Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    574

    Default Condensing type heater drain under slab.

    This is a new home. Both the dehumidifier and the condensate from gas water heater drain into a hole in the floor below slab. (goes nowhere except to soil under slab.

    This certainly is not good practice, but does anyone know if this a code issue?

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    NHIE Practice Exam
    Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: Condensing type heater drain under slab.

    not code but from memory.
    Must drain to an approved place of discharge, and under the slab ain't it.

    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,446

    Default Re: Condensing type heater drain under slab.

    I see these from time to time, but the pipe goes to exterior. Did you look down the pipe and see earth?


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    574

    Default Re: Condensing type heater drain under slab.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    not code but from memory.
    Must drain to an approved place of discharge, and under the slab ain't it.
    Interesting Rick.
    Do you happen to know where in the code it says this & what does "approved place mean?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I see these from time to time, but the pipe goes to exterior. Did you look down the pipe and see earth?
    No outlet. Just drains to a hole under the slab. We just have sand here so the discharge under the slab results in wash-out caverns, retains moisture, attracts insects and allows radon gas to enter.

    I always write this up, but builders tell me "This is how we do it, it's not illegal and it's better than relying on an electrical pump". I'm trying to determine if it is a code violation.

    Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,248

    Default Re: Condensing type heater drain under slab.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Must drain to an approved place of discharge ...
    "Approved" means (in the building codes) "approved by the building official".

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: Condensing type heater drain under slab.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Amelin View Post
    Interesting Rick.
    Do you happen to know where in the code it says this & what does "approved place mean?"
    As I said, not code but from memory.
    But for your convenience:
    (bold added)

    2006 IRCCHAPTER 28
    WATER HEATERS
    P2801.5.1 Pan size and drain. The pan shall be not less
    than 11/2 inches (38 mm) deep and shall be of sufficient size
    and shape to receive all dripping or condensate from the
    tank or water heater. The pan shall be drained by an indirect
    waste pipe having a minimum diameter of 3/4 inch (19 mm).
    Piping for safety pan drains shall be of those materials listed
    in Table P2904.5.
    P2801.5.2 Pan drain termination. The pan drain shall
    extend full-size and terminate over a suitably located indirect
    waste receptor or shall extend to the exterior of the
    building and terminate not less than 6 inches (152 mm) and
    not more than 24 inches (610 mm) above the adjacent
    ground surface.


    SECTION P2706
    WASTE RECEPTORS
    P2706.1 General. Every waste receptor shall be of an approved
    type. Plumbing fixtures or other receptors receiving the discharge
    of indirectwaste pipes shall be shaped and have a capacity to prevent
    splashing or flooding and shall be readily accessible for
    inspection and cleaning.Waste receptors and standpipes shall be
    trapped and vented and shall connect to the building drainage system.


    SECTION R202
    DEFINITIONS
    APPROVED. Acceptable to the building official.

    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Condensing type heater drain under slab.

    I would never approve that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    As I said, not code but from memory.
    But for your convenience:
    (bold added)

    2006 IRCCHAPTER 28
    WATER HEATERS
    P2801.5.1 Pan size and drain. The pan shall be not less
    than 11/2 inches (38 mm) deep and shall be of sufficient size
    and shape to receive all dripping or condensate from the
    tank or water heater. The pan shall be drained by an indirect
    waste pipe having a minimum diameter of 3/4 inch (19 mm).
    Piping for safety pan drains shall be of those materials listed
    in Table P2904.5.
    P2801.5.2 Pan drain termination. The pan drain shall
    extend full-size and terminate over a suitably located indirect
    waste receptor or shall extend to the exterior of the
    building and terminate not less than 6 inches (152 mm) and
    not more than 24 inches (610 mm) above the adjacent
    ground surface.


    SECTION P2706
    WASTE RECEPTORS
    P2706.1 General. Every waste receptor shall be of an approved
    type. Plumbing fixtures or other receptors receiving the discharge
    of indirectwaste pipes shall be shaped and have a capacity to prevent
    splashing or flooding and shall be readily accessible for
    inspection and cleaning.Waste receptors and standpipes shall be
    trapped and vented and shall connect to the building drainage system.


    SECTION R202
    DEFINITIONS
    APPROVED. Acceptable to the building official.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •