Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    McKinney Texas
    Posts
    501

    Default TANKLESS WATER HEATER WITHOUT TEMPERATURE CONTROLLER PHOTOS

    I have inspected many homes with tankless water heaters. Most were Rinnai or Rheem brand. Some were located in the attic, some wall mounted inside a garage, and some inside an exterior wall panel. In every case but one, the Rinnai water heaters had a temperature controller ( a "thermostat"). However in one new development neighborhood where i have inspected several homes, every Rinnai water heater in the neighborhood has no apparent thermostat. I contacted the manufacture and was told each water heater was provided with a temperature controller, however for some reason this one neighborhood does not have the temperature controllers installed. There is nothing apparent to indicate there is a wireless model thermostat or MC-91-2W.jpgwired model on any of them. When I flagged one during a recent inspection, the builder reluctantly installed it, but I never got a clear answer on what it was not installed in the first place. Each water heater in the neighborhood is this way. I can understand one or two, but not the entire neighborhood. (I have included a stock photo of a temperature controller).

    IMG_0252.JPG IMG_0247.JPGRINNAI TEMP CONTROLLER 1.jpgrinnai v65.jpg

    Similar Threads:
    F.I.R.E. Services

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    27,207

    Default Re: TANKLESS WATER HEATER WITHOUT TEMPERATURE CONTROLLER PHOTOS

    It may has a thermostat - just a factory preset one and not an adjustable one?

    The photo you show is an exterior model, they have different controls as their controls are not designed to be exposed to the weather.

    Your first photo (with the cover off) cuts off the top half of the unit.

    Jerry Peck
    Construction Litigation Consultant ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    McKinney Texas
    Posts
    501

    Default Re: TANKLESS WATER HEATER WITHOUT TEMPERATURE CONTROLLER PHOTOS

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    It may has a thermostat - just a factory preset one and not an adjustable one?

    The photo you show is an exterior model, they have different controls as their controls are not designed to be exposed to the weather.

    Your first photo (with the cover off) cuts off the top half of the unit.
    Hi Jerry, It appears the water heater defaults to a 120 degree setting and stays there. I have never seen a residential water heater where the homeowner had no way to adjust the temperature. Like an oven or AC unit that was preset to one temperature. The manufacture specified a specific model thermostat that was not apparent, and saw nothing to suggest it was installed.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    27,207

    Default Re: TANKLESS WATER HEATER WITHOUT TEMPERATURE CONTROLLER PHOTOS

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    The manufacture specified a specific model thermostat that was not apparent, and saw nothing to suggest it was installed.
    Gene,

    When you called the manufacturer, did you have the serial number and did they check their manufacturing records to verify that the unit was or was not manufactured with the specified thermostat?

    The manufacturer may have a preset thermostat version for contractor pricing, like many other "contractor models" of appliances and stuff where something is deemed "not necessary" and saves the contractor $1.00 per unit. While $1.00 isn't anything to a home buyer, to a national builder who builds 10,000 homes ... that's $10,000 into the bottom line for investors in the company

    Jerry Peck
    Construction Litigation Consultant ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    McKinney Texas
    Posts
    501

    Default Re: TANKLESS WATER HEATER WITHOUT TEMPERATURE CONTROLLER PHOTOS

    Hi Jerry, I did not provide the serial number to the manufacture, nor did they inquire about it. I only had the model number and they told me it cam with a specific controller. It didn't occur to me they might need the serial number. The serial number wasn't apparent. I would have had to remove the cover to find it i think.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,244

    Default Re: TANKLESS WATER HEATER WITHOUT TEMPERATURE CONTROLLER PHOTOS

    Reading the manual, it seems it reverts to preset temp much like an electric tank style heater and can be changed to 120 or 140 unless the temperature controller is installed. I personally got used to finding the controller in odd locations and never paid much attention. Seems like the manufacturer is not too concerned.
    I did notice there is a minimum water pressure of 50 psi, never noticed that.

    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    27,207

    Default Re: TANKLESS WATER HEATER WITHOUT TEMPERATURE CONTROLLER PHOTOS

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    ... unless the temperature controller is installed. I personally got used to finding the controller in odd locations and never paid much attention.
    From Jim's reply, the thermostats could be in strange locations, or ... the contractor simply did not install the thermostats.

    However, being as the installation instructions says that the temperature controller is included and page 22 shows how to mount and wire the controller ... and the installation instructions state (under "MUST DO" on page 4, continues on page 5 with this: "You must follow the installation instructions and those in Care and Maintenance for adequate combustion air intake and exhaust." ( https://www.rinnai-lms.com/resources...5%20Manual.pdf )

    Jerry Peck
    Construction Litigation Consultant ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    76

    Default Re: TANKLESS WATER HEATER WITHOUT TEMPERATURE CONTROLLER PHOTOS

    If it was a new neighborhood Wi-Fi installlation happened after the House was completed. He would have to go back to complete the installation, hence not installed.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    76

    Default Re: TANKLESS WATER HEATER WITHOUT TEMPERATURE CONTROLLER PHOTOS

    And since the unit defaults to 120 it was an extra step?he,the plumber ? deemed unnecessary and adequate for its intended purpose.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: TANKLESS WATER HEATER WITHOUT TEMPERATURE CONTROLLER PHOTOS

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    I have inspected many homes with tankless water heaters. Most were Rinnai or Rheem brand. Some were located in the attic, some wall mounted inside a garage, and some inside an exterior wall panel. In every case but one, the Rinnai water heaters had a temperature controller ( a "thermostat"). However in one new development neighborhood where i have inspected several homes, every Rinnai water heater in the neighborhood has no apparent thermostat. I contacted the manufacture and was told each water heater was provided with a temperature controller, however for some reason this one neighborhood does not have the temperature controllers installed. There is nothing apparent to indicate there is a wireless model thermostat or MC-91-2W.jpgwired model on any of them. When I flagged one during a recent inspection, the builder reluctantly installed it, but I never got a clear answer on what it was not installed in the first place. Each water heater in the neighborhood is this way. I can understand one or two, but not the entire neighborhood. (I have included a stock photo of a temperature controller).

    IMG_0252.JPG IMG_0247.JPGRINNAI TEMP CONTROLLER 1.jpgrinnai v65.jpg
    I would guess that the thermostat (since this is an exterior model) is likely located inside the basement, for example, since an exterior thermostat control would not be very user friendly, especially in winter.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: TANKLESS WATER HEATER WITHOUT TEMPERATURE CONTROLLER PHOTOS

    I would explain to the builder why the temp controllers were necessary and the importance of following the manufactures installation instructions, and the consequences that may occur if they are not followed.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •