Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    WilliamGreen's Avatar
    WilliamGreen Guest

    Default What do you call this plastic type of water pipe.

    Came across this clear plastic pipe in a home. Is it a form of pex. the connecters are plastic fittings. What do you call this type of plumbing.
    IMG_0850.JPGIMG_0851.JPG

    Similar Threads:
    F.I.R.E. Services

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bennett (Denver metro), Colorado
    Posts
    1,394

    Default Re: What do you call this plastic type of water pipe.

    WIRSBO is the brand that I've used. Pronounced wersbo. Great stuff. It requires a special tool for the connections.

    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

  3. #3
    WilliamGreen's Avatar
    WilliamGreen Guest

    Default Re: What do you call this plastic type of water pipe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    WIRSBO is the brand that I've used. Pronounced wersbo. Great stuff. It requires a special tool for the connections.
    Thanks that helps a lot.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: What do you call this plastic type of water pipe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    WIRSBO is the brand that I've used. Pronounced wersbo. Great stuff. It requires a special tool for the connections.
    Uponor now.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: What do you call this plastic type of water pipe.

    The brand I see most often in the Phoenix area is "aqua pex".


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: What do you call this plastic type of water pipe.

    SharkBite make a lot of pex now. The fitting is a ProPEX Expansion fitting. Good stuff.

    Last I hate seeing that unsupported bend after the fitting. Especially with how stiff 3/4" pex is..

    untitled.JPG


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    389

    Default Re: What do you call this plastic type of water pipe.

    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamGreen View Post
    Came across this clear plastic pipe in a home. Is it a form of pex. the connecters are plastic fittings. What do you call this type of plumbing.
    IMG_0850.JPGIMG_0851.JPG
    Sorry to jump off topic, but what is that yellow thing to the left?


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    North Las Vegas Nv 89081
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: What do you call this plastic type of water pipe.

    Looks like polybutlepropoline. Not sure if I spelled it right. WE have a lot of that here.


  9. #9
    Alain Charron's Avatar
    Alain Charron Guest

    Default Re: What do you call this plastic type of water pipe.

    I personally think it is safe to just mention it as being "PEX" as opposed to "AQUA-PEX" or "WIRSBO-PEX"... As long as it is NOT POLYBUTYLENE.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    california
    Posts
    65

    Default Re: What do you call this plastic type of water pipe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry DiGiovanni View Post
    Looks like polybutlepropoline. Not sure if I spelled it right. WE have a lot of that here.
    What are you guys talking about this pipe is PEX the other comments are the fastening systems and brand names It should be supported every 32 inches on horizontal joist runs extremely durable if not a rodent issue or exposed to sunlight


  11. #11

    Default Re: What do you call this plastic type of water pipe.

    Could someone clue me in as to what PEX is the abbreviation for. I was told once that it was the abbreviation for the French name for cross stranded polyethylene, but I have been told a lot of things, not all of which were true.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,340

    Default Re: What do you call this plastic type of water pipe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Brown View Post
    Could someone clue me in as to what PEX is the abbreviation for. I was told once that it was the abbreviation for the French name for cross stranded polyethylene, but I have been told a lot of things, not all of which were true.
    PE is polyethylene, and the X is for crosslinked.

    From Uponor site:

    "Wirsbo emerged as the leader in the polyethylene pipe industry in 1968 when German inventor, Dr. Thomas Engel, developed a method to chemically crosslink polyethylene (PEX). A year later, Wirsbo successfully developed a viable manufacturing process, and in 1984, Wirsbo was incorporated. "


  13. #13

    Default Re: What do you call this plastic type of water pipe.

    Thanks


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: What do you call this plastic type of water pipe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    PE is polyethylene, and the X is for crosslinked.

    From Uponor site:

    "Wirsbo emerged as the leader in the polyethylene pipe industry in 1968 when German inventor, Dr. Thomas Engel, developed a method to chemically crosslink polyethylene (PEX). A year later, Wirsbo successfully developed a viable manufacturing process, and in 1984, Wirsbo was incorporated. "
    As the Uponor representative explained it so we (at the meeting) could get a visual image of it): Those Solo plastic cups are made of polyethylene with no cross-linking, you know how you would take those cups and bend the top, cracking it, then rip it straight down the side of the cup? That what would happen to the piping if it were not cross-linked. That was solved by adding in thousands of tiny men who clasp arms together very tightly and keep the polyethylene from tearing like those cups ... ... actually, if I remember correctly, it was the addition of hydrogen-peroxide to the polyethylene which causes the molecules to grab each other and hold tight.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  15. #15

    Default Re: What do you call this plastic type of water pipe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    As the Uponor representative explained it so we (at the meeting) could get a visual image of it): Those Solo plastic cups are made of polyethylene with no cross-linking, you know how you would take those cups and bend the top, cracking it, then rip it straight down the side of the cup? That what would happen to the piping if it were not cross-linked. That was solved by adding in thousands of tiny men who clasp arms together very tightly and keep the polyethylene from tearing like those cups ... ... actually, if I remember correctly, it was the addition of hydrogen-peroxide to the polyethylene which causes the molecules to grab each other anWow! That's a great visualization Jerry. Do you know of any documentation on that thesis that I might aquire for some light bedtime reading?d hold tight.
    Wow! That's a great visualization Jerry. Do you know of any documentation on that thesis that I might aquire for some light bedtime reading?

    George Hallaron: Owner primary inspector
    Bienvenue Home Inspections LLC
    www.bienvenuehomeinspections.com

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: What do you call this plastic type of water pipe.

    Quote Originally Posted by George Hallaron View Post
    Wow! That's a great visualization Jerry. Do you know of any documentation on that thesis that I might aquire for some light bedtime reading?
    I didn't get the names of all those men, probably small relatives of either the Munchkins or the Kebbler Elves.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •