Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    David Ferguson's Avatar
    David Ferguson Guest

    Default Report Writing Software

    Hello, help! My name is David and I am a Professional Real Estate Inspector. I'm in the market for Report Writing Software. I would love some feedback as to what is good and what is not. Thanks

    Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

  2. #2
    Bob Spermo's Avatar
    Bob Spermo Guest

    Default Re: Report Writing Software

    David,

    Since you are licensed in Texas you must use the TREC 7A-0 form. That form is being changed and the new form will become effective on Feb 1, 2009. If you want a good Texas 7A-0 format try Whisper Computer Solutions, Inc. - Home of WhisperPI, Property Inspection Report Software. They have different variations from no boilerplate to extensive verbage. Hope this helps!


  3. #3
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Report Writing Software

    Not that I use it but Inspect it or something like that is also pretty popular I have known a lot of guys that use that in texas. I am going to change my old software out when they start producing the new forms


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rockwall Texas
    Posts
    4,519

    Default Re: Report Writing Software

    I've always used the Inspectit program and have been pleased with it. Some of the others I've tried for a bit, but I always come back to the Inspectit.

    rick


  5. #5
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Report Writing Software

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    I've always used the Inspectit program and have been pleased with it. Some of the others I've tried for a bit, but I always come back to the Inspectit.

    rick

    I have been looking at that Rick. You'll have to give me some learnen with it


  6. #6
    Joel Anderson's Avatar
    Joel Anderson Guest

    Default Re: Report Writing Software

    Whats up David! Good to see ya.

    I have the software from Champions, it's pretty much just a template that you fill in, but it comes with a free upgrade when the REI 7A-1 report form becomes active next year. Free upgrades sold me, plus it was cheep. Doesn't work on Vista though....

    Good to hear your inspection went well!


  7. #7
    Brian Thomas's Avatar
    Brian Thomas Guest

    Default Re: Report Writing Software

    I see some folks on here are fond of the Inspectit software. Maybe it works well for texas folk but I didnt care for it at all. I thought it was very clunky and didnt produce a clean looking report. But thats just me, maybe its better for the texas people.

    I use homeguage and I like it although its 2X as expensive as the inspectit


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Re: Report Writing Software

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I have been looking at that Rick. You'll have to give me some learnen with it
    Ted, if you are serious about the InspectIt, Brian Murphy puts on a training work shop over in Arlington that you also get CE credit for the day. I think the one I attended was 8 hours, you bring your own laptop and walk through the process of making a report, creating changes, etc. Check it out Real Estate Training Systems
    They have one scheduled Friday, but I don't know if they have any openings.
    Jim

    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rockwall Texas
    Posts
    4,519

    Default Re: Report Writing Software

    Thanks Jim for mentioning Brian. That guy has this program down doesn't he? He is great at helping one learn how to use it, and he's an inspector working in the field who knows about report writing.

    rick


  10. #10
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Report Writing Software

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Ted, if you are serious about the InspectIt, Brian Murphy puts on a training work shop over in Arlington that you also get CE credit for the day. I think the one I attended was 8 hours, you bring your own laptop and walk through the process of making a report, creating changes, etc. Check it out Real Estate Training Systems
    They have one scheduled Friday, but I don't know if they have any openings.
    Jim
    I know Brian. I took his 3 day Phase Inspection Course. His program right now is for folks already using the software and creating templates and so on. I have never used it before. I do believe I down loaded it some time in the past but never bought it. I am waiting for them to come out with new software so I do mot have to upgrade and such. I am sure it will be out soon.


  11. #11
    Ron Bibler's Avatar
    Ron Bibler Guest

    Default Re: Report Writing Software

    I just started working with InspectVue. I like the program. Im just getting off the ground as a HI.

    Any others working with this program?

    Rick I will check out your program. I have been working with MSWORD for so long it is odd to go work in a box program.

    Best

    Ron


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Re: Report Writing Software

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I know Brian. I took his 3 day Phase Inspection Course. His program right now is for folks already using the software and creating templates and so on. I have never used it before. I do believe I down loaded it some time in the past but never bought it. I am waiting for them to come out with new software so I do mot have to upgrade and such. I am sure it will be out soon.
    Ted, I am not sure what his current class is for, but the one I went to, they had a the promo program you could download which was the same as the sample on their website, and use it to learn with during the class. It is definitely a hands on class that is worth the time and expense if you are seriously thinking about using ANY MS Word based reporting software.

    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

  13. #13
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Report Writing Software

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Ted, I am not sure what his current class is for, but the one I went to, they had a the promo program you could download which was the same as the sample on their website, and use it to learn with during the class. It is definitely a hands on class that is worth the time and expense if you are seriously thinking about using ANY MS Word based reporting software.
    Thanks Jim, I will check on that. I am still using the software I got 4 years ago thru ITA. Pretty basic stuff but I grew to appreciate it with out all the fluff I would never use anyway.

    I type about everything anyway with the exception of the most basic entries.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Georgetown, KY
    Posts
    537

    Default Re: Report Writing Software

    try HomeGauge with the Texas template.

    You do the typing.

    HomeGauge does the programming.

    Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

  15. #15
    Ron Bibler's Avatar
    Ron Bibler Guest

    Default Re: Report Writing Software

    Quote Originally Posted by Erby Crofutt View Post
    try HomeGauge with the Texas template.

    You do the typing.

    HomeGauge does the programming.

    I think InspectVue and HomeGauge are one in the same.

    Best

    Ron


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Georgetown, KY
    Posts
    537

    Default Re: Report Writing Software

    I don't think so, Ron.

    I've tried both trial versions and like the HomeGauge and the support that comes with it way much better than Inspectvue.

    Did Inspectvue ever get out the update they'd been promising, and putting off, for years?

    Last edited by Erby Crofutt; 11-06-2008 at 05:38 AM.
    Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

  17. #17
    Ron Bibler's Avatar
    Ron Bibler Guest

    Default Re: Report Writing Software

    Quote Originally Posted by Erby Crofutt View Post
    I don't think so, Ron.

    I've tried both trial versions and like the HomeGauge and the support that comes with it way much better than Inspectvue.

    Did Inspectvue ever get out the update they'd been promising, and putting off, for years?
    I saw the other day that if you were working with InspectVue and wanted to move over to HomeGauge that HomeGauge will convert all you files from InspectVue into HomeGauge files along with you format. Thats why i was thinking that they have something together 2 companys one owner.


    I did very much like Inspector Pro.

    Best

    Ron


  18. #18
    Jeff Knight's Avatar
    Jeff Knight Guest

    Default Re: Report Writing Software

    Ron,
    InspectVue has actually been bought by an environmental company and is no longer in the home inspection market I believe.

    David,

    Please make sure to also check out our software which is compatible with the new TREC REI 7A-1 Texas form which will be mandatory on Feb. 1 2009. We have been working with the Texas form for over 10 years and have many inspectors in Texas that use our software.

    The main difference between us and the other inspection software is that you can use our software on a PC device OR a handheld PocketPC device which a lot of our clients love because of the price of the device and it is much easier to use in the field while you are doing your inspection.

    The other difference is that you are able to do the inspection room-by-room and collect the data that way in the software. When you are done doing the inspection the data is exported into a Word document that is the TREC form with the inspection data you gathered moved to the appropriate areas of the report. This makes it much easier to do your inspection since you do not need to jump around in the report while doing your inspection. You can do the inspection the way you want but still be able to create the mandated Texas report WITHOUT having to rekey the data....saving hours of time.

    Jeff Knight
    President
    715-381-1433


  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anacortes, Washington
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Report Writing Software

    I have been using 3D since 2002 and once I got through the learning curve really like it. Its database driven, very customizable and has a pocket pc and office manager modules. You can see what my reports look like here http://www.paccrestinspections.com/P...at/sample8.pdf

    The folks are 3D do regular updates and online support is OK.

    //Rick

    Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

  20. #20
    Ron Bibler's Avatar
    Ron Bibler Guest

    Default Re: Report Writing Software

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Knight View Post
    Ron,
    InspectVue has actually been bought by an environmental company and is no longer in the home inspection market I believe.

    David,

    Please make sure to also check out our software which is compatible with the new TREC REI 7A-1 Texas form which will be mandatory on Feb. 1 2009. We have been working with the Texas form for over 10 years and have many inspectors in Texas that use our software.

    The main difference between us and the other inspection software is that you can use our software on a PC device OR a handheld PocketPC device which a lot of our clients love because of the price of the device and it is much easier to use in the field while you are doing your inspection.

    The other difference is that you are able to do the inspection room-by-room and collect the data that way in the software. When you are done doing the inspection the data is exported into a Word document that is the TREC form with the inspection data you gathered moved to the appropriate areas of the report. This makes it much easier to do your inspection since you do not need to jump around in the report while doing your inspection. You can do the inspection the way you want but still be able to create the mandated Texas report WITHOUT having to rekey the data....saving hours of time.

    Jeff Knight
    President
    715-381-1433
    I just on the phone with them te other day. they new up grades for the program.

    They did have a new phone number. i was not an 1-800#

    Best

    Ron


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •