Default STAIR STRINGER NOT ON LANDING

Greeting all and Happy New Year

Got a new build here and isn't the stringer suppose to sit fully on landing or be notched

thanks

charlie

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by CHARLIE VAN FLEET; 02-18-2023 at 02:50 PM.
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: STAIR STRINGER NOT ON LANDING

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    Greeting all and Happy New Year

Got a new build here and isn't the stringer suppose to sit fully on landing or be notched

thanks

charlie
    LEFT OUT PICTURE

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Still no pic....

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Still no pic....
    still trying to upload photo

Last edited by CHARLIE VAN FLEET; 02-19-2023 at 06:56 AM. Reason: no photo

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    still trying to upload photo
    Dom

I cant get the picture to upload and im following all instruction--never had problem before. wish i could email it to you. need to get an answer before Monday

charlie

Charlie, the usual reason as of late (the past couple of years) is that the photo is larger than 1200 on any side.

I suspect the reason it didn't used to be we weren't using camera settings which too higher resolution photos, and with higher resolution comes a larger size, and it blows past that 1200 limit.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Charlie, the usual reason as of late (the past couple of years) is that the photo is larger than 1200 on any side.

I suspect the reason it didn't used to be we weren't using camera settings which too higher resolution photos, and with higher resolution comes a larger size, and it blows past that 1200 limit.
    just made photo smaller here it goes

Yep, heel of stringer bottom needs to rest on something, not just air.

I suspect that they set and poured the landing pad based on rough measurements, then constructed the stair, and ... oops ... the run of the stair was shorter than they estimated it would be*.

An extended concrete pad needs to be poured, and it needs to be doweled into the existing concrete pad so it will stay in place.

*Which causes me to suspect that the stair treads and stair risers may not be consistent, and may not be correct either.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

thanks Jerry

don't remember having to reduce photo that much in past. Here is say house and the deck post footing--again new build. Can't wait to send pictures to the city and see what they say about passing this job

thanks

charlie

Charlie, The tops of those foundation pilings/footings (whichever they are, probably just footings) being chipped off may likely be of no structural consequence, just cosmetic, depending on:
    - is the column inside a metal column and fully supported on its base on the flat center top of that footing
    - is the column inside a wood post and fully ... blah, blah, blah
    - is the column inside a concrete block column and fully ... blah, blah, blah ... or does the concrete block column inside overhang the face shells being fully bedded and supported?

However ... look at the off-plumb angle of that back colum (see photo).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Jerry

Yes did note the off center back post. But the buyer freaked out on the compromised concrete and so did I. For gosh sake its new, don't ya think when they saw the bad concrete they would have fixed it. Everything is a rush job today with these builders

thanks

Possibly hit the top of that with a Bobcat moving earth around leveling the area out. Doesn't take much of a hit with the bucket of a Bobcat to break those concrete corners off.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Not that it really matters much, but I have seen concrete lose corners when the forms are stripped too soon as well. Concrete doesn't take much abuse when it's still green.

I would guess that the column footings were made that massive in order to follow the visual lines of the columns above. While I do agree with Jerry that the damage to the piers is likely not structurally significant (within the parameters that JP set), I also agree with CVF that had they patched the concrete, it would not have been flagged as an issue. Now, the contractor is going to have to get something from the PE to verify that it isn't a problem.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

This is something that I keep thinking about:

That not plumb column may have been hit by a Bobcat, which bumped the bottom sideways.

IF that happened ... IF ... that happened, then the footing is likely not deep enough. The bottom of footings are supposed to be a minimum of 12" below frost depth, and frost depth is likely at least 2' to 3' down up there, which would mean that the bottom of the footing would be at least 3' to 4' down.

If a Bobcat hit a concrete column foundation which was 2' to 3' tall, and 3' to 4' in the ground, I doubt the bottom would have moved. More likely the top would have tipped to the side. Which would leave the column looking "broken" at the top of the concrete to column joint.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 02-22-2023 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Posted using phone, just noticed a "for deep enough" where a "not deep enough" should be
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com