Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: What is This?

  1. #1
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default What is This?

    What is this connected to the water heater supply valve, and why is it here?

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    NHIE Practice Exam

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Re: What is This?

    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

  3. #3
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: What is This?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    JL: That is it. I wonder how it is that I have been in this business for this many years and have not seen one of these until this morning in McKinney.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Re: What is This?

    How long did it take for thermal expansion tanks to show up around here?

    I have yet to find one of these valves in the field. I understand, but have not seen yet, that there is also some sort of a thermal expansion relief device that mounts inside the toilet tank.
    Watts: Governor 80 | Ball Cock and Thermal Expansion Relief Valve
    Let us know if you see one of these.
    I can see the AHJ balking on these due to the propensity of DIY replacement with a standard assembly.

    Last edited by Jim Luttrall; 09-22-2009 at 12:51 PM.
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

  5. #5
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: What is This?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    How long did it take for thermal expansion tanks to show up around here?

    I have yet to find one of these valves in the field. I understand, but have not seen yet, that there is also some sort of a thermal expansion relief device that mounts inside the toilet tank.
    JL: Thanks for the warning. I have yet to see on of those either. What will be next? How about a steam relief valve for the builders to stick in the (r)ears?


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: What is This?

    Aaron,

    I'm sure you also got the other things with that water heater too.

    - vent not properly on draft hood
    - T&P discharge line not terminating in same room or space
    - too many elbows in the T&P discharge drain line
    - no sediment trap
    - no bollard (if in garage)

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  7. #7
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: What is This?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Aaron,

    I'm sure you also got the other things with that water heater too.

    - vent not properly on draft hood
    - T&P discharge line not terminating in same room or space
    - too many elbows in the T&P discharge drain line
    - no sediment trap
    - no bollard (if in garage)
    JP: Actually, it has a sediment trap.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: What is This?

    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    JP: Actually, it has a sediment trap.
    Where?

    I don't see one by the service shut off valve and I don't see one before the gas valve.

    Is it just the angle of the photo?

    Or are you counting the down drooping gas line which then rises up as 'the sediment trap'?

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  9. #9
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: What is This?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Where?

    I don't see one by the service shut off valve and I don't see one before the gas valve.

    Is it just the angle of the photo?

    Or are you counting the down drooping gas line which then rises up as 'the sediment trap'?
    JP: Send me a check for $250 and I'll go back to take a close-up for you . . .


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: What is This?

    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    JP: Send me a check for $250 and I'll go back to take a close-up for you . . .

    Not my rear end I was trying to help cover ... those hospital gowns leave more exposed than one would like.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: What is This?

    I have seen one before.It was on the main water line, not the water heater. Plumber said it takes the place of an expansion tank.
    I don't know if was exactly the same.

    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •