Default When did code require vents in bathrooms

Can anyone remember when (or if) the code required either an operating window or a vent for a bathroom. Just inspected a home built in 1965 and the bath had no window or vent so I wrote it up and the seller is asking when this was required (what year).

I assumed it was always required but I do not want to make those kinds of assumptions.

Can anyone help?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

Default Re: When did code require vents in bathrooms

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Zehnder View Post
    Can anyone remember when (or if) the code required either an operating window or a vent for a bathroom. Just inspected a home built in 1965 and the bath had no window or vent so I wrote it up and the seller is asking when this was required (what year).

I assumed it was always required but I do not want to make those kinds of assumptions.

Can anyone help?
    I couldn't tell you how far back, but it is common sense to have one. It really should not matter when they were required, you just noted that the bathroom did not have one. We can't require anyting, all we can do is to recommend.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Can anyone help?
    Jeff,
    Bath ventilation has not "always" been required. Code requirements began to appear in the 70's , and required either a window or fan then later fan regardless of window.

Fred Comb, ACI
    Mahtomedi, MN
    www.homeinspectionsofmn.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Can anyone help?
    Since Uncle Fred use to come to visit decades ago and gassed out the home every time he used the bathroom. I would say, back in the 50s