Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 66 to 108 of 108
  1. #66
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Bar Be Que

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I have had Texas Barbeque. What I had was very good. I have to say I am partial to pork rather than beef, but that's just me.

    I also have to say that I really did not care for North Carolina Barbeque, because of the vinegar based sauces.

    I guess the same can be said for assuming "your" barbeque is better than anyone elses.
    Jack: Just prodding you a bit. Acutally, and I do hate so much to admit this - the best pork I ever ate was just outside of Memphis.

    NHIE Practice Exam

  2. #67
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Bar Be Que

    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Jack: Just prodding you a bit. Acutally, and I do hate so much to admit this - the best pork I ever ate was just outside of Memphis.
    I have had barbeque from, oh, 20 to 25 different states, who knows, maybe more. It all depends on where you get the barbeque. In most places you get it (or should I say all) they believe theirs is the best in the world. 75 percent of it ***** The other 25 percent is a pretty good toss up.

    I also et some barbequed pork outside memphis and I will say I cannot remember the name of the place but is was about the tstiest tenderest pork I ever et. It was good enough to mention being I still remember it 20 plus years agao.


  3. #68
    Steven Meyer's Avatar
    Steven Meyer Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    [QUOTE=Jim Luttrall;

    That said, there are many arrogant SOB's that are piss poor inspectors even though they have been around since dirt.[/QUOTE]

    I doubt most newbees have a know it all attitude. From most of the posts, it seems to be the older the dirt inspectors that are guilty of that attitude.

    Is it quite possible that a newbee will take more time, more care, double check his results, due to the fact he is new and doesn't want to make a mistake? Unlike the "I know it all" older inspector who will blast throu the inspection.


    I would have more problems with the older "know it all. I've been at this for XXX number of years" than I would with an younger inspector who knows he is on a learning curve, and tries harder.

    Which would you rather trust, A 70 year old doctor, or a younger one that has more recent education/knowledge?


  4. #69
    Steven Meyer's Avatar
    Steven Meyer Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by David Nice View Post
    A.D. when you say "It has been proven that competence in any given field requires 10,000 hours of assiduous attention focused in that field."and then cite the theoretical works of Gladwell as evidence of a proven fact, your credibility slips to near zero.

    The "10,000 hour rule" was a proposal, not a statement of fact. Gladwell' evidence is purely subjective, not scientific.
    JUNK SCIENCE: No need for "evidence" of a "proven fact". It was a theory, therefore must be true, no evidence is needed!

    Can you imagine, 10,000 hours to become a good burger flipper??!!

    Last edited by Steven Meyer; 05-12-2009 at 12:49 PM.

  5. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Posts
    1,072

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    This is the best pork you will ever have. People drive hundreds of miles to get it. N.C. Barbeque: Lexington Barbecue #1
    It's an old building with big wood burning pits. You can smell the pork a mile down the rd. Lexington Style BBQ Restaurants
    Dang I'm hungry now.

    Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

  6. #71
    David Nice's Avatar
    David Nice Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    DN: My credibility slipping in your eyes is the least of my concerns, I assure you.
    I'm sure it is. Your saving grace is that few will bother to look up the reading material to find that you have been fast and loose with what you call "proven".


  7. #72
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by David Nice View Post
    I'm sure it is. Your saving grace is that few will bother to look up the reading material to find that you have been fast and loose with what you call "proven".
    DN: Tsk, tsk. Au contraire. I believe that referring others to reading materials I find of interest does many good things. It promotes authors I find talented and it introduces others to ideas they might otherwise have overlooked.

    Maybe you don't like Malcolm Gladwell. Maybe you don't care for the Washington Post or the New Yorker. Perhaps you don't care for Brits living in New York via Canada. I just do not know. But, I think it may be you that you do not like.

    If that's not the case, then prove it to us by acting like it.


  8. #73
    David Nice's Avatar
    David Nice Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    DN: Tsk, tsk. Au contraire. I believe that referring others to reading materials I find of interest does many good things. It promotes authors I find talented and it introduces others to ideas they might otherwise have overlooked.
    AD: You are right. It may be a good thing to refer others to works you are interested in. I only take umbrage to the use of one particular authors theory and stating "that it has been proven". No more, no less.

    Just as we need to be accurate in our representation of the condition of real property, it is equally helpful to properly distinguish between fact and theory.


  9. #74
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by David Nice View Post
    AD: You are right. It may be a good thing to refer others to works you are interested in. I only take umbrage to the use of one particular authors theory and stating "that it has been proven". No more, no less.

    Just as we need to be accurate in our representation of the condition of real property, it is equally helpful to properly distinguish between fact and theory.
    DN: Now let us not wax philosophical here. When it comes right down to it, nothing is proven. Nada. Zilch.

    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -Albert Einstein

    Read more of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, Neils Bohr's works, et al.

    Kansas isn't Kansas any more.


  10. #75
    David Nice's Avatar
    David Nice Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    DN: Now let us not wax philosophical here. When it comes right down to it, nothing is proven. Nada. Zilch.

    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -Albert Einstein

    Read more of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, Neils Bohr's works, et al.

    Kansas isn't Kansas any more.
    OK, and you might like "Contingency. ironly, and solidarity" by Richard Rorty.
    (Richard Rorty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I think Kansas never was Kansas as peole knew it.


  11. #76
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by David Nice View Post
    OK, and you might like "Contingency. ironly, and solidarity" by Richard Rorty.
    (Richard Rorty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I think Kansas never was Kansas as peole knew it.
    DN: I read his later work, "Achieving Our Country : Leftist Thought in Twentieth-Century America", which, if I remember, was rather good. I will check the other out and read it in the next few weeks.

    Thanks for the referral.


  12. #77
    Gary Cox's Avatar
    Gary Cox Guest

    Talking Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Just be great at what you do...over time the price shoppers tend to go away for the most part.
    If you advertise ... expect price shoppers...your just another loaf of bread.

    ...if the caller is bold enough to tell you your price is too high...just say "Well, I guess those other guys know what their worth," ...and get back to work.

    GC.


  13. #78
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Cox View Post
    Just be great at what you do...over time the price shoppers tend to go away for the most part.
    If you advertise ... expect price shoppers...your just another loaf of bread.

    ...if the caller is bold enough to tell you your price is too high...just say "Well, I guess those other guys know what their worth," ...and get back to work.

    GC.
    GC: Sound advice.


  14. #79
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    358

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Close to what I would do on occasion.

    I'd tell them ... Well, let's see, you are paying 6% just for the privilege of being able to BUY the house, so it is worth AT LEAST that same 6% to actually find out and know what you are buying, right?

    (then some silence from you ... and them as they let that 6% soak in ... $500k x 6% = $30,000 ... )

    Then you come back in and say ... And to think that I can do that for MUCH LESS THAN 6% ... (allow them time to wipe their forehead and go whew!) ... in fact, I can do that for even less than 1/10 of that ... (let that math soak in ... $30,000 / 10 = $3,000) ... (then continue) ... I will even do my inspection for less than that, instead of paying 6% or $30,000 just for the privilege to buy the house, I will inspect it for (insert price here - it will be a heck a lot less than 1/10 that 6%) ...
    Actually, at least here in Washington State, the buyer does not pay the 6% commission - the listing and selling fees along with excise tax is paid for by the Seller - Buyers only pay loan origination fees and some closing costs. Good Day Gentlemen.


  15. #80
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,248

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hintz View Post
    Actually, at least here in Washington State, the buyer does not pay the 6% commission - the listing and selling fees along with excise tax is paid for by the Seller - Buyers only pay loan origination fees and some closing costs. Good Day Gentlemen.
    That's what they all say, but do the math ... where does the seller get the money to pay those fees?

    Yep ... from the buyer, therefore the buyer actually pays those fees, in fact, the buyer pays all fees and all costs as everything comes out of the money the buyer puts up (down payment and loan proceeds).

    You've got to look at the overall picture.



    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  16. #81
    Steven Meyer's Avatar
    Steven Meyer Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    That's what they all say, but do the math ... where does the seller get the money to pay those fees?

    Yep ... from the buyer, therefore the buyer actually pays those fees, in fact, the buyer pays all fees and all costs as everything comes out of the money the buyer puts up (down payment and loan proceeds).

    You've got to look at the overall picture.

    Very true!! The seller knows what he wants to NET out of the transaction after all costs are paid (including commissions), becomes the purchase price, thus, in reality the buyer is paying that "cost" of the sale.

    Personally, I believe the RE commission structure is totally out of whack, given the prices of houses these days. A smart buyer (and seller) can, however, necogate a commission "discount" to "make the deal work".

    And, who in reality pays ALL the taxes the government imposes? The consumer! This "stick it to the large corporations with corp, income taxes" you have just stuck it to yourself. It's a cost of doing business, and is thus added onto the price of the goods you purchase.


  17. #82
    Steven Meyer's Avatar
    Steven Meyer Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hintz View Post
    Actually, at least here in Washington State, the buyer does not pay the 6% commission - the listing and selling fees along with excise tax is paid for by the Seller - Buyers only pay loan origination fees and some closing costs. Good Day Gentlemen.
    The seller "writes" the check, but the actual cost is added into the selling price in one way or the other. Just a shell game!!!


  18. #83
    Allison Grant's Avatar
    Allison Grant Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    In South Florida, inspections run about $250 for mid-sized home. I recently started a new website, www.chinesedrywallinspector, for home inspectors that specialize in identifying Chinese drywall. Send me an email at listings@chinesedrywallinspector.com if you would like to be included in the directory.


  19. #84
    Mark Howe's Avatar
    Mark Howe Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Russell View Post
    Hey Guys,

    As most of you probably know I am new to the business so I have a question about pricing. I have received a couple of calls lately from people price shopping for a Home inspection. One was a guy looking to get one done on a HUD home, it was 1500 sq ft, slab, and around 30 years old. I quoted him a price of $225, never heard from him again. Then yesterday a woman called me wanting a price quote on a 4,000 sq ft. home with a crawl space that was 15 years old. I quoted her a price of $400. I have yet to hear back from her. Am I missing the boat somewhere here guys or are there just that many people out there willing to do a Home inspection for next to nothing? I really thought those prices I quoted were very reasonable. What is typical of what you guys charge for similar sized homes? I really can't afford to keep missing the boat like this, please tell me what I am doing wrong here!
    Hey Reggie,
    I am sorta in your neighborhood (same state anyway), and your prices are on the low end. Not bargain basement low, but pretty low . Like others have said, it is probably your pitch more than your price.

    Decatur/Huntsvegas is a pretty affluent area. Lots of educated people working in high tech industries, making good money. Point being, you have a demographic that will, by and large, understand that excellence comes with a price tag.

    What we do with price shoppers is tell them right off the bat that we are the most expensive in the area. No question about it. No discounts. No deals. Then we tell them why. I would recommend that you consider raising your rates. You will build a better referral base while bypassing the cheapskates (who always seem to be the more troublesome clients). Whatever you do, don't be concerned with what others are charging except to make sure that you charge more than they do.


    Best regards,
    Tim


  20. #85
    Mark Howe's Avatar
    Mark Howe Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by Allison Grant View Post
    In South Florida, inspections run about $250 for mid-sized home. I recently started a new website, www.chinesedrywallinspector, for home inspectors that specialize in identifying Chinese drywall. Send me an email at listings@chinesedrywallinspector.com if you would like to be included in the directory.
    Not to put too fine a point on it Allison, but I know a good number of SoFla inspectors. None of them will leave their driveways for $250.00. This kind of spurrious information is not good for any of us. I do not believe a 250.00 inspection fee for a 'mid size' house is a fee that an established, competent inspector in a HIGH cost of living area would charge. It would be closer to double that. Setting expectations of 250.00 fees is not helpful to any of us.

    Tim


  21. #86
    John Martino's Avatar
    John Martino Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Rick, I agree with you 100% on your philosophy and phone technique. I agree we should make the client feel comfortable and not rush into fees. Asking about their concerns shows that you are listening and interested. Then you can get into the fees. I ways try to build report with the customer first.
    New Jersey Home Inspector performs New Jersey Home Inspections


  22. #87
    JORY LANNES's Avatar
    JORY LANNES Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Lets say you get a call for a 3000 sq ft 8 rooms 4 bedrooms 2 1/2 baths 2 a/c and 2 furnances. Selling price $600,000. What would you charge???

    Do you know what your costs are? How much do you think you should earn per hour.

    A house described above would take 3-4 hours to inspect. It would take me another 2-3 hours to write the report including photos. total estimated hours 5-7 hours. Is your time and expertise worth $100 hr?

    I would bid this house out for $650......How would you price it. What criteria do you use?

    Jory Lannes
    Lannes Group Inspections
    Chicago
    Chicago


  23. #88
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Posts
    1,072

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Again it is all in what your area can stand. You charge $650 here for 3000 sq. home you will be out of Buisness. My area it's between $350.00 and $400.00

    Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

  24. #89
    JORY LANNES's Avatar
    JORY LANNES Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Thanks for your imput Mike. My point is You must know your market,cost of doing business and desired gross and net profit. Pricing encompases more than what the other guy is charging. Get the facts and run your business as a business.


  25. #90
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by JORY LANNES View Post
    Thanks for your imput Mike. My point is You must know your market,cost of doing business and desired gross and net profit. Pricing encompases more than what the other guy is charging. Get the facts and run your business as a business.

    And as Mike said. If one were to even dream of charging 650 for a 3000 sq ft home they would never have an inspection in my area as well. Up North where there are basements and much older homes I hear of folks getting it all the time.

    Yes one must know there market. I always read comments about the low baller not being in business very long. Hmm. I know a half dozen 200 dollar inspectors that have been around for years. I just lost a couple to the guy that is listed on another thread.

    Yes other home inspectors to have a bearing on price no matter what your experience and back ground.

    3000 su ft around here plus the garage added in may get in the low 3s and then of course you have the folks with termite licences throwing a free termite inspection with the home inspection. That is not a bad gig if you are pulling in alot of inspections. 10 inspections at 320=3200 a week. I do know a few that do that. I use an outside source for my termiote a 70 a piece. 3200x 50 weeks is 160,000 a year. Oh yeah, break it down for bad times to 6 a week..... 96,000 a year. Not bad for a one man band. I am sure they are pocketing half that in cash as well and banking 50,000 to 75,000 in cash a year. Most have a workjing wife pulling in an income. Yep...life is good for some. The give away market can be fruitfull.


  26. #91
    Ron Bibler's Avatar
    Ron Bibler Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    The one thing each one has over look in this tread.

    When some one calls you.. 99% of the time they are looking for something?

    They may imply its about money... by asking how much is your inspection.


    Rick was very close in his Post.

    " Try to avoid talking "costs"

    Ask them about what they've seen at the home that may be of a concern to them? They always will come back with something.

    Tell them that your making notes to be sure and check those concerns for them. "

    Ricks point is to find out what they want and .what they need...

    If you can find out these things then the cost is not the issue anymore.

    If you can get to the place they are.
    LIKE... We want to know if we remove a wall to open the interior up? BINGO...

    I can help you with that Your the first inspector with there answer..

    You now under stand what IT is they want. YOUR IN...

    And get your inspection fees up... your in this for the MONEY...

    GREED IS GOOD. ...Be a Capitalist Pig...

    Best

    Ron


  27. #92
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by JORY LANNES View Post
    Lets say you get a call for a 3000 sq ft 8 rooms 4 bedrooms 2 1/2 baths 2 a/c and 2 furnances. Selling price $600,000. What would you charge???

    Do you know what your costs are? How much do you think you should earn per hour.

    A house described above would take 3-4 hours to inspect. It would take me another 2-3 hours to write the report including photos. total estimated hours 5-7 hours. Is your time and expertise worth $100 hr?

    I would bid this house out for $650......How would you price it. What criteria do you use?

    Jory Lannes
    Lannes Group Inspections
    Chicago
    Chicago
    It's those old piece of garbage homes that are mixed throughout the city that will keep your price up along with the height of the roofs and basements in all. Thats a big difference. That is twice the home we usually do due to the fact of the age bracket I look into are a very large amount of slabs, no basements or crawls, vast majority 20 and younger (mine are in the norm for the majority of under 15 years) newer electric HVAC water heaters, framing etc etc etc.

    Its not always charge this because of that and push the market up and charge thru the roof compared to every other inspector. I love it when the wisdom pops out of so many inspectors where their market will bare higher prices and it gives them the learned wisdom to state to all the rest that "you must find out what it costs to do business and then put your profit on there and Blah blah blah" It just don't work that way.

    The reality is you say it takes up to 7 hours to do a three thousand sq ft home. In hour area the newer homes of that size takes about 4 hours to get it all done.

    Ron lives in Lah Lah land in California where people were fools enough to pay 800,000 for a 150,000 dollar 1200 sq ft home. He can get 600 for a home inspection and termite inspection from the fools.

    The real world is that in our area we are surrounded by fairly long lived inspectors that are charging 200 for a home inspection up to 2500 to 3000 squ ft and some are throwing the termite in with it.

    Yes we have to know are market and charge accordingly. Our market is a lot of long lived and short lived inspectors charging very low prices. The clients pull a list from the internet or from their realtor and when you are at 300 and the other 2 are at 200. Well, guess what, you just lost the inspection.

    I just got an inspection for tomorrow where the inspector that she used before on a home she chose not to get is out of town this week. His price for the last home for her was 200 and then 55 for the termite. I am just under mid three's for the 2. I know the guy. He has been around a few years longer than when I moved here 5 years ago. He also has brinks or someone come and "inspect the alarm system" He also has one of those crap warranties that are completely useless. He also measures the foundation as in "a foundation analysis" There might even be an IR scan thrown in. We are flooded with inspectors for our hame sale market.

    The give away man.

    I lose inspections all the time to him and others because I refuse to give away all the other services.

    We folks are not missing anything to talk to prospective clients about instead of just price. We know what we are doing.


  28. #93
    Terry Neyedli's Avatar
    Terry Neyedli Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    [QUOTE=Reggie Russell;82849]Hey Guys, etc.

    To quote Ted Rodgers
    Lead
    Follow or
    Get out of my way.
    Forget the last two an lead right from the outset.
    All the forgoing info helps great deal.
    Just do it!
    You will reap the rewards.

    T.Neyedli CHI
    BPCPA #47827
    www.alphahomeinspections.ca


  29. #94
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    [quote=Terry Neyedli;98917]
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Russell View Post
    Hey Guys, etc.

    To quote Ted Rodgers
    Lead
    Follow or
    Get out of my way.
    Forget the last two an lead right from the outset.
    All the forgoing info helps great deal.
    Just do it!
    You will reap the rewards.

    T.Neyedli CHI
    BPCPA #47827
    Alpha Home Inspections - Port Alberni, BC
    TN: Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone.


  30. #95
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Posts
    1,072

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    ROFL A.D you keep me laughing

    Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

  31. #96

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Reggie,
    The folks that call me with the first question being "how much do you charge for a home inspection" are usually the ones going through the phone book looking for the cheapest. I always reply with if you are looking for the least expensive, I will not be it. I do that to set the tone, tells the customer I am not a discount home inspector and then I go into why I am not the least expensive. I love it when a customer says that so and so offers a coupon, do you offer a coupon. I just laugh quote them a higher fee then say I will reduce the price. You can hear the lights come on in there head.

    I go on to tell them what I cover starting with here are the things I do for you, I start on the roof, blah blah, then I inspect the siding for you, blah blah. I take a truck load of photo's and videos and burn them on a disc FOR YOU so that later you can put the disc in and literally follow me through the inspection. Then toward the end I tell them to budget a good 45 minutes (yes, I print the summary and save report to disc, with photos onsite) to go over the report, photographs/videos then walk the property. Then I tell them that I shake their hand and thank them for shopping with me.

    I get the info on the property then quote the price. I tell them about me and what I do for them before I go into price or they will get off the phone rapidly. Price shoppers are the ones that become a pain later and question everything that is petty and minor and expect you to find every little defect in the home and mark it on the report even after you agree to reduce the price. Most folks know that a home inspection is going to cost and are interested in how much time you are going to spend looking at their home and how thorough you are going to be so that they are informed and that all the major things are inspected.

    E mail your inspection agreement before the inspection with return receipt.

    Michael Carson
    Inspect It Right Home Inspections L.L.C.
    www.inspectitrighthomeinspection.com

  32. #97
    Clifford Mark's Avatar
    Clifford Mark Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    It's hard to get a handle on. Sometimes I do everything by the "book" and don't get the inspection and sometimes I do everything wrong and still get it. I think it's important to publish your pricing on your web site, stick with them and then live with the consequences.

    Always act professional and let them feel your worth and your friendliness irrespective of whether you get the inspection or not. If you try to "sell yourself" do it in a conversational style rather than a "desparate or competitive" manner.

    Just give them the facts and most folks will appreciate the chance to work with a professional who doesn't waver over price.

    Maybe it will work for you, too.


  33. #98
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,446

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    If all the potential clients had the same mindset, it would be very easy. Follow the script, book the inspection.

    IN the last two weeks I had the following:
    1. Someone called and scheduled the job, and never asked the price.
    2. Someone called and was referred by a co-worker, and their Realtor. Gave the price and got, "Thanks" and hung up.
    3. Spend 15 minutes answering questions, they hung up, and I was like 'WTF????". Then they called back in 5 minutes and scheduled.
    4. Spent the same amount of time, and they said "Well, I'm just calling around for the lowest price". I hung up on them.
    5. Had a call and I wasn't in the mood and didn't handle the call very well. Thought I blew it. They called back and scheduled.
    6. Had a previous client call and wanted me to give him a 50% discount "because I didn't buy that house". I said, "So I saved your ass, and a pile of money, and you want me to do another one for you for half price????" I told him he obviously didn't value the job I did for him, and he might want to find someone else.

    There is just no figuring out some people.


  34. #99
    Ron Bibler's Avatar
    Ron Bibler Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    [QUOTE=Jack Feldmann;103362]If all the potential clients had the same mindset, it would be very easy. Follow the script, book the inspection.

    IN the last two weeks I had the following:
    1. Someone called and scheduled the job, and never asked the price.

    These are good clients...

    2. Someone called and was referred by a co-worker, and their Realtor. Gave the price and got, "Thanks" and hung up.
    3. Spend 15 minutes answering questions, they hung up, and I was like 'WTF????". Then they called back in 5 minutes and scheduled.


    At least they called back...

    4. Spent the same amount of time, and they said "Well, I'm just calling around for the lowest price". I hung up on them.

    Bad clients. or another HI In your area see what you are up to

    There is just no figuring out some people.[/QUOTE]

    Go after # 1 callers... Find out all you can about the client and how you get that call.

    Best

    Ron


  35. #100
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Posts
    1,072

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Jack you summed it up pretty well and is typical for me also. To ad one I book an Inspection week in advance or so and they call back the eve before the Inspection canceling and apologizing for not calling sooner.

    Had the weirdest the other day on my answer machine. Woman was looking for the company that inspected her home in 06, she did not know the name of the company or person. She was having problems with her home and was calling all inspection companies.

    Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

  36. #101
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    1,984

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Jack (and others) RE #6.
    Often times when I do an HI and they don't buy the house, for whatever reason, the client calls again, later for another HI. Oddly, maybe because they are better educated now, they are interested in multiple houses, usually 2-3. Since I have done a full HI for them, I offer them my WTA option, walk-through assessment.
    - The price is half or less of of a regular HI
    - They have to schedule min 2 houses back to back on the same day
    - I bring nothing but my flashlight, maybe a pad if I feel like it
    - a 1-2 page summary is emailed afterwards
    - the cost of the WTA is credited towards a full HI on one building if the full HI is done within 30 days.
    - I don't do a WTA unless I have previously done a full HI for that client.
    The idea for the service came from experience. After the 1st "perfect dream house" was a bust, clients tend to look at the next houses a little more objectively (not always). The client has 2,3,4 houses that they really like now. I do a WTA with them to see if there are any major red flags and discuss costs of things they may need to do. Essentially it gives clients info about the properties and allows them to make a better decision. The houses are usually similar in cost so the two important questions the client needs answered concern red flags and initial ownership costs after purchase.
    I don't do these a lot but clients are really grateful for the option when it comes up. I do have a separate contract for these.
    Hope that helps.

    www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

  37. #102
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Aaron,

    You should see some of the emails my son (the realtor, I know I brought him up wrong) gets from these new HI's. On average he gets more than 10 of these a week.

    He forwards them to me to see. Some are inspecting any home any size for 150. (for a limited time of course it says)

    Rick
    I wouldnt even put my boots on for $150.


  38. #103
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    I wouldnt even put my boots on for $150.
    Why not?

    Moday I will do six residential draws on homes that are about five to ten miles away from my home, each one will pay $65.

    Should take about a two hours to knock them out and another hour or so to input the data.

    Not a bad day considering I have nothing else to do but watch the grass grow.

    Those little jobs add up, you just have to work smart.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  39. #104
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    49

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    I like Markus' approch, gets you out there building good will (?).
    I would schedule these WTA on a slow day. I think it's helping people.

    Joseph, Palm Bch County, Fl.
    HomeSafeSouthFlorida.com

  40. #105
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,797

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    For a while I attempted to do "major systems inspections" on foreclosed properties, but found that by the time I had done the roof, attic, basement and major systems, and written a report that I felt had covered my liability, I was at least 2/3 into the the time required for a full inspection.

    Plus, I always felt that my E&O coverage was iffy if my contract strayed too far from the IL SOP - even though the SOP allows narrowing the scope by written mutual agreement.

    IMO a better strategy is to contract for a full inspection, and then terminate by mutual written agreement for a reduced price if the client decides to bail based on what has been found so far.

    This however still does not provide what a lot of clients want, which is a "Walk and Talk", however W&T inspections are one of the practices the IL law was intended to end.

    Last edited by Michael Thomas; 10-02-2009 at 09:40 AM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

  41. #106
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    We can do inspections on say an HVAC system and water heater but we still have to follow the standards and use the report format for TX. I will say that once you have gone much past a couple systems you might as well do a complete inspection. They are always going to get you with "what do you think about this or what do you think about that" while you are there.

    There is no such thing in TX as a Walk and talk. Everything you find has to go into a report in the format required by TX. A client does have the right to stop the inspection where ever they want and then of course it has to be in the report that you ended the inspection at the request of the client.

    Again. You scheduled the inspection. A half day of your time is gone because of scheduling. They are still paying for the price of the full inspection in that case.


  42. #107
    David A. Keating's Avatar
    David A. Keating Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by Clifford Mark View Post
    It's hard to get a handle on. Sometimes I do everything by the "book" and don't get the inspection and sometimes I do everything wrong and still get it. I think it's important to publish your pricing on your web site, stick with them and then live with the consequences.

    Always act professional and let them feel your worth and your friendliness irrespective of whether you get the inspection or not. If you try to "sell yourself" do it in a conversational style rather than a "desparate or competitive" manner.

    Just give them the facts and most folks will appreciate the chance to work with a professional who doesn't waver over price.

    Maybe it will work for you, too.
    I used to post my pricing......No more!
    When you post your pricing, you dont even get a chance to sell yourself, they look at your price, call the next guy and get a lesser quote (because your competition knows all he has to do is beat you $25 bucks) the the caller doesnt even remember seeing your website.
    MAKE THEM CALL YOU!
    My calls increased two or three fold when I stopped showing my prices. I can tell the price shoppers from the ones who want an inspection based on my qualification, not my price and the ones who are not as interested in the cost are smarter and better clients to deal with.
    Let your competition have the shoppers!


  43. #108
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: Home Inspection Price Shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Why not?

    Moday I will do six residential draws on homes that are about five to ten miles away from my home, each one will pay $65.

    Should take about a two hours to knock them out and another hour or so to input the data.

    Not a bad day considering I have nothing else to do but watch the grass grow.

    Those little jobs add up, you just have to work smart.
    What are those?? Besides, i was talking about going out for only "one" inspection, not 6 little ones.

    Last edited by Marc M; 10-03-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •