Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default What's the deal with NACHI?

I cant quite get a handle on their organization, are they a 501 NP, a good source of info, or an HI mall? I hear a few different stories, what say you?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: What's the deal with NACHI?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    I cant quite get a handle on their organization, are they a 501 NP, a good source of info, or an HI mall? I hear a few different stories, what say you?
    I think they are listed as a 501 C-6. Being a NP does not mean that a company can not make money, look at NP hospitals and churches. They can have a "mall" or online store, ASHI has the same for years on their website.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I'm looking for an Org to join, and I just wasnt sure. I hear a lot of negitives with that Org. and want to make a wise choice. They do however, have some pretty cool information over there. I also like ASHI.

I'm looking for an Org to join, and I just wasnt sure. I hear a lot of negitives with that Org. and want to make a wise choice. They do however, have some pretty cool information over there. I also like ASHI.
    You need to look at the local organizations in your area. Check out the chapters, this is where you will get more out of an organization. CREIA is the main organization in CA. Many of the CREIA chapters are combination ASHI chapters as well. Yes, INACHI does have some impressive bells and whistles, and they have developed a good online education program that is free, so you don't have to be a member to use their education.

If I lived and worked in CA I would be looking at CREIA.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ryan Stouffer Guest

But if you want to take the National Home Inspectors exam, you have to take it through ASHI correct? Your local chapter can't help you with the exam can they?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stouffer View Post
    But if you want to take the National Home Inspectors exam, you have to take it through ASHI correct? Your local chapter can't help you with the exam can they?
    No! ASHI has nothing to do with the NHIE. They use it for their membership exam only.

Anyone (unless you are in a licensed state that must approve it first) can take the NHIE. Go to National Home Inspector Examination - The Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors and on the top left corner you will see a section that says Take the Test.

You will take the exam at a Pearson Vue test center. They have several locations in every State.

This what you have in Utah:
    Midvale
    4517- Midvale Pearson VUE Test Center
    7302 South 300 West Ste 301 Midvale UT 84047

Ogden
    4515- Ogden Pearson VUE Test Center
    1150 S. Depot Drive, Suite 125 Ogden UT 84404

Orem
    4516- Orem/Provo Pearson VUE Test Center
    1145 East 800 North Suite B Orem UT 84097

Note:You can not just walk-in and take the exam, you must register and make an appointment first.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I have been a NACHI member for years and am happy with my choice Mark.
    Scott is right.
    Go to a few meetings of ASHI,or NACHI before you determine what to do.

In the Chicago area NACHI has a great local chapter , with lots of CE classes and educational benefits.

Why do you wish to join an association ?

Get to know the guys and see who you are comfortable with.

Go from there.

I agree with the others... check out your local stuff first. You'll get way more out of it on a local level IMO.

The national associations are, unfortunately, a bit of a mess at times with lawsuits going back and forth, bickering, name calling and other childish stuff that results in no help or education to the average inspector. And it's not all national associations or all of the time but you can definitely get an idea of it by searching some old threads.

Personally, I try to keep an open mind to all of them and don't really have an axe to grind with anyone in particular. The one you mention does seem to be in the middle of most chaos, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    I agree with the others... check out your local stuff first. You'll get way more out of it on a local level IMO.

The national associations are, unfortunately, a bit of a mess at times with lawsuits going back and forth, bickering, name calling and other childish stuff that results in no help or education to the average inspector. And it's not all national associations or all of the time but you can definitely get an idea of it by searching some old threads.

Personally, I try to keep an open mind to all of them and don't really have an axe to grind with anyone in particular. The one you mention does seem to be in the middle of most chaos, however.
    Your last statement contradicts what you said.

Chaos?

All I know is NACHI has the best education in the business ,and if you know it all already you can forget any other reason to join other than to put a Logo on your website.

I credit my success in this field to being a NACHI member.

No contradtion at all.... it's a fact that I-NACHI is in the middle of most controversies. I didn't say they didn't provide good education and do other stuff. I don't really have much of an opinion about them.

Kevin Luce Guest

Like others have written, depending on what you are looking for will depend on what direction you want to go. While ASHI and InterNACHI both have their plus and minuses, it can be the local chapter that can make the difference.

I personally like the free CE classes on the internet from InterNACHI. I then can spend the money for education in areas where I can really learn a lot and not care if it meets the CE requirements. It just seems that most of the CE classes talk about are subjects we should have learned before becoming a home inspector.

Also check with an organization that teaches the city inspectors. The amount of information you will learn from those meetings and the city inspectors you meet can be a big help.

If your looking for credibility stay away from Nachi.

If you want gimmicks pick Nachi.

If you want a voice and a vote stay away from Nachi.

If you want tyrannical treatment at the hands of a disfunctional corrupt Ethics committee Nachi is the place.

If you want to be certified on line pick Nachi.

If you want to belong to an organization owned and run by a sole owner join Nachi.

Need overnite certification for mould, radon, ... just send money, your certification is in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    If your looking for credibility stay away from Nachi.

Need overnite certification for mould, radon, ... just send money, your certification is in the mail.

You forgot to add. If you want to blow a few extra bucks, and do 3 inspections this year, then you too can voted in as a "certified master something" , like this guy did.

For just a few hours on the computer, and 3 inspections, bammo he's a master inspector.

[ Quote] When one has been out of the picture for 40 years in the residential market, switching to a new career is not as easy as pumpkin pie.

How many Inspections have you done this year James?
    Hey, I am on my third one. ha. ha.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 11-19-2009 at 07:28 AM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Please note That Raymond Wand has been permanently banned from NACHI and has a history of fake names associated with internet stalking.

Dan Harris has a history of posting at the NACHI forum also.

NACHI has a Libertarian attitude in regard to its forum as much is open to the public , which fosters high SEO but also draws the nut balls.

Not here to participate in yelling at the banned .

I can attack the other association in retaliation but am not so childish.

Thanks to NACHI I have work and do not fixate on revenge from having to much time on my hands.

I would come on this forum and participate more often if not for your own local crackpots ,such as the "enraged" above posters.

Last word on this subject.....

I will be here tonight learning and meeting Past presidents of ASHI along with State Board members.

Guess they do not hate NACHI as much as the out of work guys that complain all day.

to mail
    show details Nov 10 (8 days ago)

Hello to all Illinois InterNACHI Members!
    SEATING IS FILLING UP. IF YOU PLAN ON ATTENDING, PLEASE CONTACT Dale Bennett, (847) 431-8113 OR RESERVATIONS.
    The Chicago Chapter of InterNACHI (NACHIChicago) is please to offer Evaluation of Masonry Residential Buildings CE Course worth 3 hours for Illinois and InterNACHI.
    This course will cover the methodologies for inspecting masonry (masonry structure or masonry veneer) houses and condominium buildings. This is and increasingly important topic given the recent (last 3 years) increase in problems with water intrusion problems with brick and split faced block buildings. The class will review the issues involved, the building science, the various construction techniques and how to find problems and better serve your client.

4400 Frontage Rd .
    Hillside IL 60162
    P-708-544-9300

Time: Thursday November 19, 2009 6:00 PM

Fee: InterNACHI Chicagoland Chapter Member - $35.00

InterNACHI members who are not Chicagoland Chapter Members – $50.00

Non-NACHI Members – $80.00

Last edited by Bob Elliott; 11-19-2009 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post

LOL.. Some choose to pay nick $289.00 to be childish, to attact other associations for them, and some man up and choose speak for themselves.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

That is kind of an expensive chapter meeting!
    I have heard that the Chicago INACHI chapter is a good chapter due to the caliber of folks that run it and the work that they put into it. If I lived in the Chicago area I would most likely be attending as well, but that price might make me think twice.

What are the annual dues for the Chicago INACHI chapter, if each meeting is $35 for its members?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Kevin Luce Guest

It's obvious that some do not like InterNACHI and go out of their way. The same goes with ASHI. They both have their pluses and minuses.

It's surprising how places like this can make InterNACHI and ASHI, and I'll include Realtors, sound sooo bad. Yet over the years when I've asked ASHI and InterNACHI home inspectors and Realtors to rate each other, the average number is 7. 1 being impossible and 10 being the best.

I'm just saying that what I hear here and other places like this is not what I hear or see in my part of the world.

Just about everyone who is posting have been in the profession for less than 10 years and they were not around when a similar battle ensued between NAHI and ASHI. Pretty much the same just the names have changed; it was about 8 years ago the battle started to shift to INACHI against ASHI and NAHI.

It is just such a waste of time and energy to keep doing it. The dozen or so folks with each organization seem to relish in keeping the battles in the forefront of the inspection profession. It makes little sense and has little impact on the organizations. If we were to all just concentrate on doing a good job for our clients and obtaining good continuing education no matter the source we would all be better off and the profession would benefit more than any of us could imagine.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 11-19-2009 at 08:59 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I have heard that the Chicago INACHI chapter is a good chapter due to the caliber of folks that run it and the work that they put into it. If I lived in the Chicago area I would most likely be attending as well, but that price might make me think twice.

What are the annual dues for the Chicago INACHI chapter, if each meeting is $35 for its members?
    That is a CE class Scott
    Does your State have CE classes and how much do they cost?

$35 is the cheapest you will find as most charge $125 to $200 for the same.
    I know for a fact we will have ASHI members in attendance to get the discount rate and this is a highly educationl subject that has never been explored before.
    So much foe calling NACHI a purely web based Association.
    I have been a local NACHI Chicago member for several years now with ASHI headquarters down the street.

NACHI just offers more in education and cooperation.
    Nothing against ASHI but NACHI has more life and I refuse to live in the past.

Remember this is my experience and some areas of the country you are better off with ASHI as Realtors in those areas control who gets what ,and ASHI has convinced those Brokers to only use their guys.
    ASHI is based here and runs things like the old Unions.
    In Chicago, associations are not as important as we have state licensing, which means ASHI by pushing for licensing ,has actually shot themselves in the foot.

As for myself I have never stepped foot in a Realtor s office or marketed that way.

Sure NACHI pushes us to market to the above but who says anyone needs to step in unison as we are all Independant.
    I may get a ASHI membership to go along with my NACHI membership some day. (who cares other than me).

Kevin Luce Guest

Many years ago I went to a Chicago InterNACHI meeting and ASHI meeting. They both were good meeting but were focused on the Chicago area which seemed so different than the surrounding areas (especially here in N/W Indiana which we are considered the suburb of Chicago).

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Luce View Post
    Many years ago I went to a Chicago InterNACHI meeting and ASHI meeting. They both were good meeting but were focused on the Chicago area which seemed so different than the surrounding areas (especially here in N/W Indiana which we are considered the suburb of Chicago).
    True
    That is one reason I do not even market to the suburbs.
    If I ever see Romex I will call it out as permanent use of extension cord.

Kevin Luce Guest

True
    That is one reason I do not even market to the suburbs.
    If I ever see Romex I will call it out as permanent use of extension cord.
    You do know that most of the residential houses in the United States uses Romex (I've been told).

That is a CE class Scott
    Does your State have CE classes and how much do they cost?

$35 is the cheapest you will find as most charge $125 to $200 for the same.
    I know for a fact we will have ASHI members in attendance to get the discount rate and this is a highly educationl subject that has never been explored before.
    So much foe calling NACHI a purely web based Association.
    I have been a local NACHI Chicago member for several years now with ASHI headquarters down the street.

NACHI just offers more in education and cooperation.
    Nothing against ASHI but NACHI has more life and I refuse to live in the past.

Remember this is my experience and some areas of the country you are better off with ASHI as Realtors in those areas control who gets what ,and ASHI has convinced those Brokers to only use their guys.
    ASHI is based here and runs things like the old Unions.
    In Chicago, associations are not as important as we have state licensing, which means ASHI by pushing for licensing ,has actually shot themselves in the foot.

As for myself I have never stepped foot in a Realtor s office or marketed that way.

Sure NACHI pushes us to market to the above but who says anyone needs to step in unison as we are all Independant.
    I may get a ASHI membership to go along with my NACHI membership some day. (who cares other than me).
    Yes, my chapter (ASHI Middle Tennessee) offers 3 hours of State approved CE at every meeting, it is free to the members of the chapter and $15 for non members to help offset cost for the speakers, room, etc. We also offered an all day program with 8 hours of State CE, I think it cost $25 for non members and was free for members. Our dues are $75 a year.

This year my chapter will have offered 17 hours of CE. We have a small chapter with 31 members and only 15 or so folks on the average attending each meeting so we can't do what the larger chapters do. At the last meeting we had more non affiliated inspectors than members! The key is education, if you have a good program folks will attend!

The East TN chapter is the largest in the State, they pull folks from GA, VA, NC, and TN. They put on a weekend program that is good for around 16 hours of CE.

Again this is all done on a local level, with local talent, local funding and local leadership. It has nothing to do with national association when you get down to the details. Sure it does not hurt to have a recognized national organization name but that is about all that national has to do with any chapter.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 11-19-2009 at 09:21 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Luce View Post
    You do know that most of the residential houses in the United States uses Romex (I've been told).
    Romex (NM cable) is only outlawed in Union controlled areas! Pretty much the same for PEX and CSST. I wonder why!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Yes, my chapter (ASHI Middle Tennessee) offers 3 hours of State approved CE at every meeting, it is free to the members of the chapter and $15 for non members to help offset cost for the speakers, room, etc. We also offered an all day program with 8 hours of State CE, I think it cost $25 for non members and was free for members. Our dues are $75 a year.

This year my chapter will have offered 17 hours of CE. We have a small chapter with 31 members and only 15 or so folks or the average attending each meeting so we can't do what the larger chapters do. At the last meeting we had more non affiliated inspectors than members! The key is education, if you have a good program folks will attend!

The East TN chapter is the largest in the State, they pull folks from GA, VA, NC, and TN. They put on a weekend program that is good for around 16 hours of CE.
    Yep..
    Depends on your area Scott.

There is a Web based Chicago Chapter that actually has you study on line then meet with a proxy so you can take the test for CE credits.

This is an insane low price of $25 that is unheard of around here.

Tonights meeting is a bargin due to the new subject area and need to understand all the water issues we have been seeing in the windy city.

Brick flashing is either poorly done or non existent leading to all kinds of issues.
    they replace lintels with no moisture barrier and seal the weeps or they fail to flash coping and use porous split block with no silicon treatment.
    Split block construction is now against code around here for almost a year but many were constructed with it.
    I look forward to this course.

Romex (NM cable) is only outlawed in Union controlled areas! Pretty much the same for PEX and CSST. I wonder why!
    When we remodel there is no need to tear up walls as conduit allows us to fish in the new conductors.

Conduit serves as ground around here.
    You can argue that the pipes can dis connect but I seem to always have ground so that is rare.

Cuts down on fires...
    Not as likely to have a nail driven into it.

Remember we had the Chicago Fire.

Personally seeing all that Romex stuff hanging drives me nuts. (it looks so sloppy)

Please note That Raymond Wand has been permanently banned from NACHI and has a history of fake names associated with internet stalking.

Dan Harris has a history of posting at the NACHI forum also.

NACHI has a Libertarian attitude in regard to its forum as much is open to the public , which fosters high SEO but also draws the nut balls.

Not here to participate in yelling at the banned .

Thanks to NACHI I have work and do not fixate on revenge from having to much time on my hands.

I would come on this forum and participate more often if not for your own local crackpots ,such as the "enraged" above posters.
    Bob what do individuals have to do with what I posted? Your membership in Nachi is befitting. Who the hell cares if I got kicked of Nachi. Thats old news and again shows that Nachi is not an ethical association if one is looking for credibility.

Nice try though!

Bob what do individuals have to do with what I posted? Your membership in Nachi is befitting. Who the hell cares if I got kicked of Nachi. Thats old news and again shows that Nachi is not an ethical association if one is looking for credibility.

Nice try though!
    Last reply Raymond.
    It is all about individuals in that is who makes up every association.

If you come on a public thread to discredit a public association I belong to you are attempting to discredit myself as an individual for belonging to it.
    I therefore have every right to post a disclaimer in that your comments come from your own experience in being booted out..

You need to get over it and move on.

ASHI has good members like Scott that make it worth while to join them also.

Not to make light of any others but they are not the big players.

Kevin Luce Guest

Nice try though!
    Sometimes when I get really upset about things I count backwards from 10 to 1. Other times I take deep breathes. Regarding the things that really upset me, I work out. For some reason, reading these types of threads doesn't help like the other three things do.

Bob

Unlike you I did not attack individual members as you chose to do. What I did state are the factual short comings of Nachi as a whole as a professional body.

Sure there are good and bad inspectors in every association thats a given and is certainly not what my post was about.

Wow...I guess I'll check out Creia.

Check out all of them.

Wow...I guess I'll check out Creia.
    I'm a member of ASHI but have looked in to Internachi (due to the lawsuits they are no longer to be referred to as Nachi)

To me they both have major flaws but personally ASHI seems to be the lesser of two evils.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

For the record, InterNACHI has never filed any lawsuits against ASHI or NAHI ever. We merely defended ourselves as any of you would do if attacked. Thank you all for the compliments regarding our free, online approved and accredited education for inspectors. We are very proud of our course offerings. Free inspector education and training. - InterNACHI

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 11-20-2009 at 12:37 PM.
    Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    For the record, InterNACHI has never filed any lawsuits against ASHI or NAHI ever. We merely defended ourselves as any of you would do if attacked. Thank you all for the compliments regarding our free, online approved and accredited education for inspectors. We are very proud of our course offerings. Free inspector education and training. - InterNACHI
    Thank You Lisa
    Lisa works hard at NACHI to make sure everything runs smoothly and often answers the phone when I have called there in the past.

She is one of the many individuals that make NACHI a great choice in Associations.

I get so much free stuff it makes membership a no brainer.

Lisa if you come back here I lost my Microwave tester

Thanks for the supply of free flyers and the hat that I just got last week.

The educational manuals are great (how do you guys afford all the shipping)?

Keep up the great work.

Another free microwave oven meter being shipped to you today Bob!

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Another free microwave oven meter being shipped to you today Bob!
    WoW!
    Just proves it is who you know,not what you know.
    Those NACHI testers are great.
    I always heat them up and tell my client to catch.(helps break the ice)

If you guys never saw them they look like bean bags and smell a little like popcorn.

This will make a great INACHI slogan;
    Instead of "Anything else is just looking around"
    say; With INACHI "It is who you know,not what you know."

No offence intended Bob or Lisa, I just could not resist.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

I get so much free stuff it makes membership a no brainer.
    Thanks Bob, I couldn't of demonstrated any better why NACHI attracts those that it does!

Oh and Lisa, seeing as you report to Nick and are in a correcting mood, please ensure that Nick stops reporting falsities in that it only takes 30 seconds to become a member of ASHI, its false and baseless.

David Macy Guest

I have dual membership in both INachi and Ashi.
    I find both organizations to be beneficial to me as a business.

I belong to a local ASHI chapter and enjoy meeting with my fellow inspectors on a monthly basis.

Most Realtor's in this area recommend ASHI inspectors.

I enjoy my Inachi membership and find value in the organization. The message board usual answers my questions. The education of the organization and its inspectors are second to none.

There are times when there is bickering/complaining/name calling on the board(s). That is all including this one.

I Nachi has been good to me. I plan on staying a member as well as ASHI.

I think the organizations are what you make out of them!!

Bill Boerner Guest

Thanks Bob, I couldn't of demonstrated any better why NACHI attracts those that it does!

Oh and Lisa, seeing as you report to Nick and are in a correcting mood, please ensure that Nick stops reporting falsities in that it only takes 30 seconds to become a member of ASHI, its false and baseless.
    Ray I've always truly wondered what really sets ASHI and NACHI apart when it comes to certification. In my opinion not much. What's your opinion on this?

Please understand I'm not here to argue but to learn. I love a good conversation and I really enjoy educating those around us. So let's hasch this out once and for all. I truly believe BOTH orgs are fine organizations and both have their pluses and minus. Please help me understand some things I'm about to go duel membership once I get back from the war. I'll start...

For example...

NACHI: Education, Message Board, Brothers.

Education NACHI is hands down one of the best in the country. I can't speak for other orgs I've never joined them. For $289 I get free CE's, free products, and personal service.

Message Board Hands down one of the best message boards I've EVER encountered. I have made many good friends and if I need help on site or during writing a report and I ask a question the response is almost instantaneous. My cell phone is littered with 20+ year veterns of the HI trade who I can call at any given moment and these men and women will help me with no questions asked. Ray wouldn't you agree this only is worth $289 a year? I would.

Downfall Promoting members. Nick will tell you this is not his goal atleast that's how I took it. Maybe I'm wrong regardless NACHI needs alot of work when it comes to national recognition by the public and local realtors.

ASHI Promotion

Now like I said this is where I need help. What does ASHI have to offer other than promotion? I really don't know because I've never joined them yet. When it comes to promotion I give ASHI a true A+. In the St. Louis area many realtors simply think that you must be ASHI in order to do business with them. I applaud ASHI for such a great push when it comes to promoting their members. I did a realtor show about two months ago and I have to say the response to NACHI was alarming. Hardly no one knew about this great organization. ASHI was all over their face and printed on their backs. They knew exactly who ASHI is and that's why...

I have personally chosen to become a duel member once I return from the war.

Now with all that aside lets discuss membership.

It's been long noted that NACHI and ASHI have difference views over entrance requirements. I'm here to tell you both fail when it comes to allowing new members into their organization. In my opinion. No one should become certified until...

A. A new canadite finishes a certified training school.

B. A new canadite finishes on site training with another certified HI for atleast six months.

C. A new canadite must take a national recognized exam and pass it with alteast a 80 or better.

D. A new canadite must sit through multiple visual HI training videos. NACHI provides some of the best in the business.

E. A new canadite must submit mock reports once a month with complete pictures during their initial on site training on thier own home, friends, or families.

F. Once all this is accomplished only then should a "apprentice" seal be issued by any organization. Only after completing 250 paid inspections should any apprentice be awarded a craftsman full member seal.

Whats your thoughts? I know ASHI works in this way however the problem is I can gain a "apprentice seal" from ASHI and start doing inspections by simply filling out a form and sending in a check. Am I wrong? If so please correct me. Thank you sir.

Hi Bill,

Okay, that’s a fine list, but in my opinion and based on personal experience having been a member of more than one association in my inspection career and particularly with relation to Nachi I will only tell you what bothers me about Nachi as I have before.

There are no bylaws for members to observe

There are therefore no voting rights bestowed on members.

You are not entitled to an accounting of the financial situation of the organization.

The workings of the so-called Ethics and Standards of Practice are shameful and concerning and not up to snuff or for a body which wishes to be seen as professional. This leads me to ask if the Nachi Ethics Committee cannot set a professional standard, have a policy manual and bylaws to draw their power from how can it deal with the public in a befitting manner?

There is much evidence from others and myself that free memberships are given out without question, memberships revoked without cause, lifetime memberships given and/or paid for terminated without cause. Further there is the lingering overly trouble issues with Nachi handling internal and external ethics and conflicts of interest matters. Abuse of rules, which do exist, and certain relaxation of those rules to some while others are not so privileged. This is not befitting a body again which wishes to be seen as professional.

As to the education, I have never questioned the quality of Nachi and would go so far as to state that I have in the past commented positively about it. Needless to say and no argument from me this is were Nachi has an edge.

Again first hand experience only, I have found the manner in which the whole organization and business practices of Nachi are lacking and clearly the unaccountability is there for one reason of which I will leave that to your imagination.

The most unsettling and mysterious involvement of Nick and his inner party as to the going on's are clearly dubious and conflicting, marketers, vendors, and friends....

At the end of the day, given what I know the question I ask myself is why would anyone knowingly involve themselves and their professional image with the antics of a organization that in reality is in business solely to market it products on inspectors who feel that trinkets and giveaways and easy certification are an image of professional qualities?

As to education I firmly believe that education should rest with colleges and associations should stay out of education as it becomes an opportunity for making money on the backs of inspectors and is sometimes questionable as to the content and presentation.

As you can see my influences and opinions centre on sound financial accountability, rights to vote, fairness and professionalism. Nachi cannot exist as a professional entity without those systems in place.

Any way Bill I read your posts on Nachi from time to time and must tell you that you are thoughtful and reasonable and knowledgeable.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    This will make a great INACHI slogan;
    Instead of "Anything else is just looking around"
    say; With INACHI "It is who you know,not what you know."

No offence intended Bob or Lisa, I just could not resist.
    He he!
    Rick if you are not a member , I know more than you thanks to our great educational system.

Sorry ,but you opened it up.

Reply to Ray..
    Ray if Nick is getting rich and paying for my goodies with advertising that is what capitalism is all about.(who cares)
    OH yeah..you live in Canada. (never mind)

For the record, InterNACHI has never filed any lawsuits against ASHI or NAHI ever. We merely defended ourselves as any of you would do if attacked. Thank you all for the compliments regarding our free, online approved and accredited education for inspectors. We are very proud of our course offerings.
    Nope, NACHI was sued by NAHI, thus the name change.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Nope, NACHI was sued by NAHI, thus the name change.
    Oh yeah
    I forgot about that org and the dozen or so members they have left.

Didn't they desperately try to merge with ASHI or something.?

Mark Nahrgang Guest

Hmm. I guess you are right. It does takes a little longer than that to fill out the form and write a check. But if you use a credit card and fax in the registration I bet you could easily get it done in five minutes or less.

Ray we don't know each other and I've no interest in getting into a pissing match with you, but this is the main reason why I chose to join InterNACHI over ASHI. ASHI had no initial requirements (other than I could not be a REALTOR) to join. Fill out a form, write a check, send it, bada bing, bada boom...you're ASHI. (Granted, not a full member, but still ASHI all the same.) InterNACHI had a few more entrance requirements than that, which in my opinion, made the membership more meaningful.

Bill Boerner Guest

Hi Bill,

Okay, that’s a fine list, but in my opinion and based on personal experience having been a member of more than one association in my inspection career and particularly with relation to Nachi I will only tell you what bothers me about Nachi as I have before.

You are not entitled to an accounting of the financial situation of the organization.

The workings of the so-called Ethics and Standards of Practice are shameful and concerning and not up to snuff or for a body which wishes to be seen as professional. This leads me to ask if the Nachi Ethics Committee cannot set a professional standard, have a policy manual and bylaws to draw their power from how can it deal with the public in a befitting manner?

There is much evidence from others and myself that free memberships are given out without question, memberships revoked without cause, lifetime memberships given and/or paid for terminated without cause. Further there is the lingering overly trouble issues with Nachi handling internal and external ethics and conflicts of interest matters. Abuse of rules, which do exist, and certain relaxation of those rules to some while others are not so privileged. This is not befitting a body again which wishes to be seen as professional.

As to the education, I have never questioned the quality of Nachi and would go so far as to state that I have in the past commented positively about it. Needless to say and no argument from me this is were Nachi has an edge.

Again first hand experience only, I have found the manner in which the whole organization and business practices of Nachi are lacking and clearly the unaccountability is there for one reason of which I will leave that to your imagination.

The most unsettling and mysterious involvement of Nick and his inner party as to the going on's are clearly dubious and conflicting, marketers, vendors, and friends....

At the end of the day, given what I know the question I ask myself is why would anyone knowingly involve themselves and their professional image with the antics of a organization that in reality is in business solely to market it products on inspectors who feel that trinkets and giveaways and easy certification are an image of professional qualities?

As to education I firmly believe that education should rest with colleges and associations should stay out of education as it becomes an opportunity for making money on the backs of inspectors and is sometimes questionable as to the content and presentation.

As you can see my influences and opinions centre on sound financial accountability, rights to vote, fairness and professionalism. Nachi cannot exist as a professional entity without those systems in place.

Any way Bill I read your posts on Nachi from time to time and must tell you that you are thoughtful and reasonable and knowledgeable.

Cheers,
    Thanks Ray I appreciate it. I have to agree on some key points you brought up....

-- True

-- Agreed

-- I agree however I don't see why I would need to know.

-- Personally I've never really seen them at work in a meeting however I would love to be part of it, and attempted to do so, however it appears as if only certain people are considered for this role and for the amount of power the committee has it concerns me that the popular vote of our members is not considered for this board.

Lisa would you care to comment on any of this? Ray has some valid points here.

Bill Boerner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Nahrgang View Post
    Hmm. I guess you are right. It does takes a little longer than that to fill out the form and write a check. But if you use a credit card and fax in the registration I bet you could easily get it done in five minutes or less.

Ray we don't know each other and I've no interest in getting into a pissing match with you, but this is the main reason why I chose to join InterNACHI over ASHI. ASHI had no initial requirements (other than I could not be a REALTOR) to join. Fill out a form, write a check, send it, bada bing, bada boom...you're ASHI. (Granted, not a full member, but still ASHI all the same.) InterNACHI had a few more entrance requirements than that, which in my opinion, made the membership more meaningful.
    Ray my original post was aimed at learning more about ASHI and what they have to offer. Can you answer Marks concern. Now I have to agree Nick makes a fine point when he says ASHI is no more than a paper mill. He's referring to when a person first joins. From how I understand it you can simply sign up, pay money and get an "apprentice seal" stating your a inspector in training. With NACHI I can attest you must pass a test which wasn't that easy, and do other requirements before they released their seal to you. Did you know as well NACHI requires one to have 100 inspections under their belt before joining? If I remember correctly. So with that said NACHI requires proof of inspections, a passed test, and several other online training requirements before allowing you to display a certified seal. Still not near what I feel they should require however ASHI appears to give a training seal to those who never done a inspection in their life and simply sends them on their way and states come back when you have 250 under your belt for the craftsman seal. See the difference or am I missing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Boerner View Post
    Ray my original post was aimed at learning more about ASHI and what they have to offer. Can you answer Marks concern. Now I have to agree Nick makes a fine point when he says ASHI is no more than a paper mill. He's referring to when a person first joins. From how I understand it you can simply sign up, pay money and get an "apprentice seal" stating your a inspector in training. With NACHI I can attest you must pass a test which wasn't that easy, and do other requirements before they released their seal to you. Did you know as well NACHI requires one to have 100 inspections under their belt before joining? If I remember correctly. So with that said NACHI requires proof of inspections, a passed test, and several other online training requirements before allowing you to display a certified seal. Still not near what I feel they should require however ASHI appears to give a training seal to those who never done a inspection in their life and simply sends them on their way and states come back when you have 250 under your belt for the craftsman seal. See the difference or am I missing it?

See the difference or am I missing it?

Dang.. Ole Nicko sure does a good job on brain washing his newbys.
    Trust me, YOU are missing it.

1st fact, ASHI DOES NOT market it's members as "Certified Inspectors" to the public until that inspector passed a proctored exam, provided proof of completing 250 inspections, had their inspection report reviewed by an other inspector and more.

All one has to do is go to nickos board and see questions asked by his new certified inspectors.
    Anyone that's completed a basic HI training course, completed a few inspections, will immediately see that nicko's online joke quiz, that he calls an exam , and any other requirements for his non-verified certificiation, is a joke.

Quote" Did you know as well NACHI requires one to have 100 inspections under their belt before joining?

Huuh. Maybe you should start reading your own site, 90% of the newby "Certified Inspectors" openly state, on your BB they haven't done an inspection.

www.inspectaz.com

Thanks Ray I appreciate it. I have to agree on some key points you brought up....

-- True

-- Agreed

-- I agree however I don't see why I would need to know.

-- Personally I've never really seen them at work in a meeting however I would love to be part of it, and attempted to do so, however it appears as if only certain people are considered for this role and for the amount of power the committee has it concerns me that the popular vote of our members is not considered for this board.

Lisa would you care to comment on any of this? Ray has some valid points here.
    Why would an owner of a priviatly owned home inspector chat board, provide a fourm for a Hi association for them to resolve their lack of ethic's ,and other business problems?

www.inspectaz.com

Did you know as well NACHI requires one to have 100 inspections under their belt before joining? If I remember correctly. So with that said NACHI requires proof of inspections, a passed test, and several other online training requirements before allowing you to display a certified seal. Still not near what I feel they should require however ASHI appears to give a training seal to those who never done a inspection in their life and simply sends them on their way and states come back when you have 250 under your belt for the craftsman seal. See the difference or am I missing it?
    Bill, I have no knowledge of ASHI, except that the org Iam in, CAHPI, adopted the ASHI SOP way back when. I'll tell you my experience with NACHI. I passed the online test, no study, and paid the $289 fee. I was instantly adopted, and given the rights to view the training stuff, some of which is excellent. I was never prompted to submit proofs of anything after that, I was a full fledged inspector on the list with a logo, no experience, no inspections done. Maybe there was a glitch there?

If NACHI held supervised exams that were real tests of knowledge, they may have been recognized as a valid org in BC Canada when licensing came in this spring. Instead, BC NACHI inspectors had to go scrambling to join the other orgs so they could prove they were qualified. That may not happen anywhere else, but that's what happened here. Those guys got left hanging because Nick would not hold proctored exams for them.

Bill Boerner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    See the difference or am I missing it?

Dang.. Ole Nicko sure does a good job on brain washing his newbys.
    Trust me, YOU are missing it.

1st fact, ASHI DOES NOT market it's members as "Certified Inspectors" to the public until that inspector passed a proctored exam, provided proof of completing 250 inspections, had their inspection report reviewed by an other inspector and more.

All one has to do is go to nickos board and see questions asked by his new certified inspectors.
    Anyone that's completed a basic HI training course, completed a few inspections, will immediately see that nicko's online joke quiz, that he calls an exam , and any other requirements for his non-verified certificiation, is a joke.

Quote" Did you know as well NACHI requires one to have 100 inspections under their belt before joining?

Huuh. Maybe you should start reading your own site, 90% of the newby "Certified Inspectors" openly state, on your BB they haven't done an inspection.
    Newbie That's ok you don't understand who your talking to yet. Trust me I can talk. Dan not getting into spitting debate with you however I will get into a one on one adult debate with you if you care to join me. I'm sure your a fine inspector.

You made some good points. Yes I agree and I wrote it on here already ASHI does not certify a member until the requirements you posted is present. Problem is....

ASHI gives out a trainee badge for simply signing up and paying the due thus allowing a member to go out and do a inspection WITHOUT any formal training at all. With NACHI atleast you must show some compentence to pass a online test granted not proctored and you must square away many other training requirements Online as well before Nick gives out his seal. The 100 inspections is a hand shake type of deal with you the new guy signs a letter stating you did 100 inspections. That needs to go away I agree.

Before we go let's debate this first.

Next question is how does ASHI prove that one did 250 inspections? What's the process? I'm not bashing ASHI. I'm going to join and I would like to know how it works. I already know how NACHI works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Bill, I have no knowledge of ASHI, except that the org Iam in, CAHPI, adopted the ASHI SOP way back when. I'll tell you my experience with NACHI. I passed the online test, no study, and paid the $289 fee. I was instantly adopted, and given the rights to view the training stuff, some of which is excellent. I was never prompted to submit proofs of anything after that, I was a full fledged inspector on the list with a logo, no experience, no inspections done. Maybe there was a glitch there?
    I, and thousands of others can vouch, There was no glitch

www.inspectaz.com

Before we go let's debate this first.

Next question is how does ASHI prove that one did 250 inspections? What's the process? I'm not bashing ASHI. I'm going to join and I would like to know how it works. .
    American Society of Home Inspectors, ASHI

www.inspectaz.com

Bill Boerner Guest

I, and thousands of others can vouch, There was no glitch
    And again you still had to show some competence and I agree one should not become a full fledge inspector like the next guy however ASHI doesn't take any effort to do anything with a new guy. My point is NO badge regardless if its full fledge or an associate until one passes test, on site training, video training and other like I posted above. Both ASHI and NACHI should enforce higher standards. Do you guys see my point now?

PS. The associates badge with ASHI is confused alot with a full member in the publics eye. It needs to read trainee. One must not be forced to come to ASHI website in order to understand what the associates badge means.

Bill Boerner Guest

I understand they request 5 reports however do they make you send in all 250 and pick 5 from it? Thats my question.

I understand they request 5 reports however do they make you send in all 250 and pick 5 from it? Thats my question.
    Eight years ago when I joined they required a list of completed inspections, then picked 5 names from the list to send them for review.
    Today I'm not sure.

www.inspectaz.com

[QUOTE=Bill Boerner;109597]
    Both ASHI and NACHI should enforce higher standards. Do you guys see my point now?

QUOTE]
    Why enforce higher standards when many states don't have min standards, and one does not have to belong to a HI org to be an inspector?

www.inspectaz.com

PS. The associates badge with ASHI is confused alot with a full member in the publics eye. It needs to read trainee.
    NACHO's should read, this "Certified Inspector" or possibly someone else took it for him, a kindergarden on-line quiz, and promised to do other non-verfied things

www.inspectaz.com

If I remember correctly I had to send them a list of the 250 inspections then they picked some, maybe 5 or 10 to review. I had either 24 or 48 hours to send them the ones they picked.

ASHI is the only HI association with independant 3rd party certification.
    It seems to be more difficult to become a certified inspector through ASHI. Some of this is due to ASHI not providing much for online learning or holding the prospects hand to get certification. But, then again, why should they? If you want to become a truely Certified Inspector you should have to work for it. A truely Certified Inspector shouldn't be able to sit in front of a computer and magically become a Certified Home Inspector.

ASHI has between 3,000 and 4,000 Certified Home Inspectors but has been around over 20 years longer than NACHI. NACHI has around 9,000 from what I understand. Which one do you think is easier to attain? Which one do you think is a "paper mill"? NACHI was born during the housing boom by an ex real estate agent who still runs the company. ASHI is not owned by any individual or group. Hezz, it doesn't seem NACHI is even recognized as a national HI organization in the state of Pennsylvania. All due to it's owner refusing to proctor its exams.

"Some of this is due to ASHI not providing much for online learning or holding the prospects hand to get certification. But, then again, why should they?"

UH!
    Guess that sounds like someplace I want to waste money on.
    Guess that's why all, the ASHI guys come to NACHI to learn.

Guess that's why several of the non -NACHI guys posting this thread are former heavy visitors to our forum.

Guess that is why our message board has more life than all the others combined as the old timers at the other associations refuse to help others.

We could require as many Inspections in the universe and find they are all wrong and poorly reported.
    The market decides for us who knows what they are doing.

Kevin Luce Guest

[quote=Dan Harris;109603]
    Both ASHI and NACHI should enforce higher standards. Do you guys see my point now?

QUOTE]
    Why enforce higher standards when many states don't have min standards, and one does not have to belong to a HI org to be an inspector?
    What? Maybe ASHI, NAHI, InterNACHI and everyone else should so the public knows the person they are hiring is knowledgeable. The certification doesn't prove anything besides that person has the basic knowledge. Yes, I know you can't go in that direction because the membership would drop and ASHI, InterNACHI and all the other org. wouldn't have as much money to make that org look good.

There is a home inspector that has been an ASHI associate member for years. He doesn't see any value in becoming an ASHI Certified Inspector. I asked him why once and he informed me that people ask him if he is a member of ASHI and he replies yes. People don't know the difference between associate and certified. All they hear is member.

ASHI and NAHI went at each other at one time. Now it ASHI and NACHI. If ASHI didn't have NACHI, I think ASHI would go after somebody else. At least around here, ASHI is the bully on the block. I don't know if it's because many of the ASHI members around here were union workers and they brought that attitude with them.

The biggest difference between ASHI and NACHI. ASHI wants to effect (in a negative way) the ability for me to feed my family while NACHI doesn't. While this might offend some ASHI member, it's a true statement and I don't have to prove Sh*t to anyone.

While Nick is a lot of things and NACHI has it's problems, I would pick InterNACHI over ASHI any day. Hell, if InterNACHI didn't have the CE classes for free, I wouldn't join either org because of their low requirements.

I can see why most home inspectors don't talk on these things and don't belong to an organization if they don't have to. For now, I'm just going to do one of the two.

Have a good life all.

"Some of this is due to ASHI not providing much for online learning or holding the prospects hand to get certification. But, then again, why should they?"

UH!
    Guess that sounds like someplace I want to waste money on.
    Guess that's why all, the ASHI guys come to NACHI to learn.

Guess that's why several of the non -NACHI guys posting this thread are former heavy visitors to our forum.

Guess that is why our message board has more life than all the others combined as the old timers at the other associations refuse to help others.

We could require as many Inspections in the universe and find they are all wrong and poorly reported.
    The market decides for us who knows what they are doing.
    When you quoted me you forgot to include the following sentence.
    "If you want to become a truely Certified Inspector you should have to work for it."

Too many people want things given to them for free and with little work. For those people NACHI is the right association.

[quote=Kevin Luce;109628]
    The biggest difference between ASHI and NACHI. ASHI wants to effect (in a negative way) the ability for me to feed my family while NACHI doesn't. While this might offend some ASHI member, it's a true statement and I don't have to prove Sh*t to anyone.
    You don't have to prove it to me, but I'd sure like to know exactly how ASHI affect the ability for you to feed your family. I've been a full ASHI member for 7 years and have received numerous leads directly from their web site. Enough to at least cover my dues and continuing education every year.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast