me to deal with. More often than not, the newly vacant slot gets filled by somebody who was referred to me, who wants to work with me, and is willing to rearrange their schedule to fit the days and times I have available.

    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anacortes, Washington
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Why do I want to be an Inspector

    BobR

    I used to get upset every time we lost a job particularly when business was slower. Today I still don't like to lose business but not going to lose money by discounting prices or booking an evening inspection. I will work weekends and do reports in the evening to get them out the same day.

    I do like the example you used. In Washington State Realtors must give out three names but most experienced agents indicate who they prefer. Frankly I don't mind because I end up on the top of many of those lists.

    With licensing in Washington State the sleaze ratio is probably more like 5%. In unregulated states the sleaze ratio probably is 20%. I used to see construction guys float in and out of the business like the change of tide. At one home I recently inspected I found a copy of a previous inspection report. It was an ITA multi-part form ITA Property Inspection Report Forms - Mfg# 300 + R.O
    I didn't realize they still made them but some really old or really new inspector was using them! And yes they missed the loose shingles, evidence of standing water in the crawlspace and hollowcore door leading to the garage.

    //Rick

    Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Greenville, N.C.
    Posts
    254

    Default Re: Why do I want to be an Inspector

    I'm so unambitious that a cancellation to me is just more free time to work on my boat or in my garden.
    After 40 years in the world of construction, I'm comfortable with my client base. Besides, I don't like the direction this industry is going anyway. Report writing by most of my competitors is an exercise in scaring without explaining.

    JLMathis


  15. #15
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Why do I want to be an Inspector

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob R View Post
    Got a call this morning. The guy tells me he wants an inspection. After talking with him, he books the inspection. We scheduled for Saturday, two days away. One hour later he calls me back and said his realtor doesn't want to wait that long and is going to schedule there own inspector for the following day and the client cancels me. I asked him, aren't you concerned that your realtor removed the inspector of your choice and inserted there own? He said what do you mean? He the thought for a moment and went "Oh"... you mean there inspector may favor the realtor. I said it has been known to happen. He said I would like it done sooner too and without giving me the chance to work my schedule to meet the shorter deadline he said goodbye. I wish him good luck.

    I had been wondering lately why the incoming phone calls do not match the reported action at the title office that my friend works at.
    One sign that may explain it is, checking inspector listings in my area on the internet and seeing several real estate brokerage names in those listings. Has anyone heard of ETHICS????
    I fine example of what one Inspection company is trying to do to all local home inspectors. This was sent to me just as I am posting it here. I did find out who advertises this but I will not post his name and deface him as he has done by advertising this to all home inspectors locally. He has been around since close to the beginning of licensing in Texas. He now has multiple inspectors working for him. We deal with things like this in our business year after year. He laughs in your face if you bring it up to him. Please forgive the formatting. It never comes out the same copied and pasted.


    OUR HOME INSPECTION PRICING

    Up to 2,500 sq. ft
    $250
    Total

    • Great Price
    • Professional Service




    2,501+ sq. ft

    10
    Per square foot

    • Great Price
    • Professional Service






    No Additional Fees For

    • Crawl Space/Sprinkler
    • Pool/Septic/ Age of Home









    WHAT OUR HOME INSPECTIONS INCLUDE
    General Home Inspection
    Structural Systems/ Electrical Systems
    Heating, Ventilation & A/C Systems
    Plumbing System/ Appliances/ Optional Systems
    Reports are printed and e-mailed on-site with embedded color photos and easy to understand findings



    FREE Wood Destroying Insect Report
    With the purchase of a Home Inspection, you will receive a FREE termite inspection


    Utility Concierge
    A no cost service to save time, money and stress in setting up utility services & technology solutions


    Inspection Binder
    Contains a Summary Report, Inspection Report, WDI Report, Buyer Resources (Savings on Sears Appliances, Moving Services, and Re-Keying Services), a Moving Guide, and a Home Care Guide. Also includes a CD with copies of all the reports, educational videos which are site-specific to each home and detail the location of and how to turn off the main water, water heater and gas supplies as well as how & where to change the air filter, and pdf files of the User Manuals for sprinkler systems & programmable thermostats which are present in the home.


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    356

    Default Re: Why do I want to be an Inspector

    WOW! That company is working pretty hard for such a small fee. I thought they were cheap here, but that is even worse. I don't get caught up in pricing wars, if they want to use a cheaper inspector, I just tell them what I can offer and let it go. We still stay busy, so we must be doing something right.

    Free WDI, Free Pool, Septic, Sprinkler etc. That is just stupidity. He must do this for a hobby.

    If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

  17. #17
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Why do I want to be an Inspector

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bombardiere View Post
    WOW! That company is working pretty hard for such a small fee. I thought they were cheap here, but that is even worse. I don't get caught up in pricing wars, if they want to use a cheaper inspector, I just tell them what I can offer and let it go. We still stay busy, so we must be doing something right.

    Free WDI, Free Pool, Septic, Sprinkler etc. That is just stupidity. He must do this for a hobby.
    I see this type of mass marketing from a few companies a year. About every other year I get so ticked of I throw out marketing to the Real Estate Market vowing to beat any price. About an hour after I send it out I get sick to y stomach and cancel it. Right now I threw on my website I will beat any Real competitors price. I am about to take that off as well. I just cannot do it.

    Lets ee. He pays his 4 guys I am betting 40 to maybe 50%. If they did 2 a day running like hell doing the videos, report on site, their own termite inspection etc etc then pay for their gas and lunch they might make a couple hundred a day and the race is on. Now pay for their own sick days, vacation, holidays, insurance, medical insurance, retirement (not), equipment and laptops/tablets/pads car upkeep for all the running around etc etc etc etc and they now cannot even live a decent life and still keep running for someone else that is laughing all the way to the bank and dragging the rest of the profession down the tubes. 250 for absolutely everything with no extra fees. I am sure his guys are not doing a couple a day either. That is even the sadder part. What, a hundred a day being a "Professional Home Inspector. A plumber just made that his first hour and that is all the plumber has to know.

    Am I perfect? Dam, far from it. Do I do stupid thinks with instant regret trying to combat these ignorant prices? Unfortunately so. Sadder part is I wind up eating up money I made during the better season because I just cannot stoop that low. Because no matter how hard I want to take the work away from them I just cannot do it and sleep at night.

    Let me ask you folks what an electrical contractor or plumbing contractor or HVAC contractor makes for a half days work as in 4 hours minimum in your areas. Wildy curious.

    Thanks.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •