Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: New Garage

  1. #1
    Mary Zittle's Avatar
    Mary Zittle Guest

    Default New Garage

    Hello all we are building our new 30x40 garage and want to make sure we do it right the first time. How should a garage be vented? Does it need to be? It is 2x6 walls and 4/12 trusses if that helps any.

    Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral SOC

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    1,984

    Default Re: New Garage

    Most municipalities around Chicago, have specific garage requirements that include venting. If you are in the rest of the State, down yonder somewhere that those of us up here barely know exists, then I don't know what the rules are.
    A standard 2 car garage has 2 vents typically, sometimes 4. For that big of a garage, I would suggest you think about what it is being used for. Long term storage, yard vehicles with debris on them, boat with canvas, etc. You may want additional roof vent or even mechanical ventilation.
    If your garage builder is unable to provide confident, reasonable answers, it might be time to interview other garage builders.

    www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

  3. #3
    Ray Norton's Avatar
    Ray Norton Guest

    Default Re: New Garage

    I don't know of any codes that require venting an uninsulated and unconditioned garage. If this garage is detached with all wood exposed to the single garage area, no venting required. Check building department for any local requirements.


  4. #4
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: New Garage

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Norton View Post
    I don't know of any codes that require venting an uninsulated and unconditioned garage. If this garage is detached with all wood exposed to the single garage area, no venting required. Check building department for any local requirements.

    There is no reason not to vent the garage. Moisture buildup, excessive heat build up in the summer, just that musty smell from being closed up, car storage or boat storaghe you want dry and not high humidity etc etc. What can venting hurt,,,,,,, nothing. Vent it as any home is vented the cost is next to nothing when being built.


  5. #5
    Mary Zittle's Avatar
    Mary Zittle Guest

    Default Re: New Garage

    Thank you everyone


  6. #6
    Ray Norton's Avatar
    Ray Norton Guest

    Default Re: New Garage

    Huh? The question was does it need to be vented, the answer is no. My opinion as to whether or not it should be vented is entirely irrelevant.

    Last edited by Ray Norton; 07-12-2011 at 07:49 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,245

    Default Re: New Garage

    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Zittle View Post
    Hello all we are building our new 30x40 garage and want to make sure we do it right the first time. How should a garage be vented? Does it need to be? It is 2x6 walls and 4/12 trusses if that helps any.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Norton View Post
    Huh? The question was does it need to be vented, the answer is no. My opinion as to whether or not it should be vented is entirely irrelevant.
    Actually, the question was not "does it need to be vented", the question had three parts, in this order: 1) "make sure we do it right the first time" - vent the garage, there is no reason not to; 2) "How should a garage be vented?" - there are several ways to vent a garage; 3) (que your post) "Does it need to be?" - no, the code does not require it.

    Of course, though, it should be repeated that "code" is the "minimum standard", that code is "the crappiest one is legally allowed to do it", and there is no reason not to do it better than "code" "minimum".

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •