Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Mold question

  1. #1
    Linda Van Dyke's Avatar
    Linda Van Dyke Guest

    Default Mold question

    Hello everyone...
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me what I am seeing on the surface of mainly floor and roof trusses, along with dead wood and header material. Looks like some organic matter to me???
    Thanks,

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    2,479

    Default Re: Mold question

    Linda,

    Looks like there is more than one thing going on there. Could be mildew, could be a wood-destroying fungus, could be mold, could be one or more. Difficult to say from these pics.

    I would get a pest inspector out to take a look and make any needed corrections or treatment.

    Department of Redundancy Department
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

  3. #3
    James Duffin's Avatar
    James Duffin Guest

    Default Re: Mold question

    Is this a new house? It looks like the OS board was made in April of this year? If it is new I would say the materials got wet during construction.


  4. #4
    Linda Van Dyke's Avatar
    Linda Van Dyke Guest

    Default Re: Mold question

    Thanks a bunch... This is a new home, still under construction as you can see. I have found about 30 homes between 4 neighborhoods in the same condition. Some worse than others. I have reported it, now I am waiting for direction on remediation.


  5. #5
    Linda Van Dyke's Avatar
    Linda Van Dyke Guest

    Default Re: Mold question

    Thanks for all the feed back. This actually turned into a mold issue. The units have been properly treated and incapsulated to prevent future growth. All were tested by a professional testing company with high water contents.
    Merry Christmas everyone!!!


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lake Barrington, IL
    Posts
    1,363

    Default Re: Mold question

    What was the cause of the conditions that led to the mold growth? Was that corrected as well?

    Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,546

    Default Re: Mold question

    That type of black stain on new construction is normal in my area for a house built in rainy weather, or from lumber that has been left out in the rain. As long as the wood gets a chance to dry out, it doesn't amount to anything, can't survive without moisture.
    I don't even mention it if the house is finished and dry. It is harmless. JMO

    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lake Barrington, IL
    Posts
    1,363

    Default Re: Mold question

    Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    As long as the wood gets a chance to dry out, it doesn't amount to anything, can't survive without moisture.
    I don't even mention it if the house is finished and dry. It is harmless. JMO
    Oh I wouldn't say that it is harmless. The mold spores are still present and many people can be quite susceptible to them. Plus, when the owner sells the home the stains are going to become an issue again and he may be asked to correct it at that time.

    Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

  9. #9
    Bruce Adams's Avatar
    Bruce Adams Guest

    Default Re: Mold question

    Quote Originally Posted by Linda Van Dyke View Post
    Thanks for all the feed back. This actually turned into a mold issue. The units have been properly treated and incapsulated to prevent future growth. All were tested by a professional testing company with high water contents.
    Merry Christmas everyone!!!
    Linda
    Looks like you have gotten the mold taken care of. Was the cause of the mold taken care of.
    Bruce


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,546

    Default Re: Mold question

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    Oh I wouldn't say that it is harmless. The mold spores are still present and many people can be quite susceptible to them. Plus, when the owner sells the home the stains are going to become an issue again and he may be asked to correct it at that time.
    OK, I need to clarify what I said above. Black stain on lumber is not unusual and if the attic is dry, it is not an issue to worry about. If people are mould-sensitive, any damp space will be bad for them. The spores of umpteen varieties of mould are everywhere.

    I am posting a few pics here to illustrate what I mean. the first pic is the harmless sap stain on lumber. No problem.
    The other pics are from attics where I called for action - moist attics with active mould growth.

    The last pic is an example of a wood-destroying fungus on shiplap. It began to grow in a wet stack of lumber and is now dry and dormant. If moisture enters this attic, it will probably come back to life and kill somebody. Be careful up there.

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

  11. #11
    Linda Van Dyke's Avatar
    Linda Van Dyke Guest

    Default Re: Mold question

    Bruce,

    It was due to materials being stored improperly prior to delivery and being exposed to the elements for to long because of lack of roof coverage. No felt, shingles etc...
    They used a Dsinfx professional Mold Remediator first, then applied Protex Frame Protection. That prevents against fungal (mold and mildew), bacterial and algae growth and re-growth.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •