Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Chris Westphal's Avatar
    Chris Westphal Guest

    Default Home Inspection (Foreclosure)

    Hi all, new to the board. Did some internet searching and came across this site. Learned so much in a just a short while. I am purchasing (planning on it at least) a foreclosed property in Northern,VA (Centreville,VA) and am trying to find a compentent home inspector to perform a thorough walk through and inspection of the property. The property has been winterized and from the posts I've read here has me very concerned (potential leaks, structural damage, etc...)

    So if anyone has suggestions or advice or knows of a good home inspector in the Northern VA area it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Chris

    Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Charlotte NC Licensed in NC and SC
    Posts
    597

    Default Re: Home Inspection (Foreclosure)

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Westphal View Post
    Hi all, new to the board. Did some internet searching and came across this site. Learned so much in a just a short while. I am purchasing (planning on it at least) a foreclosed property in Northern,VA (Centreville,VA) and am trying to find a compentent home inspector to perform a thorough walk through and inspection of the property. The property has been winterized and from the posts I've read here has me very concerned (potential leaks, structural damage, etc...)

    So if anyone has suggestions or advice or knows of a good home inspector in the Northern VA area it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Chris
    You should look for an independent inspector here Independent Home Inspectors of North America

    If not one for your area, look here Find a Certified Inspectors with InspectorNow.com

    Try to find one with E&O insurance, at least 5 years experience and an infrared camera.

    Bruce King, B.A. King Home Inspections, LLC
    www.BAKingHomeInspections.com
    Certified Master Inspector, Independent Inspectorwww.IndependentInspectors.org

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    885

    Default Re: Home Inspection (Foreclosure)

    Chris - I sent you via PM the names of 3 ASHI and Virginia Certified home inspectors NOVA, I know all 3 of them.

    FYI -The utilities will have to be turned on at least temporarily. I expect the house will be winterized so should be de-winterized before the inspection. The original winterization contractor may have to come back to do that. I have found water systems disabled so Real Estate agents and home inspectors can't turn on the water and then leave the house in cold weather without re-winterizing.

    The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: Home Inspection (Foreclosure)

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    Chris - I sent you via PM the names of 3 ASHI and Virginia Certified home inspectors NOVA, I know all 3 of them.

    FYI -The utilities will have to be turned on at least temporarily. I expect the house will be winterized so should be de-winterized before the inspection. The original winterization contractor may have to come back to do that. I have found water systems disabled so Real Estate agents and home inspectors can't turn on the water and then leave the house in cold weather without re-winterizing.
    Chris, I would go with the folks that Stuart told you about in his private message. I do not know the names he sent you, but I know that if they have gone through the process to obtain those certifications that they will be in the top percentile of inspectors in the area.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI
    Posts
    4,086

    Default Re: Home Inspection (Foreclosure)

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Westphal View Post
    Hi all, new to the board. Did some internet searching and came across this site. Learned so much in a just a short while. I am purchasing (planning on it at least) a foreclosed property in Northern,VA (Centreville,VA) and am trying to find a compentent home inspector to perform a thorough walk through and inspection of the property. The property has been winterized and from the posts I've read here has me very concerned (potential leaks, structural damage, etc...)

    So if anyone has suggestions or advice or knows of a good home inspector in the Northern VA area it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Chris
    Chris Westphal,

    Although at sometime in the future your topic discussion may be moved to the Home Owners, Home Buyers, and DIY area of the forum, I note initially, and at the present time, your question was posted in the "VA, FHA, HUD, Disaster and Insurance Inspections of the forum.

    I'm going to take a leap and assume this is because you are considering either a financing program underwritten by one of these entities, or that the property may be one that qualifies for federal flood insurance program.

    I mention this because, I think it is important to note that an "inspection" for one of the lending programs such as VA or FHA, is not a "regular" home inspection, it is one done to determine if the property meets the minimum requirements for the underwriting criteria - said inspection/appraisal is done on behalf of the loan originator and is not the same as a buyer's "home inspection".

    The VA/FHA "inspection" and a "home inspection" on behalf of a purchaser are indeed two distinctly different things. I do not comment as to whether the same party can perform both for the same property transaction, only to point out that for a home purchase - one should be well informed and note that the more complete "home inspection" on behalf of the BUYER, IS recommended even by those underwriting programs, but is at your option - where as the other is required by the underwriter for the program.

    These are separate expenditures for separate and distinctly different "functions" and reports, with different limitations, reporting standards, areas of examination, and completely different goals.

    The FHA/HUD/VA "inspection" is to determine if the property has the minimum features to be eliglble to be underwritten; the true "Home Inspection" is to report on to the propsective purchaser (not the underwriter or loan originator, as to the condition of the property as it is inspected - to the buyer.

    HTH.

    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 01-29-2011 at 10:27 AM.

  6. #6
    Chris Westphal's Avatar
    Chris Westphal Guest

    Default Re: Home Inspection (Foreclosure)

    Thanks for the responses guys, I've learned so much already. The property is a foreclosure and i am going with FHA financing and as H.G. mentioned I think, at the moment, I am only lined up for a FHA inspection. I certainly want the complete home inspection.

    My real estate agent has a home inspector line up already, should I go with this guy provided he has certifications and experience? I am more inclined to go with your alls recommendation based on the objectivity.

    What's a reasonable home inspection fee going to run? Should I line up a licensed HVAC and/or plumber in conjunction with the home inspection?


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    885

    Default Re: Home Inspection (Foreclosure)

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Westphal View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys, I've learned so much already. The property is a foreclosure and i am going with FHA financing and as H.G. mentioned I think, at the moment, I am only lined up for a FHA inspection. I certainly want the complete home inspection.

    My real estate agent has a home inspector line up already, should I go with this guy provided he has certifications and experience? I am more inclined to go with your alls recommendation based on the objectivity.

    What's a reasonable home inspection fee going to run? Should I line up a licensed HVAC and/or plumber in conjunction with the home inspection?
    Agent's Inspector: Depends - Although, many of my clients come to me because they wouldn't touch an agent's referral. Beware terms like, "my guy". You want an inspector that 1) knows what they are doing 2) Does his job with you as his primary concern not the agent.

    Cost: In NOVA some base their fees on the selling or listing price of the home, others on square footage. There is one guy up there who flat rates any size single family dwelling. I would expect $350-$500 in NOVA. Now, before you go, "OMG". If you don't know what you are getting, it would be very, very easy for you to end up on the hook for thousands of dollars worth of repairs soon after you move into the house. I've never had a client make any kind of statement like, "That was a waste of money" but I frequently do hear, "That's the best XXX dollars I ever spent on anything".

    A lot of my work has been foreclosures and short sales. Some can be really sweet deals others can be a money pit just waiting to happen. You might consider a home warranty. I don't have any personal experience with them but it seems a lot of my clients are buying the policies.

    The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •