Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Repair addendum verbiage

    I am going through the third re-inspection of aluminum wire repairs and the client is not going to get what I believe they need due to improper wording of the repair addendum. I gave plenty of information and their agent referred to the report but the seller (a flipper) reworded the repair addendum and the buyer (my client) signed off. So now instead of re-terminating all connections, they are only doing the switches and outlets (recepticals), not the lights, fans, or other junctions.

    So here is the conundrum, is there a method anyone uses to try and protect their clients from themselves on technical issues like this?
    I'm thinking of offering to read through their addendum before the client signs off but the liability would be huge. Maybe a warning to the client. I know we all pass it off to a licensed tradesman but in my area, that is a joke, especially with aluminum wiring. This is the second job I have seen a supposed Electrician use plain wire nuts to pigtail copper and claim it is an appropriate repair. In fact I have yet to see a proper aluminum wire repair.
    Just venting a bit but still seriously looking for more help for my clients.

    Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: Repair addendum verbiage

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    I am going through the third re-inspection of aluminum wire repairs and the client is not going to get what I believe they need due to improper wording of the repair addendum. I gave plenty of information and their agent referred to the report but the seller (a flipper) reworded the repair addendum and the buyer (my client) signed off. So now instead of re-terminating all connections, they are only doing the switches and outlets (recepticals), not the lights, fans, or other junctions.

    So here is the conundrum, is there a method anyone uses to try and protect their clients from themselves on technical issues like this?
    I'm thinking of offering to read through their addendum before the client signs off but the liability would be huge. Maybe a warning to the client. I know we all pass it off to a licensed tradesman but in my area, that is a joke, especially with aluminum wiring. This is the second job I have seen a supposed Electrician use plain wire nuts to pigtail copper and claim it is an appropriate repair. In fact I have yet to see a proper aluminum wire repair.
    Just venting a bit but still seriously looking for more help for my clients.
    Jim
    Unless you plan to marry the house and the work being done, not a lot you can do. The more you get involved in the repairs or even over-site of the repairs the more you approve of the work and the responsibility that goes along with that approval. If that is what you want, no problem, go for it.

    My Daddy says
    "It's not a problem, until there's a problem"

    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Re: Repair addendum verbiage

    Yeah, I get it but it still chaps me that once we leave, the agents and sellers and unscrupulous contractors (maybe not unscrupulous but just dumb) screw things up just as bad if not worse.

    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: Repair addendum verbiage

    When you write up how (not as in 'exactly how' but as in 'how as recommended by CPS, etc.'), I recommend adding wording such as:
    - It is typical for sellers to want to do less and to try to get the client to do less, it is also typical for contractors to want to do less because doing it correctly is quite expensive and not all contractors are qualified to do it correctly, and then the agents try to say that doing less is okay, so, for that I recommend remembering these words: fire, Fire, FIRE, FIRE!, and that whoever tries to say doing less is okay, that those people furnish a pre-paid 20 year insurance policy protecting the house against fire resulting from electrical causes - which is the most common cause of house fires.
    - If they are not willing to provide the insurance policy, do not accept their recommended procedure of less work.
    - Remember ... fire, Fire, FIRE, FIRE!

    And if that is too subtle, I can try to find stronger wording.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southwest US
    Posts
    585

    Default Re: Repair addendum verbiage

    Some of the trouble is, there doesn't seem to be any consensus on the proper repair or even the need for repair. I had one where the electrician just replaced all the switches and receptacles with Cu/Al rated stuff. Was this appropriate? I don't know. As you say, he didn't deal with any of the other splices.
    What is the proper repair these days?


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: Repair addendum verbiage

    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    Some of the trouble is, there doesn't seem to be any consensus on the proper repair or even the need for repair. I had one where the electrician just replaced all the switches and receptacles with Cu/Al rated stuff. Was this appropriate? I don't know. As you say, he didn't deal with any of the other splices.
    What is the proper repair these days?
    Per this goverment link.. http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/516.pdf
    pg 4 says all connections

    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southwest US
    Posts
    585

    Default Re: Repair addendum verbiage

    Good info, Dan. Nice to see what they are recommending this week.
    We have some condos where I am that all have aluminum wiring. Of course, I recommend that they get it properly repaired, but what good is it if all your attached neighboring units also have aluminum wiring?


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Re: Repair addendum verbiage

    The preferred "repair" is to replace the aluminum wire with copper.
    Failing that, I then recommend the COPALUM but the last two clients could not find a company currently using that method.
    I think the AlumCon connectors would be equivalent and are accepted by the CPSC from my understanding.

    The trouble is trying to get everyone down the line to understand and cooperate with a complete repair.

    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lake Barrington, IL
    Posts
    1,363

    Default Re: Repair addendum verbiage

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Yeah, I get it but it still chaps me that once we leave, the agents and sellers and unscrupulous contractors (maybe not unscrupulous but just dumb) screw things up just as bad if not worse.
    I know that feeling all to well. It took me a few years but I finally learned to put that stuff out of my head once I leave the job. Hand holding can turn into a monstrous job that can be very unrewarding.

    Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: Repair addendum verbiage

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    I know that feeling all to well. It took me a few years but I finally learned to put that stuff out of my head once I leave the job. Hand holding can turn into a monstrous job that can be very unrewarding.
    That's why my B-slap is sometimes the best way.

    It gets their attention and is very fulfilling if not rewarding.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •