Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Irvine, California
    Posts
    48

    Default Why is the TPR valve there?

    maybe the plumber wanted show up.
    Do you think this valve will be functional?

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    2018 ASHI InspectionWorld

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NoCal
    Posts
    237

    Default Re: Why is the TPR valve there?

    The stem for that TPR valve should extend into the tank - not into the fitting or coupling I see above the tank top. Also there are too many bends in the drain line.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bennett (Denver metro), Colorado
    Posts
    1,394

    Default Re: Why is the TPR valve there?

    So many things wrong........and still the rest of the inspection to do......

    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: Why is the TPR valve there?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    So many things wrong........and still the rest of the inspection to do......
    Do you describe everything that is wrong, turning your report into a DIY, or is this one of those places that "further investigation and repair by licensed plumber" is warranted?

    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,246

    Default Re: Why is the TPR valve there?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    Do you describe everything that is wrong, ...
    Yes.

    But the report is not turned into a DIY report because the 'how to fix' is not included, just the 'what is wrong'.

    ... or is this one of those places that "further investigation and repair by licensed plumber" is warranted?
    There is basically NEVER a place or a need for that "further investigation and repair by licensed ... ".

    The only time something close to that would be when an engineer is needed TO DESIGN APPROPRIATE REPAIRS ... NOT to "further investigation ... " by ...

    The engineer will determine what, if anything, they need to investigate or evaluate, the engineer will then do whatever calculations they feel are necessary to come up with "appropriate repairs", then whatever the engineer comes up with is what needs to be done.

    And, yes, the engineer may determine that 'no repairs are necessary', in which case that is STILL the engineer's design for appropriate repairs.

    YOU - the HI - DID THE EVALUATION ... pushing the evaluation off onto others is a bad move, as has been demonstrated here on several occasions. Remember a recent one where the HI called out the electrical panel for "further evaluation by electrical contractor' (or similar wording), then the HI kept complaining that the electrical contractor said it was okay and nothing had to be corrected, yet the photos showed all of us the mess that was in that panel? As soon as the HI turns "the evaluation" over to another ... the HI no longer has any say whatsoever in the outcome.

    The HI should NEVER turn the evaluation over to another - or the HI should forevermore keep their mouth shut and never mention anything about that evaluation the other person did. The HI lost all right to say anything about the evaluation when they turned it over to another.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: Why is the TPR valve there?

    I can buy into that. It just gets so frustrating when getting the tank right side up is the only thing they got right.

    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Why is the TPR valve there?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    I can buy into that. It just gets so frustrating when getting the tank right side up is the only thing they got right.
    Bad idea, but he probably wanted the TPR to drain to an area that the proper location wouldn't allow.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    2,478

    Default Re: Why is the TPR valve there?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    There is basically NEVER a place or a need for that "further investigation and repair by licensed ... ".

    The HI should NEVER turn the evaluation over to another - or the HI should forevermore keep their mouth shut and never mention anything about that evaluation the other person did. The HI lost all right to say anything about the evaluation when they turned it over to another.
    While I agree in general with Jerry's comment, as a home inspector, I am a generalist and there are times when I find too many problems with some system or component to put into a report without spending an excessive amount of time on a single system. Electrical is one example. On occasion (I do this only rarely), I will make a statement like - "Numerous improper and unsafe electrical conditions were found during this inspection; including (insert several of the most egregious problems here). A licensed and qualified electrical contractor should be hired to evaluate the entire electrical system and make corrections, repairs or upgrades, as needed."

    The same can be true of plumbing, heating and roofing (OMG!).

    Department of Redundancy Department
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Why is the TPR valve there?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Im View Post
    maybe the plumber wanted show up.
    Do you think this valve will be functional?
    According to the installation instructions in the Kenmore Power Miser 8 owners manual:

    “For safe operation of the water heater, the relief valve must not be removed from it’s designated opening or plugged.”

    “The temperature-pressure relief valve must be installed directly into the fitting of the water heater designated for the relief valve.”

    See page 2, https://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis...M/99020017.pdf

    I would comment that the TPR installation is unsafe and recommend repair by a licensed plumber.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lake Barrington, IL
    Posts
    1,363

    Default Re: Why is the TPR valve there?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Im View Post
    Do you think this valve will be functional?
    Being "functional" and functioning as intended can be two different things.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Im View Post
    Do you think this valve will be functional?
    Being "functional" and functioning as intended can be two different things.

    Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

  11. #11
    Loren Sanders Sr.'s Avatar
    Loren Sanders Sr. Guest

    Default Re: Why is the TPR valve there?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    Being "functional" and functioning as intended can be two different things.

    - - - Updated - - -


    Being "functional" and functioning as intended can be two different things.
    It appears that the installer of the WH did not want to cut into the wall to lower the relief tubing tie in so it could be plumbed to the outlet in the side of the tank intended for the PRV. Even a proper install would at least require 4 or more elbows (frowned upon code calls for a minimum number of 90 degree turns and we don't know what is in the inside of the wall) if the tank could be rotated and still allow for the burner and pilot access plate. Not well thought out installation and PRV sensor could not reach inside the tank as required to do the job designed for....obviously no permit was taken out for this installation. But maybe this jurisdiction does not require a permit...


  12. #12

    Default Re: Why is the TPR valve there?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    While I agree in general with Jerry's comment, as a home inspector, I am a generalist and there are times when I find too many problems with some system or component to put into a report without spending an excessive amount of time on a single system. Electrical is one example. On occasion (I do this only rarely), I will make a statement like - "Numerous improper and unsafe electrical conditions were found during this inspection; including (insert several of the most egregious problems here). A licensed and qualified electrical contractor should be hired to evaluate the entire electrical system and make corrections, repairs or upgrades, as needed."

    The same can be true of plumbing, heating and roofing (OMG!).
    Not arguing with you, as I caught your line that you rarely do that. But.....I can hear that one now. Well your Honor, I put it all on the Electrician's head right there in them words right there.

    What do you mean the Electrician missed it?

    The Judge, maybe he would not have missed it if you would have written it down! After all, there must have been something you could have specifically written about the numerous unsafe issues. And was this one of them?

    PROFESSIONAL CONSULTING AND INSPECTION COMPANY INCLUDING FORENSIC INVESTIGATIONS

    http://jeffghooper.com/

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    2,478

    Default Re: Why is the TPR valve there?

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffGHooper View Post
    Not arguing with you, as I caught your line that you rarely do that. But.....I can hear that one now. Well your Honor, I put it all on the Electrician's head right there in them words right there. What do you mean the Electrician missed it? The Judge, maybe he would not have missed it if you would have written it down! After all, there must have been something you could have specifically written about the numerous unsafe issues. And was this one of them?
    Good Point JeffG,

    I think the statement that I use also includes something to the effect of "... other improper and/or unsafe wiring conditions are likely present" before deferring.

    Once again, I am a generalist and feel that noting every single problem/condition when the entire system is in poor shape would either end up with me spending an excessive amount of time on an inspection or neglecting other parts of the home, while still missing some problems (who checks wire size at a splice?).

    How about "Well your honor, I was so busy documenting all of the egregious electrical problems that I didn't notice the ancient furnace belching flames..."

    I think this also goes along with "last man in". The electrical contractor is the expert and I deferred the entire system to his expertise.



    Department of Redundancy Department
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •