Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Washer Box

  1. #1
    James Duffin's Avatar
    James Duffin Guest

    Default Washer Box

    Saw this pipe entering the top of the washer box today in a new house. Any ideas what the pipe may be for? It's not the A/C condensate drain or water heater backup pan drain.

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    NHIE Practice Exam

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,243

    Default Re: Washer Box

    Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    Any ideas what the pipe may be for? It's not the A/C condensate drain ...
    Maybe the a/c secondary condensate drain or from an auxiliary pan drain line?

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  3. #3
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Washer Box

    Is the water heater on the second floor or in the attic. It appears to be the pan drain line or my other guess would be the main condensation drain line that you already discounted.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: Washer Box

    Oversized pipe for a water softener drain line?

    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,243

    Default Re: Washer Box

    If no expansion tank for the water heater, maybe a pressure relief valve discharge line?

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: Washer Box

    Geez, let's hope not. Besides dangerous, it's the wrong material. I'm thinking you were right before, secondary AC cond. line.


  7. #7
    James Duffin's Avatar
    James Duffin Guest

    Default Re: Washer Box

    The water heater was in the garage and the secondary drain for the A/C dumped into the backup drain pan with a float switch. No drain from the pan. The main A/C drain went outside. Expansion tank in the crawl space. No water softener installed.


  8. #8
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Washer Box

    Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    The water heater was in the garage and the secondary drain for the A/C dumped into the backup drain pan with a float switch. No drain from the pan. The main A/C drain went outside. Expansion tank in the crawl space. No water softener installed.
    No secondary drain other than going into a pan under the unit. There should be a drain coming from the pan or the drain line comes out of the unit and then splits off to the drain pan and to the exterior or to a drain such as pictured.


  9. #9
    David Bell's Avatar
    David Bell Guest

    Default Re: Washer Box

    I haven't installed a drain in a secondary pan in years. Most owners won't go into the attic to change filters let alone check their pan and condensate drain periodically. With the improved reliability of the newer pan switches the unit shuts off before the pan overflows causing ceiling damage.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Washer Box

    Drain line for washer, where there is light water.
    Plumber was originally from Oakridge Tenn. where all the water is heavy.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    3,177

    Default Re: Washer Box

    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Drain line for washer, where there is light water.
    Plumber was originally from Oakridge Tenn. where all the water is heavy.
    Tritium drain?

    I guess now we have to buy Geiger counters!

    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

  12. #12
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Washer Box

    Quote Originally Posted by David Bell View Post
    I haven't installed a drain in a secondary pan in years. Most owners won't go into the attic to change filters let alone check their pan and condensate drain periodically. With the improved reliability of the newer pan switches the unit shuts off before the pan overflows causing ceiling damage.
    e

    Improve reliability ? That is exactly why you should still install a secodary drain pan


  13. #13
    David Bell's Avatar
    David Bell Guest

    Default Re: Washer Box

    I do install a pan, I don't install a drain in them.


  14. #14
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Washer Box

    Quote Originally Posted by David Bell View Post
    I do install a pan, I don't install a drain in them.
    I meant drain line from the pan


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •