Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: strap or p trap

  1. #1
    cory nystul's Avatar
    cory nystul Guest

    Default strap or p trap

    I found this today but i am unsure if its a p or s trap. I have been researching and found contradicting info.

    Can somebody please explain. Thanks much.

    DSCN2323.jpg

    Inspection Referral SOC

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: strap or p trap

    Because there is not a trap arm, it is an S trap.

    Also trap allowed is between 2-4"

    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,248

    Default Re: strap or p trap

    Neither.

    It looks to be what is called "crown vented" - the minimum trap arm length (as I recall) is two times the pipe diameter, that looks to be shorter than that.

    The definition of crown vented is slightly different than the above, but the above is close.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: strap or p trap

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Neither.

    It looks to be what is called "crown vented" - the minimum trap arm length (as I recall) is two times the pipe diameter, that looks to be shorter than that.

    The definition of crown vented is slightly different than the above, but the above is close.
    I mis spoke, thats what I was thinking of. Thanks for reminding me.

    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

  5. #5
    cory nystul's Avatar
    cory nystul Guest

    Default Re: strap or p trap

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    I mis spoke, thats what I was thinking of. Thanks for reminding me.
    I must admit i am completely oblivious of a crown vent. Is it acceptable? what are the upsides and downsides to this kind of vent. Should it be called out in a report?


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: strap or p trap

    Quote Originally Posted by cory nystul View Post
    I must admit i am completely oblivious of a crown vent. Is it acceptable? what are the upsides and downsides to this kind of vent. Should it be called out in a report?
    This shows a crown vent (p19)
    http://www.plumbingpros.com/pdf/dwvents.pdf

    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: strap or p trap

    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

  8. #8
    cory nystul's Avatar
    cory nystul Guest

    Default Re: strap or p trap

    Thanks to all. It very much confirmed what i thought as well as giving me more information to learn to help improve my inspecting skills. Thanks!!


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Healdsburg CA
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: strap or p trap

    As said in 1st reply, the maximum trap seal is 4" deep. That's measured from the top of the return bend on the bottom of the trap to the weir (where it overflows into the (too short) trap arm). This one appears to be more than 8" deep.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •