Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Access Panel

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North Central Texas
    Posts
    472

    Default Access Panel

    Typical Texas builder. He says that all he is required to do is install an access panel for the hydro-therapy equipment. It does not matter if you can actually reach the equipment for service or removal . . .

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral SOC
    Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: Access Panel

    Besides the fact that there is no insulation in that part of the exterior wall.

    And that it looks like someone went from #14 NM to #12 NM, or vice versa.

    Is that a new house or an older house?

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North Central Texas
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: Access Panel

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Besides the fact that there is no insulation in that part of the exterior wall.

    And that it looks like someone went from #14 NM to #12 NM, or vice versa.

    Is that a new house or an older house?
    5 years old. No lintel or shelf angle over the opening in the brick veneer. It was supposedly pre-treated for subterranean termites by a borate application to the framing, but obviously was not, etc. ad infinitum. They also provided a nice big access panel in the skirt of the tub which also did not gain one access to the equipment. 104-page report. Could have been longer.

    Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    california
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: Access Panel

    For what it's worth (FWIW):

    1. various things in the pic suggests a property older than 5 years.

    2. perhaps the hydro was an afterthought, and the brickwork for the panel access was simply smashed in, hence the disturbed joints and the lower masonry cracking.

    3. thats not re- pointing, of course, merely an amateurish, smearing on.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,446

    Default Re: Access Panel

    You could show him Section P2720.1 of the IRC, if he can read.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North Central Texas
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: Access Panel

    Quote Originally Posted by tom daley View Post
    For what it's worth (FWIW):

    1. various things in the pic suggests a property older than 5 years.

    2. perhaps the hydro was an afterthought, and the brickwork for the panel access was simply smashed in, hence the disturbed joints and the lower masonry cracking.

    3. thats not re- pointing, of course, merely an amateurish, smearing on.
    1. It's not worth much. The CAD suggests that the house is exactly 5 years old.

    2. Hydro was installed at build.

    3. Sólo el trabajo de un albañil sin formación

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Aaron Miller; 10-18-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North Central Texas
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: Access Panel

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    You could show him Section P2720.1 of the IRC, if he can read.
    I was too embarrassed for him to ask.

    Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tyler, TX
    Posts
    719

    Default Re: Access Panel

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Miller View Post
    I was too embarrassed for him to ask.
    Yeah, since he doesn't grasp the meaning of "access"

    Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: Access Panel

    Isn't it true that you can build a house out there w/o a single permit?

    The MAZZA INSPECTION GROUP
    www.mazzainspections.com
    Level III Thermo-picture-taker-er...er

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wenatchee Wa
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: Access Panel

    You could show him the manufacturer specs also just for fun.

    Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

  11. #11
    Nolan Kienitz's Avatar
    Nolan Kienitz Guest

    Default Re: Access Panel

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Isn't it true that you can build a house out there w/o a single permit?
    Marc,

    Where in particular? Virtually all AHJs require permits throughout the entire new home build cycle.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: Access Panel

    Quote Originally Posted by Nolan Kienitz View Post
    Marc,

    Where in particular? Virtually all AHJs require permits throughout the entire new home build cycle.
    My brother lives in new braunfels, he told me this.

    The MAZZA INSPECTION GROUP
    www.mazzainspections.com
    Level III Thermo-picture-taker-er...er

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •