Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Hot water lines

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    3

    Default Hot water lines

    Hello, I hope someone can help me here. Trying to figure out what all the lines coming out of hot water tank are. There's a total of 9 hot water fixtures through the condo, what are all the rest, cold?

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    27,136

    Default Re: Hot water lines

    If I am looking at it correctly, the third photo tells the story:

    Cold water comes in from the top left (where the shut off valve is).

    The top manifold are cold water lines.

    The cold is tapped off to the water heater.

    There is a mixing valve.

    The hot from the water heater goes to the bottom of the mixing valve.

    Below the mixing valve are two hot water lines which are not tempered through the mixing valve - clothes washer and dishwasher maybe?

    From the mixing valve to the right is a manifold with tempered only water which goes to all the 'hot' for the fixtures.

    Jerry Peck
    Construction Litigation Consultant ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Hot water lines

    Jerry, thanks for the reply. I think your right, I just never seen so many lines coming out of a HW Tank.
    K
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    If I am looking at it correctly, the third photo tells the story:

    Cold water comes in from the top left (where the shut off valve is).

    The top manifold are cold water lines.

    The cold is tapped off to the water heater.

    There is a mixing valve.

    The hot from the water heater goes to the bottom of the mixing valve.

    Below the mixing valve are two hot water lines which are not tempered through the mixing valve - clothes washer and dishwasher maybe?

    From the mixing valve to the right is a manifold with tempered only water which goes to all the 'hot' for the fixtures.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,600

    Default Re: Hot water lines

    In a condo inspection, I would be making sure there is a faucet (or a floor heating loop) for every one of those heated lines. Otherwise, another unit could be getting heated water from the same source.

    I remember a building with 7 units where one guy's electric meter supplied the common laundry room and a second WH.

    "Water Heater" (WH) is more correct, as in professional.

    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Hot water lines

    John, that's what I was worried about. There is 9 lines and 9 fixtures.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    In a condo inspection, I would be making sure there is a faucet (or a floor heating loop) for every one of those heated lines. Otherwise, another unit could be getting heated water from the same source.

    I remember a building with 7 units where one guy's electric meter supplied the common laundry room and a second WH.

    "Water Heater" (WH) is more correct, as in professional.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    27,136

    Default Re: Hot water lines

    Quote Originally Posted by Ermanno D'Angelo View Post
    John, that's what I was worried about. There is 9 lines and 9 fixtures.
    Likely with a home run to/from the manifolds and each fixture.

    It is not uncommon for manifolds to be plumbed with home runs to/from each fixture - maybe it is even 'standard practice' to plumb manifolds that way as it makes best use of the manifolds (rather than taking one run out to all fixtures and dead-ending the run at the last fixture) ... albeit that method uses more piping than a single run out to the end uses.

    Jerry Peck
    Construction Litigation Consultant ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    FL, TX
    Posts
    139

    Default Re: Hot water lines

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Likely with a home run to/from the manifolds and each fixture.

    It is not uncommon for manifolds to be plumbed with home runs to/from each fixture - maybe it is even 'standard practice' to plumb manifolds that way as it makes best use of the manifolds (rather than taking one run out to all fixtures and dead-ending the run at the last fixture) ... albeit that method uses more piping than a single run out to the end uses.
    Yes, but with PEX it might actually be cheaper to run home runs for each fixture. I have seen systems that a manifold of say 3/4-1 inch to sub-manifolds in other locations in the house to say 1/2 inch runs as well.

    Hi Jerry, havent talked in a while. Hope all is well!


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •