Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: New guy from Mo

  1. #1
    BOTTLEFEDSS's Avatar
    BOTTLEFEDSS Guest

    Default New guy from Mo

    Hey guys/gals! Just joined the site to get some better understanding of the ins and outs of home inspecting. I'm thinking about making a career change and I was wanting to get some info. About the only thing I can find out is to go to the AHIT school to get started. Does anybody have some feedback about them?

    Thanks

    Inspection Referral SOC

  2. #2
    Charles Jones's Avatar
    Charles Jones Guest

    Default Re: New guy from Mo

    I took the AHIT distance learning course a few years ago. If you have a background in the building trades, remodeling experience, or some other type of experience with plumbing or electrical it would be a good program to go through.


  3. #3
    Mitchell Toelle's Avatar
    Mitchell Toelle Guest

    Default Re: New guy from Mo

    Quote Originally Posted by BOTTLEFEDSS View Post
    Hey guys/gals! Just joined the site to get some better understanding of the ins and outs of home inspecting. I'm thinking about making a career change and I was wanting to get some info. About the only thing I can find out is to go to the AHIT school to get started. Does anybody have some feedback about them?

    Thanks
    What is your background? Please tell us more...maybe even modify your profile to read what city or county you are in. And try using your real name...that's always helpful, and better assures a response.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    222

    Default Re: New guy from Mo

    Wanting to join our noble profession is a great idea. It's one of the best I have ever found and enjoy every day I am in it!

    The road to becoming an inspector is deceptively simple. Your chances for success will be greatly increased by following these steps:

    1) The #1 exercise to perform is to see if you can afford to do it! I cannot emphasize this enough. It means doing some financial research and that means only one thing; order and fill in the "Cost of Business" worksheet Brian offers on this site. It is a spreadsheet designed specifically for HI's and considers things that most likely you would never realize in an analysis on your own or from somewhere else. As with any other important project you are far and away better off making your mistakes on paper than in real life.

    If/when that pans out for you;

    2) Get professional training at a good school. Attending class in person is best since you will be totally immersed in the environment and be able to mingle with others of your interest as well as experienced teachers and other professionals in the field whose brains you can pick. You will receive lots of information outside the classroom along with structured training. Invaluable.

    Next best is self study courses. But, whichever you choose, it is vital to get professional training. It will vastly expand your chances for success in the business.

    After completing #1 & #2;

    3) Immediately join a local chapter of one of the big HI trade organizations in your area. Members can provide knowledge of what is going on in the industry that may be peculiar to your locale and as important, the camaraderie will provide the support that I guarantee you will need from others in the same boat as you.

    Hope this helps.

    Beacon Inspection Services
    Proudly Serving the Greater Henderson and Las Vegas Valley Area in Southern Nevada!
    Like Beacon On Facebook

  5. #5
    BOTTLEFEDSS's Avatar
    BOTTLEFEDSS Guest

    Default Re: New guy from Mo

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Jones View Post
    I took the AHIT distance learning course a few years ago. If you have a background in the building trades, remodeling experience, or some other type of experience with plumbing or electrical it would be a good program to go through.
    Charles,

    I have some background in the building trades as my whole family has made careers out of them. I would consider myself to be pretty "handy"

    How would you rate the level of education you received from AHIT? Was it worth the money? Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Knauff View Post
    Wanting to join our noble profession is a great idea. It's one of the best I have ever found and enjoy every day I am in it!

    The road to becoming an inspector is deceptively simple. Your chances for success will be greatly increased by following these steps:

    1) The #1 exercise to perform is to see if you can afford to do it! I cannot emphasize this enough. It means doing some financial research and that means only one thing; order and fill in the "Cost of Business" worksheet Brian offers on this site. It is a spreadsheet designed specifically for HI's and considers things that most likely you would never realize in an analysis on your own or from somewhere else. As with any other important project you are far and away better off making your mistakes on paper than in real life.

    If/when that pans out for you;

    2) Get professional training at a good school. Attending class in person is best since you will be totally immersed in the environment and be able to mingle with others of your interest as well as experienced teachers and other professionals in the field whose brains you can pick. You will receive lots of information outside the classroom along with structured training. Invaluable.

    Next best is self study courses. But, whichever you choose, it is vital to get professional training. It will vastly expand your chances for success in the business.

    After completing #1 & #2;

    3) Immediately join a local chapter of one of the big HI trade organizations in your area. Members can provide knowledge of what is going on in the industry that may be peculiar to your locale and as important, the camaraderie will provide the support that I guarantee you will need from others in the same boat as you.

    Hope this helps.
    Bob,

    Thank you for the great advice. I appreciate it. Sounds like I have ALOT to learn!!


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •