Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Victoria Morris's Avatar
    Victoria Morris Guest

    Default Hello from MN -what is good ir camera?

    Have been watching Inspection News, and wanted to say hi. Recently I have been researching good infrared cameras to use in energy auditing. Any feedback on cameras would be much appreciated.

    Vicky

    Similar Threads:
    2018 ASHI InspectionWorld

  2. #2
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Hello from MN -what is good ir camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Morris View Post
    Have been watching Inspection News, and wanted to say hi. Recently I have been researching good infrared cameras to use in energy auditing. Any feedback on cameras would be much appreciated.

    Vicky
    Think of leasing one until the business picks up. 5 to 12 grand and even more is a lot to put out to see if you can get enough work. When business picks up then maybe think of buying one. I know some folks that have leased them or rent if you want to call it. It will take a long time to pay out five grand for a cheap one when leasing. Not to mention if you spend that 5 to 12 and then down the road you want to get another one and you sell yours you might get half what you paid for it. Sounds like a pretty costly adventure either way. For what they are and what is actually in them they should be selling for half or less than what they are selling for.


  3. #3
    Victoria Morris's Avatar
    Victoria Morris Guest

    Default Re: Hello from MN -what is good ir camera?

    Thanks. I hadn't thought about that. I'll look into it.

    Vicky


  4. #4
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Hello from MN -what is good ir camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    For what they are and what is actually in them they should be selling for half or less than what they are selling for.
    Ted: More like an eighth or even perhaps less I would say. A good average camera goes for let's say $10,000. $1250, in my opinion, is still too much to pay considering the limited usefulness, the high cost of peripherals and maintenance, and the accrued liability through the use of one.

    When someone decides to get beyond the greed feed that is going on in the IR camera business and market the product for what it is really worth - about $750 - I might buy one. Maybe, and only maybe.

    Aaron


  5. #5
    Victoria Morris's Avatar
    Victoria Morris Guest

    Default Re: Hello from MN -what is good ir camera?

    I did not expect the high price tags that I have been seeing. There is some great software capabilities to many of them-I expect that is one thing that drives the price. I'll post back with info on leasing prices when I contact some of the companies.

    Vicky


  6. #6
    Ron Bibler's Avatar
    Ron Bibler Guest

    Default Re: Hello from MN -what is good ir camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Think of leasing one until the business picks up. 5 to 12 grand and even more is a lot to put out to see if you can get enough work. When business picks up then maybe think of buying one. I know some folks that have leased them or rent if you want to call it. It will take a long time to pay out five grand for a cheap one when leasing. Not to mention if you spend that 5 to 12 and then down the road you want to get another one and you sell yours you might get half what you paid for it. Sounds like a pretty costly adventure either way. For what they are and what is actually in them they should be selling for half or less than what they are selling for.
    The lease is just like buying one. Best way to get into IR is rent. job to job. If you have the cash the Buy used. Best camera on the market is the T400 from FLIR. USED IS ABOUT $ 15K Don't Buy anything less as you will get work just from the camera. people will call for work and if you market you will get work... But don't But one if you do not have the extra cash.

    Best

    Ron


  7. #7
    Victoria Morris's Avatar
    Victoria Morris Guest

    Default Re: Hello from MN -what is good ir camera?

    Got my first quote: FLIR B2 used $6500. $600 wk rental, $750 for two weeks. I will check into the T400.

    Thanks,
    Vicky


  8. #8
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Hello from MN -what is good ir camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Morris View Post
    Got my first quote: FLIR B2 used $6500. $600 wk rental, $750 for two weeks. I will check into the T400.

    Thanks,
    Vicky
    Vicky: For $600 a week you can rent a top-of-the-line Mercedes and drive yourself down here out of the snow where you can think this thing through. $6500 for a used whizbang gimmick toy. Now that's a great deal!

    Let's put that into Bush depression perspective figures. 2,188 bottles of Oakleaf Chardonnay from Walmart, the same place you can purchase the "Thermographer" credentials to go along with the damned thing. That's one bottle of wine per evening for the next 6 years.

    I'll bring the cheese.

    Aaron


  9. #9
    Victoria Morris's Avatar
    Victoria Morris Guest

    Default Re: Hello from MN -what is good ir camera?

    On my way fo Texas-have the Mercedes loaded and just need to stop off at Walmart for the wine

    Yes I can see your point about a gimmicky toy. It's really quite easy to find most of the maor energy leaks using common sense Greenstar rated homes require energy audit and allow tax credits, rebates and sell at a higher value-so an Infrared can supply a report. Since there aren't new residential construction projects, this camera may well be planned for at a later date.

    Is anyone familiar with RadiantGuard ireflective films? Is there a downside to laying this film in attic areas?

    Vicky


  10. #10
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Hello from MN -what is good ir camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Morris View Post
    On my way fo Texas-have the Mercedes loaded and just need to stop off at Walmart for the wine

    Yes I can see your point about a gimmicky toy. It's really quite easy to find most of the maor energy leaks using common sense Greenstar rated homes require energy audit and allow tax credits, rebates and sell at a higher value-so an Infrared can supply a report. Since there aren't new residential construction projects, this camera may well be planned for at a later date.

    Is anyone familiar with RadiantGuard ireflective films? Is there a downside to laying this film in attic areas?

    Vicky
    Vicky: Downside:

    (1) Difficult to install.
    (2) Makes accessing the attic nearly impossible once installed.
    (3) Makes attic pest treatments less effective.
    (4) Traps radiant energy in attic.

    Better choice is spray-on reflective coat. Downside:

    (1) Does not last forever so must be renewed periodically.

    Best choice is to replace roof decking with TechShield, SolarBoard, etc. when re-roofing. Downside:

    (1) Expensive.

    Aaron


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •