Default I know electric meters are designed for outside weather....but...

I know electric meters are designed for outside weather....but...Can you imagine the rain run-off this meter is going to see ?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: I know electric meters are designed for outside weather....but...

Texas, it don't rain there. If it did, y'all would have gutters on a roof like that.

I agree, it's a stupid installation, and it was all laid out by an educated professional, no doubt.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

That needs a kick-out flashing anyway, so that would kick the water out to the front of the meter ...

Yeah ... stupid is as stupid does ... the simple solution is to install a length of gutter there and dump the water further to the right ... but beyond where that a/c condenser is located as it is not allowed to have roof runoff on it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

As an aside, that is a bizarre looking house!
    with that lack of overhang I would gutter everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    As an aside, that is a bizarre looking house!
    It's a good house for a dude that wears a ten gallon hat.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    I know electric meters are designed for outside weather....but...Can you imagine the rain run-off this meter is going to see ?
    Gene, do you have to climb over the AC condenser to read the meter? Looks like it in the picture.

Rich, no. There is enough room.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Tbut beyond where that a/c condenser is located as it is not allowed to have roof runoff on it.
    References?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    Did you write it up in your report? If so how did you word it?

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!
    www.psinspection.com
    Texas License# 7593

Is this a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Carlisle View Post
    Is this a problem?

Wow! That's an accident waiting to happen. Yikes!

Dave Hill
    Buyers & Sellers Property Inspections LLC
    WWW.BuyersSellersPi.Com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    References?
    Every installation instruction I have read over the past 20+ years.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

was there more attic venting than what I can see? 3'?

Lou Romano Guest

Hmmm....do they not require the use of connectors to terminate conduit in Texas? If so, where is it in the OP's pic? The downpipe appears to just butt into the meter enclosure?

Garry Blankenship Guest

That's a great Murphy's law thing. Maybe no code section to quote, but common sense has gotta have some sway. Cannot tell from that third photo, but the compressor looks very close to the meter. Should be 30", (?), I believe. A second Murphy's law application - - - back side of legs touching metallic equipment or butt on, while opening a box w/ unfused wire - - - then add some rain to that and bring to a boil.

The angle of the photo looks like the condenser is close but actually it is about 5 feet away. If you look close you can see a window that is between the two. Hard to tell in the photo I know.

I really think sometimes some folks make way more out of things than they are.

That is a flat gable there. It's not a valley. Sure some water will flow off the roof, but not what some here are making it out to be.
    Also, this is TX, how much does it possibly rain??
    I'd bet that sees as much or less rain than the gable end of any home in the Northwest, or even Northeast. Besides, IT IS MADE for direct exposure to weather.

If this were written up, what could you POSSIBLY say about it from a technical standpoint? And what would you propose as the solution?
    Or would you just say "The lazy incompetent contractor should not have done this.'

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    Besides, IT IS MADE for direct exposure to weather.
    Correct.

AND the people WHO MADE it SPECIFICALLY STATE NOT TO ALLOW roof runoff on the top of it.

So, do you believe the people who made it for direct exposure and not believe them when they tell you not to locate it under roof runoff?

Seems kind of selective in your thinking there.

The new Ford Mustang Carol Shelby designed which goes 200 mph ... you think Ford really expects you to drive it that fast? You think they will honor the warranty if you blow the engine at 200 mph? I suspect there will be something in there about that not being covered, maybe something like 'unless where withing the legal speed limits', and that would be on the race track, and, of course, *racing* violates the warranty.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Could someone please post a link that states the socket cannot be under runoff from a roof?

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

AND the people WHO MADE it SPECIFICALLY STATE NOT TO ALLOW roof runoff on the top of it.
    "Pics or it didn't happen."

I'll believe this when I see it in official writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    Could someone please post a link that states the socket cannot be under runoff from a roof?
    Jim,

The "not under the roof runoff" is regarding the air conditioner condenser unit, not the meter can - in case you thought the meter can was being referenced as related to the roof runoff discussion.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yes, I thought that was about the meter can.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Me too. Maybe the title of the thread threw me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    Me too. Maybe the title of the thread threw me off.
    For your reading pleasure ... I added bold and underlining for the applicable portion.

That needs a kick-out flashing anyway, so that would kick the water out to the front of the meter ...

Yeah ... stupid is as stupid does ... the simple solution is to install a length of gutter there and dump the water further to the right ... but beyond where that a/c condenser is located as it is not allowed to have roof runoff on it.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Robert Pike Guest

Come on guys, use some common sense. You don't need to(or should) quote code issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Pike View Post
    Come on guys, use some common sense. You don't need to(or should) quote code issues.
    Robert,

Come on now, use some common sense. There is NO REASON NOT to quote code (except for those HIs in states which prohibit quoting code, but there is usually a way around that), after all, the house was constructed to code ... or at least is SHOULD have been constructed to code, so you ought to know at least some of what you are looking at.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com