Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    Jon mackay's Avatar
    Jon mackay Guest

    Default Opinions needed on roof

    This house has an inspection report stating "Estimate 5 years remaining to the lifespan of the shingles."

    The appraiser has apparently stated something along these lines also but I did not see this in writing.

    Before stating my opinion, I am hoping that I can get some others to take a look. If you wouldn't mind sharing your opinions, it would be greatly appreciated.

    1. Shingles are not overlapping the rain grooves at most areas.

    2. Repaired portions noted.

    3. Replaced portions noted.

    4. Uneven installation at some areas.

    5. Holes in shingles noted.

    6. Sliding shingle noted.

    7. Worn aggregate noted.

    8. Areas of exposed felt noted.

    Similar Threads:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    NHIE Practice Exam

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    Re used shingles at ridge, different batch of shingles, one older, one newer, not new new but replaced a different time. Now you have two different aging shingles. Complete shingle replacement. Leakage probability is high.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI
    Posts
    4,086

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    Two different roofs have been joined, due to addition or partial reconstruction. Left is lower elevation and less slope slightly. Replacement, reinstallation/reuse, or retrofit ridge vents are wrong (esp. first series). See far more than a single "slipped".

    Newer shingles are over exposed and shorter. Ex. difference between metric and us standard 3-tabs. Stagger and exposure is wrong for "newer 'work'" ('work' is generous). Suspicious old may be asphaltic imp. felt, newer likely fiberglass mat so no true transiiton or break between dissimilar material compositions makes for more failures both extremes of winter and summer, also.

    Second series newer additiion or "connection" structure note moss colonizing at the ridge gable end.

    Seems between old and new are incorrect. Multiple 3-tabs are broken, not nailed at Right sides. Cut tabs mid-seam are too short.

    Unprofessional DIY type modifications/repair work esp. at transitions both roof covering and roof structures.

    SWAG the other "opinion" was based upon limited section of original area shy of the ridge modification(s) and nowhere near the repairs, seams, or transitions of the later "work".

    When was the smoke/fire/lightening strike? (cooked course under replaced ridge vent). Looks like there has been more than one damaging "event" in this roofing "system" (use that word loosely)'s history.

    This roofing system/covering is failing, multiple loose, broken, and unsecured areas. What did you find in the attic and/or exposed area in the suspected now attached garage or addition?

    I wouldn't expect it getting through to next spring without failures if it isn't showing evidence of already. Not cost effective to repair, remove and replace, and when exposed correct transitions to second structure or addition.

    If the "appraiser" was for an FHA, HUD, VA loan dispute it.
    Tax assessor, dispute it.

    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 05-03-2011 at 10:11 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,549

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    In my opinion, you would be sticking your neck out predicting any lifespan for that roof.
    Sure it might not leak for a while, but a gust of wind could change that tomorrow. First pic in the second batch shows a shingle slipping down, not nailed properly. There is amateur work at the junction of the to roofs, and they've re-used some old shingles at the ridge. There are damaged shingles.
    This roof could develop a leak at any time.

    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

  5. #5
    Jon mackay's Avatar
    Jon mackay Guest

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    What did you find in the attic and/or exposed area in the suspected now attached garage or addition?
    The attic inspection is to be done later this week.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    IMHo, the roof is toast and needs to be replaced.

    A person might get a few more years out of it with some patching but no way I would estimate 5 years (I don't give a life expectancy estimate at all) on that roof!

    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

  7. #7
    James Duffin's Avatar
    James Duffin Guest

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon mackay View Post
    This house has an inspection report stating "Estimate 5 years remaining to the lifespan of the shingles."

    The appraiser has apparently stated something along these lines also but I did not see this in writing.

    Before stating my opinion, I am hoping that I can get some others to take a look. If you wouldn't mind sharing your opinions, it would be greatly appreciated.

    1. Shingles are not overlapping the rain grooves at most areas.

    2. Repaired portions noted.

    3. Replaced portions noted.

    4. Uneven installation at some areas.

    5. Holes in shingles noted.

    6. Sliding shingle noted.

    7. Worn aggregate noted.

    8. Areas of exposed felt noted.
    I would list the items you noted above and say that the roof is in poor condition and needs to be replaced soon. I would also comment if it was raining or not and if I saw any evidence of leaks or not.


  8. #8
    Jon mackay's Avatar
    Jon mackay Guest

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    I would list the items you noted above and say that the roof is in poor condition and needs to be replaced soon. I would also comment if it was raining or not and if I saw any evidence of leaks or not.
    All of the issues will be listed.
    We have had plenty of rain so once I get into the attic, I will see what I can see as far as that goes. Unfortunately, it is mostly vaulted ceiling so access will be slim to none.


  9. #9
    James Duffin's Avatar
    James Duffin Guest

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon mackay View Post
    All of the issues will be listed.
    We have had plenty of rain so once I get into the attic, I will see what I can see as far as that goes. Unfortunately, it is mostly vaulted ceiling so access will be slim to none.
    But at least you will have said all you could say based on what you saw. Does the vaulted ceiling look recently painted?


  10. #10
    Jon mackay's Avatar
    Jon mackay Guest

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    Does the vaulted ceiling look recently painted?
    The interiors still need to be inspected, I will be on the lookout..


  11. #11
    chris mcintyre's Avatar
    chris mcintyre Guest

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon mackay View Post
    This house has an inspection report stating "Estimate 5 years remaining to the lifespan of the shingles."
    This may be true if the inspection was done 10 years ago.

    If the they disagree with you, you would be very safe suggesting a shingle rep come by and give his professional opinion because not only does it need replacing due to its age/wear, it is also installed wrong.


  12. #12
    Jon mackay's Avatar
    Jon mackay Guest

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    If the they disagree with you, you would be very safe suggesting a shingle rep come by and give his professional opinion because not only does it need replacing due to its age/wear, it is also installed wrong.
    Yes, this is true, good point.


  13. #13
    Darrel Hood's Avatar
    Darrel Hood Guest

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    IMHO when more than a couple of shingles have been replaced on a roof, the roof is at the end of its useful life. Of course there are exceptions, but in most cases I report a repaired roof as needing replacement.

    Darrel Hood
    DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Posts
    292

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    Like everyone else I would be reporting that roof as having reached the end of it's service life and should be replaced....roofs nearing the end of their service life should be replaced prior to the appearance of leaks to prevent damage to the underlying structure....

    If you're getting push back suggesting calling in a shingle rep is a great idea....I will remember that option myself.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    1,984

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    My report would state, start saving money now, replace as soon as feasible.
    The roof is done. Most of the roof looks shot, a few spots look better but not by much. The hump from the house roof to the porch roof? is especially worrisome.

    www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

  16. #16
    James Duffin's Avatar
    James Duffin Guest

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    This may be true if the inspection was done 10 years ago.

    If the they disagree with you, you would be very safe suggesting a shingle rep come by and give his professional opinion because not only does it need replacing due to its age/wear, it is also installed wrong.
    For what it's worth...I had my roof replaced last November and the installer used a nail gun and drive most of the nails all the way through the shingles. He was a sub for another contractor that I already owed about $10k to so when I mentioned it to the contractor I hired he called the Certainteed rep to come out and take a look. All the rep would commit to is that there was nothing wrong with the shingles themselves. He would not commit to the poor installation. So the contractor called another roofer who offers roof inspections and as soon as he got out of his truck he said the new roof needed to be replaced....which it was. My point is that the Certainteed rep who came to my house was not much help. Your experience may differ.


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,778

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    Getting a factory rep out, if he would come to look at someone elses product, will produce little.

    There is so much wrong with the roof, but that does not mean it leaking and possible might last 5 years longer. Have seen real bad shingle holding on long past useful life. Its a crap shoot. A lot of variables that could effect the shingle over the next few years. If questioned I might say that it could last 5 years though it may last only 5 days. Risk - reward situation.


  18. #18
    Jon mackay's Avatar
    Jon mackay Guest

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    A look at the attic area (which is limited to approximately 30% due to vaulted ceilings) revealed very nice looking plywood decking.

    Except for directly adjacent to the attic hatch there is a saturated area. No a huge area, but an certain failing roof none the less.

    So all of the easy to identify items noted and an easily identified leak but somehow the shingles have approximately 5 years of life left.

    Incredible.


  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Greenville, N.C.
    Posts
    254

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    That older ridge vent likely dates the roof to a minimum of 15 yrs and easily 20. A 20 year shingle on that pitch rarely gets 20 years. But since the sum of the parts are likely only as good as the weakest part, I'd say budget to replace.
    JLMathis


  20. #20
    Milton Grew's Avatar
    Milton Grew Guest

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    I would not venture an estimate on roof life because of its overall poor condition and various shingles used. I would say buyer should be aware that replacement may be necessary at any time.


  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    List all the defects, show the pictures, summarize:
    The roof is past the end of its' useful life and should be replaced. During the replacement I strongly recommend shingle removal so the underlying deck and flashing can be inspected and repaired as needed.


  22. #22
    mike huntzinger's Avatar
    mike huntzinger Guest

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    I would also mention that the downspout needs to be extended to the gutter below ,


  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    358

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon mackay View Post
    A look at the attic area (which is limited to approximately 30% due to vaulted ceilings) revealed very nice looking plywood decking.

    Except for directly adjacent to the attic hatch there is a saturated area. No a huge area, but an certain failing roof none the less.

    So all of the easy to identify items noted and an easily identified leak but somehow the shingles have approximately 5 years of life left.

    Incredible.
    Maybe they were thinking "Dog Years" which is about 8 months in Human Time....


  24. #24

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    First in my opinion NEVER give estimates on how long anything is goin to last!

    I would report the items as you seen in your report and you recommend having a roofing contractor evluate and repair/replace as needed. This will take you of the hook and your are reporting your honest opinion!


  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    574

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    Jon,

    Who cares what anyone else says? Not your problem.
    I would never comment on someone else's opinion. They have a right to their opinion and they own it.

    If you have been asked to inspect the roof then I recommend you provide:

    1. your observations
    2. your opinion on condition
    3. your recommendations

    If it were me, I would report the following:

    1. Observations: (same as your list)
    2. Opinion: The roof is fully depreciated, past end of useful life, has been patched to extend life and requires replacement.
    3. Recommendation: Contact a licensed roofing contractor for replacement estimates now, prior to purchase.

    I would NEVER give an opinion on estimated remaining life - I am not a soothsayer. Very dangerous.

    Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Opinions needed on roof

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Amelin View Post
    Jon,


    I would NEVER give an opinion on estimated remaining life - I am not a soothsayer. Very dangerous.

    In this case I would be willing to do so.


    "None."

    I would probably also make a comment to the effect that roof replacement will likely involve discovery of further issues not visible at this time.

    Who would tell someone they could expect 5 years from that roof? I wouldn't expect 5 days.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •