Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    7

    Question Mold or something else?

    We have mold in some areas of the house that are in the remediation process.
    Some of the dark areas of the photos is probably shadow.
    I took photos and video inside the walls yesterday. It does not look good to me. But I have no idea if it is mold or not. Any expert opinions?
    Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id9y7xGk5Uo

    New photo of attic from ceiling below:
    IMG_0337.JPG



    New photo inside wall of laundry room:
    IMG_0303.JPG

    Insulation
    attic-3.JPG

    In ceiling this is attic floor I believe
    attic-1.JPG

    Inside wall on horizontal stud I believe
    office-1.JPG
    Inside wall on horizontal stud I believe
    office-3.JPG
    Inside wall in laundry room
    laundry-room.jpg
    Inside wall
    IMG_0271.JPG

    Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Scott C Simpson; 04-11-2017 at 09:52 PM. Reason: new photo
    Elite MGA Home Inspector E&O Insurance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,312

    Default Re: Mold or something else?

    I didn't watch the video, but the photos are all but useless.

    Did you ask the "remediator" about what you see?


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Mold or something else?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    I didn't watch the video, but the photos are all but useless.

    Did you ask the "remediator" about what you see?


    Yes. He is slow in responding. Also he was not interested in looking in the walls.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    2,375

    Default Re: Mold or something else?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott C Simpson View Post
    Yes. He is slow in responding. Also he was not interested in looking in the walls.
    "Not interested in looking in the walls"??? That doesn't sound good. If it were me, I would get a second opinion. If it's in the walls, it seems to me that it needs to be addressed.

    Department of Redundancy Department
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,667

    Default Re: Mold or something else?

    Looks like a Colonoscopy gone wrong.

    Why not just cut open the wall and see what you really have. Wack out a 4ft x 4ft area which makes for an easy patch job. Then you can tell what you are actually dealing with.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    25,819

    Default Re: Mold or something else?

    My first thought and question is - how are you looking into the walls?

    a) Down through a missing top plate?

    b) Through a hole cut in the wall?

    The first one, a), would not be a good thing as a missing top plate indicates no fireblocking was installed.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Mold or something else?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    My first thought and question is - how are you looking into the walls?

    a) Down through a missing top plate?

    b) Through a hole cut in the wall?

    The first one, a), would not be a good thing as a missing top plate indicates no fireblocking was installed.
    Through holes.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    rockport texas
    Posts
    129

    Default Re: Mold or something else?

    Several questions. First, what made you look into that wall? Is there an attic above that wall or is it the first floor? Is the mold inspector lic? Is anyone in the house having health issues?


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,667

    Default Re: Mold or something else?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott C Simpson View Post
    We have mold in some areas of the house that are in the remediation process.
    I think I have the answer that you are looking for but need a little background please.

    Parts in remediation process, for what and by whom ???? Who is paying for the work ???

    I take it that you do not own the property. Is that correct ???

    Do you rent, lease or are party purchase agreement ???

    Are you making this inquiry for someone else, if so who ???

    Are you or others staying the property during remediation ???


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Mold or something else?

    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    I think I have the answer that you are looking for but need a little background please.

    Parts in remediation process, for what and by whom ???? Who is paying for the work ???

    I take it that you do not own the property. Is that correct ???

    Do you rent, lease or are party purchase agreement ???

    Are you making this inquiry for someone else, if so who ???

    Are you or others staying the property during remediation ???
    We just had the mold inspection last week and bids are being performed for the 2 known areas of visible mold.
    We probably could stay during remediation of these areas due to their location in the house.a
    It is my girlfriend's house it possible insurance will pay for some of the work.
    My concern is that there is more mold than just the 2 known areas.
    The unknown areas of concern are walls, attic, crawlspace insulation.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by stanley frost View Post
    Several questions. First, what made you look into that wall? Is there an attic above that wall or is it the first floor? Is the mold inspector lic? Is anyone in the house having health issues?
    The laundry room wall was suspect because there was obvious recent drywall repair.
    The other wall is below the attic, and for other reasons there was a hole in the drywall so I looked in there.
    I have been having allergy symptoms for the past 2-3 months. The mold inspector is licensed he has begun to look at the pictures I took and considers the areas to be suspect.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,475

    Default Re: Mold or something else?

    Some of that is rock wool. Some is stain, which will affect who how?
    If there is mold, there is moisture. If there is no moisture, you have nothing to worry about.

    A guy with a $400 moisture meter can tell you what you got.

    Everybody is born with a moisture meter in their hand. []
    But a meter can measure it in %. Under 12% is normal for a house on the Left Coast.

    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Mold or something else?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott C Simpson View Post
    We just had the mold inspection last week and bids are being performed for the 2 known areas of visible mold.
    We probably could stay during remediation of these areas due to their location in the house.a
    It is my girlfriend's house it possible insurance will pay for some of the work.
    My concern is that there is more mold than just the 2 known areas.
    The unknown areas of concern are walls, attic, crawlspace insulation.

    - - - Updated - - -


    The laundry room wall was suspect because there was obvious recent drywall repair.
    The other wall is below the attic, and for other reasons there was a hole in the drywall so I looked in there.
    I have been having allergy symptoms for the past 2-3 months. The mold inspector is licensed he has begun to look at the pictures I took and considers the areas to be suspect.
    IMG_0337.JPG
    IMG_0309.JPG


  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Mold or something else?

    First thing you need to do is stop the moisture intrusion. Ground should slope 1/4" per foot away from the house, needs gutters with drainage piped to the street, adequate kitchen fan used when cooking, bathroom fans on automatic humidistat, dryer to outside, commercial basement dehumidifier, proper makeup air supply, roof repairs as needed, crawl space dirt covered with plastic and sealed, etc.

    Next, as suggested, just remove the drywall in suspect areas to see what you really have. Drywall is $10 per 4x8 sheet (plus installation, finishing and paint...)

    Buy some Honeywell HEPA air filter fans units in key rooms to remove airborne particles. Your allergies will disappear.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    180

    Default Re: Mold or something else?

    The first photo looks like soot, was there a fire? Other wise the photos are useliss!


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Mold or something else?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McKay View Post
    The first photo looks like soot, was there a fire? Other wise the photos are useliss!
    This area is close to the chimney so I think some of it is soot.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •