Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ocala Florida
    Posts
    105

    Default Roof shape question

    Two sides of home are partial hip and gable. This is a one story home at the area just above the ceiling line where it starts off as a gable then (at top) ends in a hip. Need to know how to rated this whether hip or gable. Thanks

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Whole House Fan

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Capistrano Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    Hello mark petty,

    I'm Brian Hannigan and I am the creator of InspectionNews

    Welcome aboard. Enjoy your visit here at InspectionNews and if there is anything I can help you with just let me know.

    InspectionNews has many Member Benefits available to you. Some save you time, others save you money and some do both!

    Make sure you view the list of Member Benefits at: http://www.InspectionNews.net/home_i...MemberBenefits

    View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

    -----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    2,740

    Default Re: Roof shape question

    Quote Originally Posted by mark petty View Post
    Two sides of home are partial hip and gable. This is a one story home at the area just above the ceiling line where it starts off as a gable then (at top) ends in a hip. Need to know how to rated this whether hip or gable. Thanks
    "Combination hip/gable roof"? Or you could be more vague and call it a "sloped roof".

    Department of Redundancy Department
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,881

    Default Re: Roof shape question

    Clipped hip or clipped gable.

    I've also seen it called other things, such as jerkinhead - there are probably other names for it too.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ocala Florida
    Posts
    105

    Default Re: Roof shape question

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Clipped hip or clipped gable.

    I've also seen it called other things, such as jerkinhead - there are probably other names for it too.
    Jerry thanks, but what i need to know is: do I rate it as gable or hip. Thanks


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,881

    Default Re: Roof shape question

    Quote Originally Posted by mark petty View Post
    Jerry thanks, but what i need to know is: do I rate it as gable or hip. Thanks
    Mark,

    For the OIR-B1-1802
    1) measure all the way around the house, add total hip length and total gable length to get total roof system perimeter
    2) calculate 10% of that total roof system perimeter
    3) IF total gable length equals 10% or less of total roof system perimeter - at 5. Roof Geometry, check A. Hip Roof and fill in the blanks with the lengths
    3b) IF the total gable length IS EXACTLY 10% of the total roof system perimeter - see 3) "equals 10% or less" because the form says "Hip roof with no other roof shapes greater than 10% of the total roof system perimeter.")
    4) IF the total gable length equals greater than that 10% of total roof system perimeter - at 5. Roof Geometry, check C. Other Roof

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ocala Florida
    Posts
    105

    Default Re: Roof shape question

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Mark,

    For the OIR-B1-1802
    1) measure all the way around the house, add total hip length and total gable length to get total roof system perimeter
    2) calculate 10% of that total roof system perimeter
    3) IF total gable length equals 10% or less of total roof system perimeter - at 5. Roof Geometry, check A. Hip Roof and fill in the blanks with the lengths
    3b) IF the total gable length IS EXACTLY 10% of the total roof system perimeter - see 3) "equals 10% or less" because the form says "Hip roof with no other roof shapes greater than 10% of the total roof system perimeter.")
    4) IF the total gable length equals greater than that 10% of total roof system perimeter - at 5. Roof Geometry, check C. Other Roof
    Jerry, thanks so much for taking the time; the photo was excellent, Mark


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,286

    Default Re: Roof shape question

    I take it this is a Florida hurricane thing?

    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,881

    Default Re: Roof shape question

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    I take it this is a Florida hurricane thing?
    Correct. Office of Insurance Regulation.

    It was created to establish guidelines to keep all insurance companies on the same page for consumers to be able to compare, something like that.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,801

    Default Re: Roof shape question

    Can be called a cut up roof due to the valleys. But, for Florida I don't think that would come close to muster.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,286

    Default Re: Roof shape question

    I remember reading something about hip roofs faring much better in hurricane or high wind events. Makes sense.

    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,881

    Default Re: Roof shape question

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    I remember reading something about hip roofs faring much better in hurricane or high wind events. Makes sense.
    Yes, hip roofs are much less susceptible to wind damage from high wind events (hurricanes and other high wind events.). Gable roofs are more easily damaged that other styles of roofs.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    2,740

    Default Re: Roof shape question

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Yes, hip roofs are much less susceptible to wind damage from high wind events (hurricanes and other high wind events.). Gable roofs are more easily damaged that other styles of roofs.

    "... wind events..."??? George Carlin is rolling over in his grave right about now.

    Department of Redundancy Department
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,881

    Default Re: Roof shape question

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    "... wind events..."??? George Carlin is rolling over in his grave right about now.
    You heard that one from over THERE? OMG!

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •