brianmiller Guest

Default Slighlty cock-eyed lintel

The lintel was install with the right side pushed slightly farther in. No distress to the bricks/motar. Noteworthy in report? Or not?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by brianmiller; 07-02-2013 at 04:21 PM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Slighlty cock-eyed lintel

Quote Originally Posted by brianmiller View Post
    The lintel was install with the right side pushed slightly farther in. No distress to the bricks/motar. Noteworthy in report? Or not?
    If your asking about the width of the lintel support It would not make my report.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

That looks OK. At least 2/3 of the brick width should be bearing on the lintel.

Mike Lamb
    Inspection Connection, Inc.
    http://www.inspection2020.com/

I believe that all of you are looking at the wrong problem ... (supposed to be a 'wink', not a 'smile) ...

Zoom in and look at the line where the brick previously was on the lintel ... but is now out about an inch or so. If I am seeing what I suspect I am, that portion of the brick veneer has moved outward for some reason, why it has moved outward is unknown - but that probably needs to be opened up (some of the brick removed) to find out why.

What does the wall look like inside? Is the header across the opening also skewed outward on that side of the opening? If so, that may indicate that part of the wall is being pushed outward by loads from above. Not enough information is know to make any more guesses, let alone make any assumptions, as to the cause.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Smile Re: Slighlty cock-eyed lintel

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I believe that all of you are looking at the wrong problem ... (supposed to be a 'wink', not a 'smile) ...

Zoom in and look at the line where the brick previously was on the lintel ... but is now out about an inch or so. If I am seeing what I suspect I am, that portion of the brick veneer has moved outward for some reason, why it has moved outward is unknown - but that probably needs to be opened up (some of the brick removed) to find out why.

What does the wall look like inside? Is the header across the opening also skewed outward on that side of the opening? If so, that may indicate that part of the wall is being pushed outward by loads from above. Not enough information is know to make any more guesses, let alone make any assumptions, as to the cause.
    Interesting Walking Brick Without any signs of cracking.( Smile Not a Wink )

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Interesting Walking Brick Without any signs of cracking.( Smile Not a Wink )
    Should I take that to mean that you have never seen brick which has migrated without any signs of cracking (in the areas we can see in the photo, or, for that matter, anywhere)?

Or should I take that to mean that you do not see the line along the bottom of the brick where the edge of the lintel originally was?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Should I take that to mean that you have never seen brick which has migrated without any signs of cracking (in the areas we can see in the photo, or, for that matter, anywhere)?

Or should I take that to mean that you do not see the line along the bottom of the brick where the edge of the lintel originally was?
    I've seen bowed ( broken / missing ties ) brick veneer walls without signs of cracking. But its a gentle slope /bow over many feet. Seems unlikely a short section of veneer could move an inch and not exhibit signs of cracking.
    * I'm unable to see any amount of detail with the New Forum Pictures.

I do not see it as an issue. Would not make it into my report.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Hmmm. Noteworthy or not? My thoughts are that if you feel your observations of the lintel are worth posting here, they are probably worth including in your report. Your 'eagle-eyes' might just get you additional kudos from your client. If you see no additional failure, then include that in the report also, so as to alay any fears. Better to identify something that could be an issue than simply ignore it. It's a one liner in the report.

I recently did a re-inspection of the plumbing system of a fairly new and recently upgraded home where the water had previously been turned off for the original inspection. As soon as I walked in, I smelled a musty (aka damp drywall) odor but found absolutely no evidence of leaks or moisture anywhere after a thorough moisture meter testing throughout all the logical places. I included my 'smell' observations in the report but also said I found no evidence of leakage etc. etc. but to be cognizant of a possible undetected leak. The client was there at the time and didn't smell anything. A week or so later a very tiny leak was discovered in the laundry room wall cavity - discovered while hooking up a new washer, which showed zero issues at during the original or re-inspection. The client had been forewarned in the report and I was off the hook. IMO Inspections aren't for just identifying existing problems but also for educating the client as to issues which might arise in the future and any observations, good or bad you may make.

* I'm unable to see any amount of detail with the New Forum Pictures.
    Agreed that the old way was better and easier, the new method requires two steps to accomplish which previously only required one step:
    - click the photos, wait for the Java, Flash, whatever it is that opens the photos (yeah, kind of a pain to wait and then have the photos not practical for good visibility - not Brian's fault but that of the new software ... sadly, 'new and different' does not always equate to 'better', some programmers just want to show off their skills without considering whether or not the end result is better or worse than it was)
    - once the photo opens in Java, Flash, whatever it is, click on the photo again ... the photo opens again in a new tab/window/etc - at least it does on my Google Chrome.
    - now you can use 'ctrl' and '+' to zoom in, or 'ctrl' and '-' to zoom back out

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Agreed that the old way was better and easier, the new method requires two steps to accomplish which previously only required one step:
    - click the photos, wait for the Java, Flash, whatever it is that opens the photos (yeah, kind of a pain to wait and then have the photos not practical for good visibility - not Brian's fault but that of the new software ... sadly, 'new and different' does not always equate to 'better', some programmers just want to show off their skills without considering whether or not the end result is better or worse than it was)
    - once the photo opens in Java, Flash, whatever it is, click on the photo again ... the photo opens again in a new tab/window/etc - at least it does on my Google Chrome.
    - now you can use 'ctrl' and '+' to zoom in, or 'ctrl' and '-' to zoom back out
    Ok,

In picture one brick 2 1/2 back from the edge I see a feathered mortar line extending outward, which Could Indicate wall movement.

Window could have been adjusted prior to mortar setting as well.

In picture one brick 2 1/2 back from the edge I see a feathered mortar line extending outward, which Could Indicate wall movement.
    That mortar edge is on a number of bricks, also notice that one brick on the lintel is offset from the adjacent brick ... but the mortar shows not change.

Now zoom in 200% and look at the quality ... er ... lack thereof ... of the brickwork. Many of the brick faces are not 'in plane' or aligned with adjacent brick. That looks to have been intentional across the top of the wall, but I doubt it was intentional within the field areas of the wall.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

That mortar edge is on a number of bricks, also notice that one brick on the lintel is offset from the adjacent brick ... but the mortar shows not change.

Now zoom in 200% and look at the quality ... er ... lack thereof ... of the brickwork. Many of the brick faces are not 'in plane' or aligned with adjacent brick. That looks to have been intentional across the top of the wall, but I doubt it was intentional within the field areas of the wall.
    You confidence in the Mason's Intentions or Lack thereof exceeds mine.