Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    dan carroll's Avatar
    dan carroll Guest

    Default Need help with wall to roof leak

    We have a roof leak coming from this area of the house. It seems to be coming from this wall to roof intersection and happens during wind and rain. The roof was reshingled 5 years ago. Can anyone tell by the photos of what might be causing the leak? Thanks Dan

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    NHIE Practice Exam

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,248

    Default Re: Need help with wall to roof leak

    Block or masonry? The cracks could be either, and each could have a different cause.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  3. #3
    Kevin Yandel's Avatar
    Kevin Yandel Guest

    Default Re: Need help with wall to roof leak

    A pic of the above roof line would also help.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Re: Need help with wall to roof leak

    I would begin looking at the window above the roof flashing and that big crack at the bottom that has been half-azz patched. It might not be a roof leak at all but a wall leak. If it was mine, I would start with a water hose from the bottom up to reproduce the leak. My bet from the pictures is that the roof does not leak and the wall does. More long range establishing shots and other details as others have noted would be helpful.

    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

  5. #5
    Kevin Yandel's Avatar
    Kevin Yandel Guest

    Default Re: Need help with wall to roof leak

    I agree with the hose test, start low. This seems to be happening most with wind and rain, check the window sill for openings and loose motar.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lake Barrington, IL
    Posts
    1,363

    Default Re: Need help with wall to roof leak

    It can be quite surprising what a little wind can do with water. The cracks in the wall cladding would be suspect. If it was my house I'd pull out the flashing at the roof/wall junction and see what's going on and go from there. I'd then work up the wall until I found no further sign of water staining. Yes this is an aggressive approach but then how many times do you want to make a repair in this area?

    Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: Need help with wall to roof leak

    My SWAG is the flashing and what looks like stucato board (stucco board)basically hardboard with a plaster finish on it.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  8. #8
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Need help with wall to roof leak

    I hate to add this but in this case it is time for an infrared camera scan of the wall and roof outside and then the inside of the home...after a good rain or a serious hose wash down.

    For that matter a good moisture meter following the trail of moisture.

    Gees, did I just say get someone in your area that has an infrared camera to scan the home. What is this world coming to. Anyways, this is one of the best applications for the camera.


  9. #9
    dan carroll's Avatar
    dan carroll Guest

    Default Re: Need help with wall to roof leak

    Thanks for all the input. Is it possible the wind/rain combination could make its way under the flashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by dan carroll View Post
    We have a roof leak coming from this area of the house. It seems to be coming from this wall to roof intersection and happens during wind and rain. The roof was reshingled 5 years ago. Can anyone tell by the photos of what might be causing the leak? Thanks Dan


    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,248

    Default Re: Need help with wall to roof leak

    Quote Originally Posted by dan carroll View Post
    Is it possible the wind/rain combination could make its way under the flashing.
    Especially in that 7th photo with the roof installed upside down (shingled from the bottom up) and the plumbing vent through the roof coming out horizontally ...

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  11. #11
    dan carroll's Avatar
    dan carroll Guest

    Default Re: Need help with wall to roof leak

    Soory Jerry the photo was downloaded wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Especially in that 7th photo with the roof installed upside down (shingled from the bottom up) and the plumbing vent through the roof coming out horizontally ...


    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

  12. #12
    Ron Bibler's Avatar
    Ron Bibler Guest

    Default Re: Need help with wall to roof leak

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I hate to add this but in this case it is time for an infrared camera scan of the wall and roof outside and then the inside of the home...after a good rain or a serious hose wash down.

    For that matter a good moisture meter following the trail of moisture.

    Gees, did I just say get someone in your area that has an infrared camera to scan the home. What is this world coming to. Anyways, this is one of the best applications for the camera.
    At this point Ted an IR Camera is not going to help.

    That upper wall is leaking and no amount of flashing is going to fix that.

    He need to remove everything from the roof up off that wall then correct any damage and start all over with new moisture controls for that wall.

    Best

    Ron


  13. #13
    dan carroll's Avatar
    dan carroll Guest

    Default Re: Need help with wall to roof leak

    So are you saying that the integrity of the flashing has been compromised by the leak? Do you think that the upper wall above the flashing is the source of leak or the flashing is the leak source and it needs to be torn out and redone to stop the leak? Thanks Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    At this point Ted an IR Camera is not going to help.

    That upper wall is leaking and no amount of flashing is going to fix that.

    He need to remove everything from the roof up off that wall then correct any damage and start all over with new moisture controls for that wall.

    Best

    Ron



  14. #14
    C.Johnson's Avatar
    C.Johnson Guest

    Default Re: Need help with wall to roof leak

    My guess is that this is a picture of the first floor where the leak is visible, correct? Is this the doorway that leads out to the room under the roof in question? What is directly above this area on the second floor?
    The biggest suspect for me is the flashing, especially around the window, you can see where the window trim was compromised/ removed at the corner allowing for the flashing, no doubt leaving a void. I can see a heavy rain wicking its way around the trim down that void into the structure causing the water damage that is visible inside. I would highly recommend you find a qualified professional to make repairs to the area quickly, as others have stated it may be to late for just a repair and replacement may be in order.
    If there is no visible water damage to the inside drywall/plaster on the second floor then that tells me it is traveling down the outside wall until it hits the floor joist of the second floor where it then builds up and collects until it saturates the first floor ceiling enough to show the evidence of the leak. This tells me that there is a lot of water coming in and may be why you only see it on larger rain storms.
    Of course this is only an opinion from what i see in your pics and nothing can compare to an actual evaluation at the property, I think it is time you call in a professional. Let us know the answer when you find out and Good luck!


  15. #15
    dan carroll's Avatar
    dan carroll Guest

    Default Re: Need help with wall to roof leak

    Thanks Mr. Johnson for the advice. THe fustrating part of all this is that I have had two contractors out to see this issue and niether has given me a satisfactory fix. One of the contractors, who was the installer of the shingles, just last week installed the aluminum strip behind the flashing. ]


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,446

    Default Re: Need help with wall to roof leak

    What part of Tennessee are you in?


  17. #17
    dan carroll's Avatar
    dan carroll Guest

    Default Re: Need help with wall to roof leak

    Chattanooga
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    What part of Tennessee are you in?



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,446

    Default Re: Need help with wall to roof leak

    sent you a PM


  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: Need help with wall to roof leak

    Quote Originally Posted by dan carroll View Post
    Thanks for all the input. Is it possible the wind/rain combination could make its way under the flashing.
    How am I supposed to hold my head for the 4th photo, and what is it of? If I tip my head to the right it kinda looks like cracks in stucco side wall with gobs of sealant that have cracked!

    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

  20. #20
    dan carroll's Avatar
    dan carroll Guest

    Default Re: Need help with wall to roof leak

    rotate the picture 90 degress ccw
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    How am I supposed to hold my head for the 4th photo, and what is it of? If I tip my head to the right it kinda looks like cracks in stucco side wall with gobs of sealant that have cracked!



  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: Need help with wall to roof leak

    Quote Originally Posted by dan carroll View Post
    rotate the picture 90 degress ccw
    It's not leaking at the cracks?

    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

  22. #22
    dan carroll's Avatar
    dan carroll Guest

    Default Re: Need help with wall to roof leak

    It could be . The leak spans across the whole interior wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    It's not leaking at the cracks?



  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: Need help with wall to roof leak

    Quote Originally Posted by dan carroll View Post
    It could be . The leak spans across the whole interior wall
    I've always been a great believer in "kiss". Fix what you know is wrong, and many of the unexplained go away.

    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •