Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Lori Ernest's Avatar
    Lori Ernest Guest

    Exclamation Kitchen water pipes over electric panel

    My husband and I own a home in Illinois that we are a few weeks away from listing. While going through the basement we followed our water pipes and have found that the kitchen drain and hot/cold water pipes are directly above an electrical panel the previous owners installed (an older box is right next to it). What is the best action to follow? Call in electrian to move the box or move the pipes? It does look not like either option will be easy... Don't know where to begin...

    Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral SOC

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default Re: Kitchen water pipes over electric panel

    I'm not sure you have a problem.... did somebody tell you there is something wrong? Do you have a picture?

  3. #3
    Lori Ernest's Avatar
    Lori Ernest Guest

    Default Re: Kitchen water pipes over electric panel

    Hi Matt,

    Wwll, no one has said there is a problem. I just assume this is something that would not pass an inspection. I'm completely honest when I say I never noticed it before but both the kitchen sink drain pipe and hot/cold pipe lines are directly above the newer box (installed by the people we bought the house from). This was my husbands home first and he said his inspector did not address it so he is aguring with me that this won't be an issue. I will post a photo tonight.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Memphis TN.

    Default Re: Kitchen water pipes over electric panel


    There are several threads that address your question here is one

    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

  5. #5
    Michael Russell's Avatar
    Michael Russell Guest

    Default Re: Kitchen water pipes over electric panel

    Hello i am a Certified Electrician below are 2 solutions i have used in the past for similar problems like this and are more cost effective than re routing everything

    With out a picture its hard to comment on the right action to take and follow code to the letter but there are options you can have a drip proof or splash proof panel installed (no openings on the top and sides of the panel),
    then you can add a drip pan or splash pan for water pipes which hang under the pipes that will not let the water drop or splash onto the panel and would deviate any mishaps away from the panel, Before installing the splash guards make sure your municipal inspector ( if this is what your municipality requires) will accept this if so install and have them look at the install and have it written up
    another thing is you can't just make a splash guard they have to be approved by the appropriate authorities

  6. #6
    James Duffin's Avatar
    James Duffin Guest

    Default Re: Kitchen water pipes over electric panel

    Here is what the NC code says about pipes above the panel...

    (1) Indoor.
    Indoor installations shall comply with
    110.26(F)(1)(a) through (F)(1)(d).
    Dedicated Electrical Space. The space equal to the
    width and depth of the equipment and extending from the
    floor to a height of 1.8 m (6 ft) above the equipment or to
    the structural ceiling, whichever is lower, shall be dedicated
    to the electrical installation. No piping, ducts, leak protection
    apparatus, or other equipment foreign to the electrical
    installation shall be located in this zone.

    Exception: Suspended ceilings with removable panels shall
    be permitted within the 1.8-m (6-ft) zone.

    Foreign Systems. The area above the dedicated
    space required by 110.26(F)(1)(a) shall be permitted to contain
    foreign systems, provided protection is installed to
    avoid damage to the electrical equipment from condensation,

    leaks, or breaks in such foreign systems.

  7. #7
    Tom Thompson's Avatar
    Tom Thompson Guest

    Default Re: Kitchen water pipes over electric panel

    If clearance allows, enclose the pipes (box them in) with framing and drywall making their own dedicated space, then they will be in their own separate space.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts