Dee Davis Guest

Default Ridge Vent installation on a hip roof

The ridge vent slot in my new roof looks like it was cut too long. I have a hip roof and the manufacturer's spec [GAF] say the slot should end 12" from the intersection of the hip and ridge.

Because the slot ends about two inches from the hip/ridge intersection, the roofers covered the slot with the ridge vent and ridge shingles and essentially had to cover over the intersection, too. Now the end of the ridge shingles sort of extends over the intersection and sticks up at both ends of the roof line.

Aside from it not looking good [which I can live with] I'm concerned that it might cause problems in the future---e.g. leaking or some other problem I haven't thought of yet!

Can anyone tell me if this needs to be corrected or if it's only esthetics but isn't going to be a structural integrity issue and cause problems for me in the future!

Thank you.

Dee

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Ridge Vent installation on a hip roof

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Davis View Post
    The ridge vent slot in my new roof looks like it was cut too long. I have a hip roof and the manufacturer's spec [GAF] say the slot should end 12" from the intersection of the hip and ridge.

Because the slot ends about two inches from the hip/ridge intersection, the roofers covered the slot with the ridge vent and ridge shingles and essentially had to cover over the intersection, too. Now the end of the ridge shingles sort of extends over the intersection and sticks up at both ends of the roof line.

Aside from it not looking good [which I can live with] I'm concerned that it might cause problems in the future---e.g. leaking or some other problem I haven't thought of yet!

Can anyone tell me if this needs to be corrected or if it's only esthetics but isn't going to be a structural integrity issue and cause problems for me in the future!

Thank you.

Dee
    Photos?

Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

Dee Davis Guest

Dee:

If this is GAF Cobra or Ridge Runner, then they say: For a uniform appearance, install Cobra®4" rigid vent over the entire length of the ridge, making sure that the vent extends past the slot opening by at least 6".

See: http://www.gaf.com/roofing/residenti...-258-18-v1.pdf

http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Residenti...-254-11-v1.pdf

I believe that, if the ridge cap were to be properly sealed and lying flat on each end, it should work fine and look much better.

Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

Yes, the ridge in these pics looks correctly installed to me. I take back what I said in a previous thread.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Lisa Hirst Carnes Guest

Dee-
    I live in a three-story house so I've never been on my roof. This video might be helpful Ridge Vent Installation.

Good luck!

Dee Davis Guest

Aaron,

The vent does extend past the slot opening by at least 6" but that's the problem. Because they cut the slot too long (see picture from inside the attic), adding the 6" meant they ran out of ridge and had to go up and over the hip/ridge intersection. From what I can tell there's no way to make it lie flatter than it is now because it's sitting on top of several layer of shingles on the intersection/cap.

The slot was supposed to end 12" from the intersection so that exending it another 6" would still end the vent before the intersection.

I'm just worried about possible leaking.....

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Make sure the roofing paper does not obstruct the air flow from the attic. There is no problem there that I can see.
    'Should' does not mean 'must'. A couple of inches won't change things drastically in that part of the roof.

Does the roof come with a warranty? If so, have the attic checked after the next big storm. If the ridge leaks, not likely, but if so, deal with it then.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Dee Davis Guest

John,

Thank you for the reply.

The roofing paper does not impede the air flow. And because it's a hip roof and the ridge is short, I elected to keep four vent boxes on the back section of the roof as well so there's plenty of air circulation.

It's already rained a couple of times and so far things look dry.

There was another suggestion that I have the roofer add End Cap shingles to the ends of the vent so that it will lie flatter on the roof?

I'm also thinking that maybe I should get the roof inspected before I give the roofer his final payout. I'm obviously on the right board for that!

Dee

Jack Henderson Guest

Dee,
    The SmartRidge End Cap can be viewed at the following address. The site shows the SmartRidge End Cap used both at the ridge and the hip (which I recommend) but only one End Cap as opposed to the three shown could be used on your roof since only the ridge is being vented. Use one on each end as they are universal right/left as well as universal to fit most all ridge vent products.
    Check out SmartRidge by DCI - Superior Ridge Vents For Maximum Ventilation . This is actually a good solution for most ridge vent runs to protect all ridge vents from weather infiltration at the ends of the runs. This can be used at gable ends, chimneys, ridge intersections, valley intersections, hip roofs, and hip roof intersections such as yours, Dee.
    FYI: I have been involved in the construction and roofing business for 43 years and want to say that this is a terrific site to get some great information. Glad to see that you are on top of your concerns and you are trying to help your contractor do the right thing and get the right information. Please give him an opportunity to correct the ends to satisfy your concerns since you are the customer. I believe most contractors are sincere and want to give the homeowner the best quality as long as the products/techniques are made available to them. I think this forum is a win-win for everyone that puts the time and effort to post problems as well as posting solutions.

Dee Davis Guest

Jack,

Thanks for the reply.

I went to the site you referenced and (maybe I'm looking at it wrong) but it looks like the vent goes over the end caps.

So would this mean removing the ridge vent that's on my roof now and reinstalling it over the end caps?

And as an aside, if I wanted an inspector to look at my roof would I be looking for a roofing inspector or someone who does all around home inspections?

Dee

Jack Henderson Guest

I would recommend calling your local building inspector because it won't cost you any money. He should advise you on the situation. Also print out the end cap directions for the inspector to see so he can advise you of his opinion. A home inspector needs to charge you an hourly fee.

The End Cap should be installed by removing about 14" of the existing vent and cap shingles, then installing the SmartRidge Tapered End Cap, then shingle cap over the vent to the intersection of the hip/ridge. The detail of the shingle caps can be seen on that website (DCI Products, Inc. - SmartRidge ). It is extremely easy to do. And if done correctly, it will be a very nice look at your roof line. Let me know how it goes.