Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    105

    Default Palm-Tech users come in

    I am comparing several different software packages and want to hear from Palm users. I plan to use a tablet PC or a CTL NL2 10" "netbook" not a tiny hand-held.

    I have been using a Word-based program for four years and like some aspects of it but managing photos is a pain and it would be really tough to complete much of the report on-site.

    I take notes then input into the software at the office and I am trying to reduce the duplication in hopes of saving time.

    Current users who do most of the report on-site, what is your overall impression and how efficient is the system?

    Similar Threads:
    F.I.R.E. Services

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southwest US
    Posts
    585

    Default Re: Palm-Tech users come in

    Palm users? I didn't know there were any more of those!


  3. #3
    Mike Inspector's Avatar
    Mike Inspector Guest

    Default Re: Palm-Tech users come in

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Clark View Post
    I am comparing several different software packages and want to hear from Palm users. I plan to use a tablet PC or a CTL NL2 10" "netbook" not a tiny hand-held.

    I have been using a Word-based program for four years and like some aspects of it but managing photos is a pain and it would be really tough to complete much of the report on-site.

    I take notes then input into the software at the office and I am trying to reduce the duplication in hopes of saving time.

    Current users who do most of the report on-site, what is your overall impression and how efficient is the system?

    CTL NL2 10" "netbook" with 3D is the way to go!! Been using 3D 10 years and the CTL 18 months GREAT combo.

    Mike


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    105

    Default Re: Palm-Tech users come in

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Inspector View Post
    CTL NL2 10" "netbook" with 3D is the way to go!! Been using 3D 10 years and the CTL 18 months GREAT combo.

    Mike
    Thanks. Do you use this to write most of the report on-site? Did you ever just use written pages of notes and how much time to you think you save with the 3D and CTL?


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zeeland Michigan
    Posts
    143

    Smile Re: Palm-Tech users come in

    I use Palm Tech on a Dell Axim X51v and have been for years. The Dell is old but works.
    I'm using version 5 of the PalmTech program and version 6 is out but haven't switched.
    I do reports on site then email reports and photo's to client and realtor.
    No real complaints on the PalmTech or the handheld.

    If a man empties his purse into his head no one can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest
    Benjamin Franklin

  6. #6
    Mike Inspector's Avatar
    Mike Inspector Guest

    Default Re: Palm-Tech users come in

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Clark View Post
    Thanks. Do you use this to write most of the report on-site? Did you ever just use written pages of notes and how much time to you think you save with the 3D and CTL?

    I use it all the time except when I do multi-units (4 and above) or large commercial ( above 7000 sq ft). 100 percent done on site except for what was just mentioned. Saves me time on every inspection as I only proof read when I get to the office.

    Mike


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    930

    Default Re: Palm-Tech users come in

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Inspector View Post
    I use it all the time except when I do multi-units (4 and above) or large commercial ( above 7000 sq ft). 100 percent done on site except for what was just mentioned. Saves me time on every inspection as I only proof read when I get to the office.

    Mike
    Mike if it really saves time why are you not doing it on multi unit buildings ?
    I would think any major software has fast on the fly template change capabilities.


  8. #8
    Mike Inspector's Avatar
    Mike Inspector Guest

    Default Re: Palm-Tech users come in

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post
    Mike if it really saves time why are you not doing it on multi unit buildings ?
    I would think any major software has fast on the fly template change capabilities.
    I could, I just am used to doing larger properties on pad and paper then inputing later, personal preference. I truley do hate to take work home.

    Mike


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    930

    Default Re: Palm-Tech users come in

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Inspector View Post
    I could, I just am used to doing larger properties on pad and paper then inputing later, personal preference. I truley do hate to take work home.

    Mike
    Know the feeling.
    Just downloaded a record over 400 pictures to look at for a home.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    105

    Default Re: Palm-Tech users come in

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Vernon View Post
    I use Palm Tech on a Dell Axim X51v and have been for years. The Dell is old but works.
    I'm using version 5 of the PalmTech program and version 6 is out but haven't switched.
    I do reports on site then email reports and photo's to client and realtor.
    No real complaints on the PalmTech or the handheld.
    Rick, do you use a narrative or checklist style report?

    What did you use before Palm?


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Greenville, N.C.
    Posts
    254

    Default Re: Palm-Tech users come in

    I've used Palm Tech for years. I'm on my 3rd or 4th handheld mostly because I'm inordinately rough on them. I dropped the Axim and cracked the screen, Kicked the NEC down a gap in a frame wall just big enough to get it in.
    I've always found the people at Palm Tech to be very forthcoming and I highly recommend them. I do use version 6 and have customized the basic template to my satisfaction.

    I now use an IPAQ handheld in the field. Fits in my pocket or tool bag. Sync it up to the big box, collate the photos, and send it off. Not as fancy as Home Guage I guess, but it's comfortable and the clients approve. I'm not a fan of instant reporting anyway. I need time to ponder what I've seen, listen to my verbal notes, look at the pictures, then write the finished product.

    JLMathis


  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    358

    Default Re: Palm-Tech users come in

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Clark View Post
    I am comparing several different software packages and want to hear from Palm users. I plan to use a tablet PC or a CTL NL2 10" "netbook" not a tiny hand-held.

    I have been using a Word-based program for four years and like some aspects of it but managing photos is a pain and it would be really tough to complete much of the report on-site.

    I take notes then input into the software at the office and I am trying to reduce the duplication in hopes of saving time.

    Current users who do most of the report on-site, what is your overall impression and how efficient is the system?
    I have been using the same Palm Tech software for over 9 years - it's awesome - narrative and checklist format and comments easy to make property specific if you want something other than generic, vague boilerplate BS. Still using a MobilePro 900 but NEC no longer produces anything with instant "ON", a near full size keyboard with a touch screen that fits into your Carpenter Bags / Nail Apron. Reports on site if they like, then email another copy with the inspection photos later.


  13. #13
    Dave Burch1's Avatar
    Dave Burch1 Guest

    Default Re: Palm-Tech users come in

    Take a look at eInspections. I have been using it for a few years and it is very versitile. Lots of ability to customize and is great for using "canned statements".


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    105

    Default Re: Palm-Tech users come in

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Burch1 View Post
    Take a look at eInspections. I have been using it for a few years and it is very versitile. Lots of ability to customize and is great for using "canned statements".
    Can you put photos in the summary?

    Do you write reports on site?


  15. #15
    Dave Burch1's Avatar
    Dave Burch1 Guest

    Default Re: Palm-Tech users come in

    I can put photos in the summary, in the report body, or both. I can write the reports on site and have in many cases. It just depends on how involved the report is going to be. I usually do it offsite because then I can relax and not worry about the agent "hovering". I take lots of pictures. Most do not make it in the report but I have them for future reference if need be. eInspections has a free demo download and a website that shows you a lot of the capabilities. Hope this helps.


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    105

    Default Re: Palm-Tech users come in

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hintz View Post
    I have been using the same Palm Tech software for over 9 years - it's awesome - narrative and checklist format and comments easy to make property specific if you want something other than generic, vague boilerplate BS. Still using a MobilePro 900 but NEC no longer produces anything with instant "ON", a near full size keyboard with a touch screen that fits into your Carpenter Bags / Nail Apron. Reports on site if they like, then email another copy with the inspection photos later.
    I having been playing around with PT and have a question for those that have been using it. I write my comments by describing the defect then state the location. For example, "Repair. A receptacle was found to have reverse polarity. Location(s):"

    Problem with PT is that there is not another notes button next to the notes button describing the defect. I need another button with just locations. Otherwise, I would have to enter locations by typing/writing or I would need to have about a dozen or more comments like the one above but each specifying a different location. That would make it hard to find the comment you need when you also have comments related to other receptacle defects like missing cover, loose, etc.

    PT phone support said I could buy the add-in software that would allow me to do this but I wondered how others deal with this issue.

    Then if I had a second notes button, I would need a way to add a comma between locations if same problem showed up more than one time. I guess this could be done without too much trouble by bringing up the qwerty keyboard.


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    885

    Default Re: Palm-Tech users come in

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Clark View Post
    I having been playing around with PT and have a question for those that have been using it. I write my comments by describing the defect then state the location. For example, "Repair. A receptacle was found to have reverse polarity. Location(s):"

    Problem with PT is that there is not another notes button next to the notes button describing the defect. I need another button with just locations. Otherwise, I would have to enter locations by typing/writing or I would need to have about a dozen or more comments like the one above but each specifying a different location. That would make it hard to find the comment you need when you also have comments related to other receptacle defects like missing cover, loose, etc.

    PT phone support said I could buy the add-in software that would allow me to do this but I wondered how others deal with this issue.

    Then if I had a second notes button, I would need a way to add a comma between locations if same problem showed up more than one time. I guess this could be done without too much trouble by bringing up the qwerty keyboard.
    Try going through every line you want to add the location note. Click on Add-a-line, then "Standalone note". You even add a label like "Location" to the note. Edit the list adding locations. When you go through all aline you want to add the notes to, save the report as a template. I use Inspection Designer so I have never done this but it should work. Try a test on a couple of lines and save the inspection as a new template like "Newtest" then see what you get when you start a new inspection using that template.

    The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    358

    Default Re: Palm-Tech users come in

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Clark View Post
    I having been playing around with PT and have a question for those that have been using it. I write my comments by describing the defect then state the location. For example, "Repair. A receptacle was found to have reverse polarity. Location(s):"

    Problem with PT is that there is not another notes button next to the notes button describing the defect. I need another button with just locations. Otherwise, I would have to enter locations by typing/writing or I would need to have about a dozen or more comments like the one above but each specifying a different location. That would make it hard to find the comment you need when you also have comments related to other receptacle defects like missing cover, loose, etc.

    PT phone support said I could buy the add-in software that would allow me to do this but I wondered how others deal with this issue.

    Then if I had a second notes button, I would need a way to add a comma between locations if same problem showed up more than one time. I guess this could be done without too much trouble by bringing up the qwerty keyboard.
    My MobilePro by NEC has an actual 3/4 scale keyboard, not a touch screen keyboard. Locations of outlets is fairly simple - NW corner under window has a missing coverplate, SE corner outlet above baseboard has reverse polarity, SW corner outlet near door is damaged, etc....PT programmed comments are vague and generic. You can go thru and delete all their programmed comments and use your own, or, add yours to their templates. Make sure you use the edit button to add all comments you want to add to the template and then hit the save button after each change/addition so it is retained within the program and not just the one clients inspection report.


  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    105

    Default Re: Palm-Tech users come in

    Thanks guys!


    Try going through every line you want to add the location note. Click on Add-a-line, then "Standalone note". You even add a label like "Location" to the note. Edit the list adding locations.
    That could work but it adds the locations to a new line below the stated defect then numbers that line like it is a new defect. Like:

    1. Reversed polarity noted.
    2. Location: Master bathroom

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hintz View Post
    Locations of outlets is fairly simple - NW corner under window has a missing coverplate, SE corner outlet above baseboard has reverse polarity, SW corner outlet near door is damaged, etc....
    Do you have these comments stored in PT? Ie: "SE corner outlet above baseboard has reverse polarity"

    Or do you type them in as you go? I am trying to avoid typing as much as possible.


  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    358

    Default Re: Palm-Tech users come in

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Clark View Post
    Thanks guys!




    That could work but it adds the locations to a new line below the stated defect then numbers that line like it is a new defect. Like:

    1. Reversed polarity noted.
    2. Location: Master bathroom



    Do you have these comments stored in PT? Ie: "SE corner outlet above baseboard has reverse polarity"

    Or do you type them in as you go? I am trying to avoid typing as much as possible.
    Randall, if you are trying to type as little as possible yet providing a property specific report, maybe look into Naturally Speaking by Dragon and get away completely from any template - type software. With Naturally Speaking, you talk into a recorder then download and whatever you say is printed automatically. Most Clients and Realtors aren't interested in all the little checkmarks next to the components that have no issues anyway, they want to READ about all the defects you find - just a thought... Good Luck.


  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,365

    Default Re: Palm-Tech users come in

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Clark View Post
    I am comparing several different software packages and want to hear from Palm users. I plan to use a tablet PC or a CTL NL2 10" "netbook" not a tiny hand-held.

    I have been using a Word-based program for four years and like some aspects of it but managing photos is a pain and it would be really tough to complete much of the report on-site.

    I take notes then input into the software at the office and I am trying to reduce the duplication in hopes of saving time.

    Current users who do most of the report on-site, what is your overall impression and how efficient is the system?
    Not sure what problems you're having importing photos but if it's the size thing try a Canon camera. Their default setting to import into a MS Word doc is 3.56" wide (when taken in 640X480)... EVERY other brand camera puts them in a HUGE size and they must be re-sized and then they jump around and cause all kinds of problems.

    I used to be very frustrated until I figured this out.... now I just drop them in and go. Report writing with my Word template couldn't be easier.... it's got a few quirks but I can fill out the house "specs" in less than 10 mins, then putting in problems and pictures of course varies but my average is about 30 mins. An easy house takes 10 mins....a dump? well, you know how it is....

    From there I pdf it and out it goes. I'm not sure if I'll check back on this thread so PM me if you have anymore questions about working in MS Word... I"m 10 years in now and am overall very happy with my setup.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •