Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 66 to 77 of 77
  1. #66
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Coming Soon to Rooftops

    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    JL: There are, after all, other things in this life to consider than just the money.

    I am smiling at that quote A D

    I hear it so often that I don't hear it any more.

    I know....money is not everything....but..........it sure do help and changes ones life and life style completely, with out it.

    Other than the love of a good woman....................... money is one of the biggest things in life to consider.

    Money can buy happiness. Money can even buy love, temporarily (isn't that a song). I did not say that. Money buys the car you drive in and the home you live in and the food you eat and the clothes on your back and the dresser to put them in.


    Yep...I would put money right up there on the top of the list with one or 2 other things.

    Yup...I would say that thee is not a lot more to consider than money.


    Money may be the route of more evil but money is the route of a lot of good as well.

    Money....Money.... Money...gotta love the stuff.

    Last edited by Ted Menelly; 09-02-2009 at 01:26 PM.
    Inspection Referral

  2. #67
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Coming Soon to Rooftops

    Quote Originally Posted by Corn Walker View Post
    First explain to me what you think money is, then I'll answer your question.

    As for electricity price...
    Hidden and excluded from the price of your cheap electricity is the increased medical expenses for treating asthma due to particulate pollution (which, it must be argued, is less bad now than when everyone was burning wood for heat). Missing from that price is the loss of livelihood from farmers and fishers when mountaintops are dumped into streams, or coal ash dams breach.

    Subsidies include more than just direct payments to individuals and corporations. They exist in regulations (or lack thereof) and trade policy. Your ham sandwich is cheap because meat production is subsidized through tariffs on imports, discounted grazing fees on federal (read public) land, direct subsidy payments to farmers to keep feed prices low, lack of regulation around livestock waste lagoons, and lax enforcement of labor and safety policies in meat processing and packaging plants. That subsidized meat is then transported across subsidized roads on subsidized tractor trailers burning subsidized oil. Repeat after me: the is no such thing as a "free market."

    As with most discussions, people typically only argue on the surface and don't appreciate the larger, much more complex picture. They also take words as synonyms, take "price" and "cost" for example, when they are in fact entirely different. Conservatism succeeds because people will always accept a simple answer, no matter how wrong, over a complex one.


    Hmmm

    Not that I agree or disagree with you about any overly thought out thought process you may have but I will say this.

    I was born and raised and spent 36 years in Mass.

    You certainly sound like you were spawned from one of those Western Mass Liberal Schools.

    The funny part is it sounds like you are mixing corn liqueur in with the spawning from a Wester Mass Liberal School.

    Relax....................just poking your ribs here.


  3. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Western Massachusetts
    Posts
    536

    Default Re: Coming Soon to Rooftops

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Hmmm

    Not that I agree or disagree with you about any overly thought out thought process you may have but I will say this.

    I was born and raised and spent 36 years in Mass.

    You certainly sound like you were spawned from one of those Western Mass Liberal Schools.

    The funny part is it sounds like you are mixing corn liqueur in with the spawning from a Wester Mass Liberal School.

    Relax....................just poking your ribs here.
    Poke away. I wasn't born and raised in Mass, nor did I attend a Western Mass Liberal School (not entirely sure what those are - but suffice it to say since I didn't attend school in MA I must not have attended one of those either).

    Nor am I a liberal in the traditional sense of the word (to wit, I'm more of a libertarian socialist minus the anarchism and with no illusion that it's at all practical or possible). Nothing amuses me more than seeing people driving their liberal cars and thinking they're making a difference. My '97 Civic gets better gas milage than a Smart for Two, and it has a back seat and trunk. And I reserve a special amount of contempt for those liberals who want to shut all the coal fired power plants but then say "not in my back yard" to projects like Cape Wind because it might spoil their view.

    What seems consistent, no matter what your political leanings, is that many people don't want to think and research and prefer to argue from ignorance and ideological position rather than in good faith. If you're going to argue something, the minimum you should do is research your assertions. If not, I don't see how you're adding any value to the debate.


  4. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hudson, WI
    Posts
    645

    Default Re: Coming Soon to Rooftops

    Libertarian socialism

    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Libertarian socialism (sometimes called socialist anarchism,[1][2] and sometimes left libertarianism[3][4]) is a group of political philosophies that aspire to create a society without political, economic, or social hierarchies, i.e. a society in which all violent or coercive institutions would be dissolved, and in their place every person would have free, equal access to the tools of information and production.[5]


    This equality and freedom would be achieved through the abolition of authoritarian institutions that own and control productive means as private property,[6] so that direct control of these means of production and resources will be shared by society as a whole. Libertarian socialism also constitutes a tendency of thought that informs the identification, criticism and practical dismantling of illegitimate authority in all aspects of social life. Accordingly libertarian socialists believe that “the exercise of power in any institutionalized form – whether economic, political, religious, or sexual – brutalizes both the wielder of power and the one over whom it is exercised.”[7]


    Libertarian socialists place their hopes in trade unions, workers' councils, municipalities, citizens' assemblies, and other non-bureaucratic, decentralized means of direct democracy.[8] Many libertarian socialists advocate doing away with the state altogether, seeing it as a bulwark of capitalist class rule, while others propose that a minimal, non-hierarchical version is unobjectionable.[9]
    Political philosophies commonly described as libertarian socialist include most varieties of anarchism (especially anarchist communism, anarchist collectivism, anarcho-syndicalism,[10] mutualism,[11] social ecology,[12] autonomism and council communism).[13] Some writers use libertarian socialism synonymously with anarchism[14] and in particular socialist anarchism.[1][2]


  5. #70
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Coming Soon to Rooftops

    Quote Originally Posted by Corn Walker View Post
    Poke away. I wasn't born and raised in Mass, nor did I attend a Western Mass Liberal School (not entirely sure what those are - but suffice it to say since I didn't attend school in MA I must not have attended one of those either).

    Nor am I a liberal in the traditional sense of the word (to wit, I'm more of a libertarian socialist minus the anarchism and with no illusion that it's at all practical or possible). Nothing amuses me more than seeing people driving their liberal cars and thinking they're making a difference. My '97 Civic gets better gas milage than a Smart for Two, and it has a back seat and trunk. And I reserve a special amount of contempt for those liberals who want to shut all the coal fired power plants but then say "not in my back yard" to projects like Cape Wind because it might spoil their view.

    What seems consistent, no matter what your political leanings, is that many people don't want to think and research and prefer to argue from ignorance and ideological position rather than in good faith. If you're going to argue something, the minimum you should do is research your assertions. If not, I don't see how you're adding any value to the debate.
    CW: You cannot argue successfully with an ignorant man. There is no man more ignorant than the one who cultivates his ignorance, or to say it another way, is stupid.

    The ability to cut and paste articles from Wikipedia can be achieved by an orangutan. The ability to understand the concepts behind the information and how they relate to the society as a whole cannot.

    The orangutan is working at the upper limits of his abilities - by design. The conservative (not the political term, but the philosophical) is working at the lower of his - by choice. The orangutan changes as necessary to adapt to his ineluctably ever-changing environment. The conservative believes he can stop the change through wishful (non)thinking.

    Which of these creatures would you rather converse with? My money is on the monkey.


  6. #71
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hudson, WI
    Posts
    645

    Default Re: Coming Soon to Rooftops

    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    CW: You cannot argue successfully with an ignorant man. There is no man more ignorant than the one who cultivates his ignorance, or to say it another way, is stupid.
    That has been my experience as well Arron.

    Since Corn did not explain what a libertarian socialist is, I thought it might prove instructive to some to post a definition.

    How do you classify yourself?

    I can look it up for you if you need help.


  7. #72
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Coming Soon to Rooftops

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Larson View Post
    That has been my experience as well Arron.

    Since Corn did not explain what a libertarian socialist is, I thought it might prove instructive to some to post a definition.

    How do you classify yourself?

    I can look it up for you if you need help.
    ML: I think that sorting people out into neat little groups of "this or that" based solely upon one singular aspect of their personality or behavior is pointless. It does tend to alienate us from one another, but serves no constructive purpose.

    But, to answer your question, if I had to at this moment hold myself forth to others as a "this or that" I might say that I am both post-theological and trans-partisan in nature. I believe in looking at as many sides of any issue as I can and then forming my own opinion based upon my personal experiences. I attempt to double-space those opinions so that I can continually change them as I constantly run into fallacies in my beliefs.

    I may seem crass and overbearing at times but only because I am very demanding of others and myself when it comes to the job of thinking things out. A work in progress, just like everyone else, I suppose.


  8. #73
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Coming Soon to Rooftops

    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    ML: I think that sorting people out into neat little groups of "this or that" based solely upon one singular aspect of their personality or behavior is pointless. It does tend to alienate us from one another, but serves no constructive purpose.

    But, to answer your question, if I had to at this moment hold myself forth to others as a "this or that" I might say that I am both post-theological and trans-partisan in nature. I believe in looking at as many sides of any issue as I can and then forming my own opinion based upon my personal experiences. I attempt to double-space those opinions so that I can continually change them as I constantly run into fallacies in my beliefs.

    I may seem crass and overbearing at times but only because I am very demanding of others and myself when it comes to the job of thinking things out. A work in progress, just like everyone else, I suppose.
    Hmmm

    What do you mean. I dun unastan


  9. #74
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Coming Soon to Rooftops

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Hmmm

    What do you mean. I dun unastan
    TM: Buy a d-i-c-t-i-o-n-a-r-y and use it.

    Not to sit on so that you can see over the dashboard either.

    Read it and you might be able to write in an intelligible fashion on this forum - hell, maybe even in your reports, where you are holding yourself out to be a technical writer or sorts.

    Save yourself further embarrassment. Act as if.

    Otherwise, buy a Stetson, big belt buckle, Tony Lamas, a can of Skoal, and act like the other FW fools do.


  10. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: Coming Soon to Rooftops

    That reminds me; what does a Corvette and a stetson have in common with a hemorrhoid?




    Sooner or later every ass hole gets one!




  11. #76
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Coming Soon to Rooftops

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    That reminds me; what does a Corvette and a stetson have in common with a hemorrhoid?




    Sooner or later every ass hole gets one!

    RW: Agreed.


  12. #77
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Coming Soon to Rooftops

    Mr Corn and I guess even Mr Aaron.

    This from CW

    "First explain to me what you think money is, then I'll answer your question.

    As for electricity price...
    Hidden and excluded from the price of your cheap electricity is the increased medical expenses for treating asthma due to particulate pollution (which, it must be argued, is less bad now than when everyone was burning wood for heat). Missing from that price is the loss of livelihood from farmers and fishers when mountaintops are dumped into streams, or coal ash dams breach.

    Subsidies include more than just direct payments to individuals and corporations. They exist in regulations (or lack thereof) and trade policy. Your ham sandwich is cheap because meat production is subsidized through tariffs on imports, discounted grazing fees on federal (read public) land, direct subsidy payments to farmers to keep feed prices low, lack of regulation around livestock waste lagoons, and lax enforcement of labor and safety policies in meat processing and packaging plants. That subsidized meat is then transported across subsidized roads on subsidized tractor trailers burning subsidized oil. Repeat after me: the is no such thing as a "free market."

    As with most discussions, people typically only argue on the surface and don't appreciate the larger, much more complex picture. They also take words as synonyms, take "price" and "cost" for example, when they are in fact entirely different. Conservatism succeeds because people will always accept a simple answer, no matter how wrong, over a complex one."


    I do not have to swim in a pile of cow crap to know it smells and feels like cow crap or to evaluate the stench and constituency to know it came from a cow.

    If you did not get the subtle little minded meaning of the statement above then just think that more is not always better. It is not always advisable or necessary to delve into every aspect of every subject just to try to make some arbitrary point. As said. More is not always better. One does not have to go into the intricacies of folding toilet paper to know how to wipe your but. Sometimes talk just becomes dribble and the guy listening across the room is saying to his mate when that dribble is being spewed out,

    "What a dip ****. Who is he thinking he is impressing? " That guy has his head so far up his backside he can scratch his tonsils with his teath! Talk about someone who just loves to listen to himself talk!"


    I love reading this forum just to watch and see what the next inspector is going to write to try to put himself at the top end of the literary scale or place himself on high over someone else. I get a kick out of it.

    Keep it up folks. You are the ones that keep life entertaining.

    And this from Aaron

    CW: You cannot argue successfully with an ignorant man. There is no man more ignorant than the one who cultivates his ignorance, or to say it another way, is stupid.

    The ability to cut and paste articles from Wikipedia can be achieved by an orangutan. The ability to understand the concepts behind the information and how they relate to the society as a whole cannot.

    The orangutan is working at the upper limits of his abilities - by design. The conservative (not the political term, but the philosophical) is working at the lower of his - by choice. The orangutan changes as necessary to adapt to his ineluctably ever-changing environment. The conservative believes he can stop the change through wishful (non)thinking.

    Which of these creatures would you rather converse with? My money is on the monkey.


    You gotta love it. If I did not have another inspection this afternoon I would stick around to see what got spewed forth next

    Ignorant men.............Dam..........You got to love em. The ignorant calling the ignorant ignorant



Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •