Default Your thoughts on this service equipment panel.

What are your observations of this panel?

Thank you for your input!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Your thoughts on this service equipment panel.

That lightning/surge arrestor should be on the outside, for one.
    What are your concerns?

Anthony Alderman Guest

double tap on the 40 amp breakers lower right

The small wires on the 40 amp breaker appears to be burnt. What is the gauge of these wires? Is that a splice by the 220 outlet on the side of the panel? If so it should be inside a junction box.

Total cluster F***, have an compentent electrician fix it. Double taps, surge protector, dryer outlet to the right of the box...

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Total cluster F***, have an competent electrician fix it. Double taps, surge protector, dryer outlet to the right of the box...
    Multitude of issues ... including those above and listed by others ... and those are just starters.

Chris,

List what you see, we can add to the list if needed, ...

... then (when you write it up) list everything found and add 'have a licensed and competent electrical contractor correct all items listed, any other items found, and any other items created during the correction of the items'.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

In regards to the arrestor double tap on the 40 amp breaker, it is a common practice & I have never seen them installed on the outside of the panel. (By no means am I saying it correct...just that i've never seen it different down here) The panel backs up to an outside storage unit which contains the oven from the kitchen! They had a cooktop and installed a microwave where the oven once was. The splice you see is telephone wires. I wrote it up for further review by a licensed electrician for multiple conditions including the double tap, several branch wiring conditions, and that the electrical system in general should be upgraded to current standards (i.e. 60 amp service & sub panel installed in the hall closet.) The home was built in 1969. My thanks to you all as electrical is my weakest area.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stichter View Post
    In regards to the arrestor double tap on the 40 amp breaker, it is a common practice & I have never seen them installed on the outside of the panel. (By no means am I saying it correct...just that i've never seen it different down here)
    That's item #1 which needs to be written up.

for multiple conditions including the double tap,
    That's #2

several branch wiring conditions,
    That's #3

#4 - Then there is the 240 circuit from the center right breaker, if it is *only* 240 volts, then the neutral/ground can be as shown, if 120 volt / 240 volt, then the neutral needs to be insulated, not just covered.

#5 - The open THWN (or whatever type it is) to the dryer outlet either needs to be in a raceway or needs to be NM cable.

#6 - That can't be the service equipment (more than six breakers can be put in there), yet the ground conductor is connected to the neutral terminal bar.

#7 - Grounds and neutrals interconnected on same terminal bar and not service equipment - see #6.

#8 - If that is service equipment, it is not allowed as it has too many breaker openings - see #6.

#9 - Where does that ground from the cable on the center right 240 volt breaker go? An improper terminal to the enclosure?

#10 - Cable supplying bottom right breaker - see #4.

That should do for starters, then tell them to 'have a licensed and competent electrical contractor correct all items listed, any other items found and not listed, and any other items created during the correction of the items'.

Don't just leave it up to the electrician "for further evaluation", you may get the same guy back in who did that mess. Then what good did you do for your client? I know, you were trying to 'cover your backside' , but what about the backside of your client?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Jerry

Randy Clayton Guest

Smile Re: Your thoughts on this service equipment panel.

Omy I can not belive I agree with Jerry