John Bernard Guest

Default Cracked spacers between panes

I've never seen the components between the panes crack like this before. Is this something that will compromise the integrity of the window, or just a cosmetic issue?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Cracked spacers between panes

Quote Originally Posted by John Bernard View Post
    I've never seen the components between the panes crack like this before. Is this something that will compromise the integrity of the window, or just a cosmetic issue?
    Welcome John,

I'm guessing the picture is a double hung window and the " cracks" are shown on top of the bottom sash ?

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

John Bernard Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Welcome John,

I'm guessing the picture is a double hung window and the " cracks" are shown on top of the bottom sash ?
    Bill,

Your assumption is correct.

Thanks

John

In my days of installing windows the spacer between the glass could be plastic , metal or non at all depending on your preferance. It was a cosmetic upgrade if you did not want to see the black looking rubber ( I forget the name of stuff between the glass ) but as long as the window does not have condensate betwween the panes you should be good. Is there more than one window doing this and if so is it related to the windows that get the most sun? I would guess this to be true and the plastic is starting to break down.

John Bernard Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Learn View Post
    In my days of installing windows the spacer between the glass could be plastic , metal or non at all depending on your preferance. It was a cosmetic upgrade if you did not want to see the black looking rubber ( I forget the name of stuff between the glass ) but as long as the window does not have condensate betwween the panes you should be good. Is there more than one window doing this and if so is it related to the windows that get the most sun? I would guess this to be true and the plastic is starting to break down.

Doug,

Thanks for the input. It was very helpful. There was no condensate between the windows and they were on the sunny side. Looks like it's just a cosmetic issue.

John