Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    David Crawford's Avatar
    David Crawford Guest

    Default My new dryer vent run

    Hello all, I recently had to modify my dryer vent. My wife wanted me to switch the position of the washer and dryer(better loading/unloading).
    I don't have before pics, but it was your typical unsafe flexible vinyl hose run with lint clogging droops. I tried to adhere to IRC 1502.4. I used Shuretape to hold the joints, not screws. I connected the vent tubes with strips of cut vent tubing, screwed to wood blocks. One thing I could not immediately address is the reduction of tubing at the exit point. I may reroute it out the glass-block window. That webbing is the type used for supporting duct runs. And I am also planning to change the dryer plug location. Please feel free to critique, my work.



    Similar Threads:
    NHIE Practice Exam

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Garland, TX
    Posts
    622

    Default Re: My new dryer vent run

    how did you get away without painting it to match the walls? ;-))

    badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042 TREC # 4563
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    237

    Default Re: My new dryer vent run

    Quote Originally Posted by David Crawford View Post
    One thing I could not immediately address is the reduction of tubing at the exit point. I may reroute it out the glass-block window.
    I would change that part immediately to a 4 inch exhaust vent.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    745

    Default Re: My new dryer vent run

    What is the total length of run for the duct work? Is it over 25 feet? If so you need to verify your dryer is manufactured to work on lengths more than 25 feet.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    3,177

    Default Re: My new dryer vent run

    Well, it's about 900 times better than what I usually see...

    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tolland, CT
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: My new dryer vent run

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Carlisle View Post
    What is the total length of run for the duct work? Is it over 25 feet? If so you need to verify your dryer is manufactured to work on lengths more than 25 feet.
    when I moved mine I looked up the code in CT it was 30 feet in a straight line and you had to deduct 5 feet for every 90 degree turn.

    Mike


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area
    Posts
    3,473

    Default Re: My new dryer vent run

    Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Well, it's about 900 times better than what I usually see...

    What John said. That type of install around here is Oscar worthy.

    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

  8. #8
    David Crawford's Avatar
    David Crawford Guest

    Default Re: My new dryer vent run

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Carlisle View Post
    What is the total length of run for the duct work? Is it over 25 feet? If so you need to verify your dryer is manufactured to work on lengths more than 25 feet.
    It is about 8ft total, 4ft up and 4ft across. 3 total turns.


  9. #9
    David Crawford's Avatar
    David Crawford Guest

    Default Re: My new dryer vent run

    Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Well, it's about 900 times better than what I usually see...
    Thank you.


  10. #10
    David Crawford's Avatar
    David Crawford Guest

    Default Re: My new dryer vent run

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    What John said. That type of install around here is Oscar worthy.
    Thank you. I'll spare you the acceptance speech.


  11. #11
    David Crawford's Avatar
    David Crawford Guest

    Default Re: My new dryer vent run

    Quote Originally Posted by neal lewis View Post
    I would change that part immediately to a 4 inch exhaust vent.
    Enlarging the hole in the wall could be a problem. I thought going through the glass block would be easier and a more direct path.


  12. #12
    David Crawford's Avatar
    David Crawford Guest

    Default Re: My new dryer vent run

    Quote Originally Posted by BARRY ADAIR View Post
    how did you get away without painting it to match the walls? ;-))
    My wife is very patient and not so demanding. Lucky me.


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: My new dryer vent run

    Quote Originally Posted by David Crawford View Post
    It is about 8ft total, 4ft up and 4ft across. 3 total turns.
    That would have an effective length of 23 feet.

    8 feet of straight duct
    15 feet for the turns (5 feet for each 90, there are 3 turns)
    23 feet total effective length

    I recommend replacing the duct straps with 1-1/2" wide sheet metal straps. I would not count on those other straps from holding for long or from lasting very long.

    As the others have said - open up the discharge end ASAP.

    Oh, it does LOOK very nice.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  14. #14
    David Crawford's Avatar
    David Crawford Guest

    Default Re: My new dryer vent run

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    That would have an effective length of 23 feet.

    8 feet of straight duct
    15 feet for the turns (5 feet for each 90, there are 3 turns)
    23 feet total effective length

    I recommend replacing the duct straps with 1-1/2" wide sheet metal straps. I would not count on those other straps from holding for long or from lasting very long.

    As the others have said - open up the discharge end ASAP.

    Oh, it does LOOK very nice.
    Thank you for the advice.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,549

    Default Re: My new dryer vent run

    You could replace that elbow with a lint trap, to compensate for the length factor.
    You could run the horizontal section behind the machines, then straight up to the exit point.
    You could have spent another month or two getting it done, instead of raising the expectations to such unprecedented heights.
    Sorry, but you asked for critique.
    It's good. So what's next?

    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

  16. #16
    David Crawford's Avatar
    David Crawford Guest

    Default Re: My new dryer vent run

    Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    You could replace that elbow with a lint trap, to compensate for the length factor.
    You could run the horizontal section behind the machines, then straight up to the exit point.
    You could have spent another month or two getting it done, instead of raising the expectations to such unprecedented heights.
    Sorry, but you asked for critique.
    It's good. So what's next?

    I thought a lint trap would create more resistance to air flow?

    Next..... reroute my electrical lines that currently run through my HVAC return ducts. I'll create another thread for that.


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: My new dryer vent run

    Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    You could replace that elbow with a lint trap, to compensate for the length factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Crawford View Post
    I thought a lint trap would create more resistance to air flow?
    Nothing in the code allows the use of a lint trap. That is like those corrugated flexible tail pieces which are made for homeowners to install in the drain lines where the homeowner does not know how to make the configuration work - those corrugated tailpieces may be manufactured, may be stocked, may be sold, may be bought, but ... those pieces 'may not be' installed (i.e., 'not allowed to be' installed) ...

    MANY things are made to solve many problems in construction, those things are not allowed by code, the real solution, then, is to correct the problems correctly, not install some product used to compensate for improper work.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,549

    Default Re: My new dryer vent run

    Interesting. Thanks, Jerry.

    David, how about a straight diagonal run from the dryer to the outlet? Sorry, we're messing with you now.

    Last edited by John Kogel; 03-07-2011 at 08:48 AM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

  19. #19
    David Crawford's Avatar
    David Crawford Guest

    Default Re: My new dryer vent run

    Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Interesting. Thanks, Jerry.

    David, how about a straight diagonal run from the dryer to the outlet? Sorry, we're messing with you now.
    I guess that would be best. If only i could.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •