Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,446

    Default Gas explosion levels house in Knoxville

    A house blew up yesterday in Knoxville from what they guess was a gas leak. I have tried to attach a link to the local newspaper, but you can probably Google Gas explosion in Knoxville and get the same thing.
    Blast rips W. Knox home; son’s remains in rubble?» Knoxville News Sentinel

    Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

  2. #2
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Gas explosion levels house in Knoxville

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    A house blew up yesterday in Knoxville from what they guess was a gas leak. I have tried to attach a link to the local newspaper, but you can probably Google Gas explosion in Knoxville and get the same thing.
    Blast rips W. Knox home; son’s remains in rubble?» Knoxville News Sentinel
    JF: A travesty! The moronic arguments on another thread regarding the wisdom of redundant use of gas detectors and soap solutions for gas leak detection pale into oblivion . . .


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,797

    Default Re: Gas explosion levels house in Knoxville

    ".... an odor that could have been coming from a gas fireplace that had been leaking for weeks...According to the Stephensons, the Krzeskis had expressed concerns for weeks about a leaking gas fireplace in their home.“They just had their fireplace serviced this week because they could smell gas,” Steve Stephenson said."

    Last edited by Michael Thomas; 12-10-2009 at 08:26 AM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,446

    Default Re: Gas explosion levels house in Knoxville

    What is interesting is the utility company KUB says they had not received any calls from this house about a gas leak. Apparently they record all calls, and I do know that when I have called them about gas odors, they have come out right away.

    This was a 7000 SF house, so it must have been a huge gas leak. The view from the air in today's paper shows the debris field.

    Not sure I would want to be the guy that serviced the fireplace.


  5. #5
    chris mcintyre's Avatar
    chris mcintyre Guest

    Default Re: Gas explosion levels house in Knoxville

    It is very sad and tragic that they lost their son, and after looking at the photos it is amazing that they survived.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,546

    Default Re: Gas explosion levels house in Knoxville

    I browsed the posts and thought this comment was worth reposting here.
    buzz4t writes:

    I worked several years for the local gas company where I live. The article says they smelled gas from the fireplace and had someone come it and look at it. Gas ignites somewhere between 8-15% if I remember correctly after all these years. To blow up that house, it probably was leaking underground and following the service line to the house, and when the right percentage hit a ignition source, like the water heater, then the blast can be tremendous. Whoever was there to fix it didn't do a very good job of investigating the leak.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    1,217

    Default Re: Gas explosion levels house in Knoxville

    Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I browsed the posts and thought this comment was worth reposting here.
    buzz4t writes:

    I worked several years for the local gas company where I live. The article says they smelled gas from the fireplace and had someone come it and look at it. Gas ignites somewhere between 8-15% if I remember correctly after all these years. To blow up that house, it probably was leaking underground and following the service line to the house, and when the right percentage hit a ignition source, like the water heater, then the blast can be tremendous. Whoever was there to fix it didn't do a very good job of investigating the leak.
    That was the cause of a deadly explosion about a year ago at a restaurant in Pueblo.

    Rising from the ashes

    . . .

    The mechanics of what happened at the Branch Inn on that tragic afternoon are known.

    A little after 2 p.m. on that sunny Thursday, an explosion in the basement of the Branch Inn shattered the building and caved in the adjoining boutique. Windows in nearby buildings were blown out, and cars damaged. Emergency workers found injured people in the street and in the rubble of both buildings, as well as Ashley Johnson's body.

    The next day, investigators from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, along with Pueblo police, firefighters and investigators from Xcel began a four-day process of methodically taking apart the collapsed buildings, looking for the source of the explosion. Interviews with the restaurant owners, employees and other witnesses revealed the building had been plagued with a stinking smell for weeks.

    As part of the emergency response on that Thursday, Pueblo firefighters and an Xcel crew detected a gas leak along the line under C Street and shut it down. On Sunday, Nov. 16, that line was methodically excavated and investigators found that a gas line running to the Seabel's building just across C Street had separated at a compression fitting, creating a leak. The line had apparently been bowed with tension, causing the fitting to separate. From there, the leaking gas had migrated through the dirt and along other channels, such as old utility lines, to the basement of the Branch Inn where the gas collected, awaiting a spark.

    . . .


    "Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

  8. #8
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

  9. #9
    Phillip Bates's Avatar
    Phillip Bates Guest

    Default Re: Gas explosion levels house in Knoxville

    Explosive limits are about 4%LEL to about 15% UEL.Sometimes percent of gas exceeds upper explosive limit & incident occurs when building is ventilated thereby coming back down into the range of the explosive limits.Always unfortuante when an incident occurs after service has been performed.There are many unqualified/inexperienced people in the gas business.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI
    Posts
    4,086

    Default Re: Gas explosion levels house in Knoxville

    ....got up to investigate.

    Probably flipped a light switch in the wee hours of the morning.

    Rule no. 1, evacuate. Don't use phone, flip light switch, etc.

    Unfortunate story. Strange waited for weeks to address.

    Older shut off valves will often start leaking copious amounts of gas after having been operated for the first time in years. Work done might have done right, but aggrivated a developing problem upstream.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,446

    Default Re: Gas explosion levels house in Knoxville

    Todays paper said the previous owner had no problems. These people bought it in Sept 08 and had it inspected, again no problems.

    They did not name the company that serviced it this week, but Im guessing, they are so screwed.
    These houses are not that old (less than 10 years), but very large. This had a basement and 2 floors above.
    I'm not sure they will be able to tell much from what is left of the house. The two adjoining houses were also heavily damaged. Structural engineers will be checking them out. I guess one was rocked off the foundation.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,446

    Default Re: Gas explosion levels house in Knoxville

    Update!
    Today's paper said the two adjacent homes have major structural damage and are not occupied. There are also two other homes that had significant damage (one is probably directly across the street where the front door took out their garage door).


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •