Default Gotta New Truck/van

I saw this and had to have it...It's called a Transit, by Ford. Pretty cool little truck thing. 20MPG, lots of room inside.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Marc M; 01-18-2010 at 09:04 PM.
    Member Benefits1

Talking Re: Gotta New Truck/van

I looked at one of those a couple months ago. Ford was going to start making them in the U.S. in a 6 cylinder, automatic. Is that what you got? They make a contractor version, I believe, that can charge your power tools and some with a tracking device so you can keep tabs on your loyal employees as they unwind while on the clock.

Michael Carson
    Inspect It Right Home Inspections L.L.C.
    www.inspectitrighthomeinspection.com

Default Re: Gotta New Truck/van

The wife and I visited Ireland a few years ago. Lots of service vehicles look like that. Very small but looks like they could do the job. I don't know who made them.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    The wife and I visited Ireland a few years ago. Lots of service vehicles look like that. Very small but looks like they could do the job. I don't know who made them.

I was gonna say, it looks European.

I like the Ford Flex look. Kinda chopped like.

Ted Menelly Guest

Only 4 cylinders right now. They have been at the car show. They sell everywhere no but eh 4 cyl just did not cut it for me for the weight of the vehicle.

Trany was kind of funky. If the put the ford 3 or 4 litre in it it will be a decent vehicle

Just my opinion. I like good gas mileage but not a lack of power

I just bought a new ranger sport extended cab with a 4 litre.

A lot of room to stretch out and carry the goods I need. Lousy on gas so far but a hot rod with the 4 litre. Again I need something with a little go in it.

I love what you did to it with the graphics. That is why I was going to buy it. My old ranger with the 3 litre got about 20 to 22 but was not big enough.

I have the 4 cyl and it's a total dog. It does have some pretty cool tool boxes and stuff. I had a PU for years but I collect a lot of stuff for this trade so this works perfect. Plus all the the real estate on the sides for the signage. I have the thing for the charging of the tools but not the time keeper. Not to digress, but check this out for time keeping... The JobClock System offers detailed timekeeping as it happens with 100% accuracy.
    My brother and I used these for our construction company. Super cool stuff. Anyhow, the van makes a nice presence.

Reminds me of the Pope mobile.

rick

I feel like inspector clouseau

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I need something with a little go in it.
    I remember saying that, before I retired the 350 with the 4 barrel. I had to learn to get speed up before passing with the little Chevy 305 (5 litre). Now, it's a Tacoma with the 4-banger, 2.4 litre. I leave home a bit earlier, and burn less than half the gas. Life in the slow lane.

Nice truck, Marc! Eye-catching, will probably get you some biz!

Charles Meredith Guest

Smile Re: Gotta New Truck/van

I've been running a 1996 Ranger since new for my inspections. Across the bed toolbox for small stuff and folding ladders in bed. Mine gets right at 26 mpg and very happy with that.

It's nice to have the enclosed area for the tools. One thing I hate is getting my tools wet when it rains. Also, I go to some pretty bad areas and once had my tool boxes broken into and even the entire truck stolen while on an inspection. At the very least, it will be difficult to get to my IR and other expensive toys.

I went with an Outback. Had limo tint on the rear windows and after these pics have company logo and phone put on rear quarter windows.

I looked at the Flex (too expensive) Honda Element (ugly and slow) Chevy HR (quality issues) Pt Cruiser (quality and slow) and came back to my wife's car the Outback 3.0. I found that I could fit my Little Giant in the rear and was pretty quick even with the 2.5 liter. I could also get the Limited version for about $20K. This car gets 26mpg which is about twice what my Expedition gets.

Funny thing - clients are always asking how are you going to get up on the roof... They can't tell I have two ladders in the back; an Xtend and Climb and a 17ft Little Giant.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Heres a pic of the rear. The bumper sticker is a must.
    Dont start bagging on my ladder, crappy flashlight or my ski ploe used for checking smoke detectors

Last edited by Marc M; 01-18-2010 at 09:04 PM.

I saw one of the Ford transit last week in traffic and thought. 'that would be a good inspection vehicle'. I'm hoping to upgrade next year and will look into one. For some reason I really like the Honda Ridgeline. I don't usually go for that sort of vehicle.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bunzel View Post
    Chevy HR (quality issues)
    Rick. I'm curious, about the [quailty issues] with the HHR.
    I've had mine for almost 3 yrs, 80,000 miles, haven't had any problems yet.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Cute things, but not for me. My 2000 Grand Caravan finally bit the dust on Thursday after 153,400 miles. Harmonic balancer and water pump caved at the same time - $900 was too much. Went right down and traded for a 2008 Town and Country with 45K miles for $12K for another 100K miles of inspections.

But hey, I could've bought a mid-range IR camera. Damn! What was I thinking?

I just seen an ad for that truck. One thing it does is catch your eye.

Myself I use a Volvo V70R AWD..... great for the snowy months...... put the ladders on the roof with the bars.....great inspection vehicle

Thinking of a TRansit or maybe a HHR Panel myself

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Still use the same 97 Toyota T100 with a shell. Paid for for 10 years, thats the best part.
    I could get something with better mileage, but don't want a payment.
    I could get something with more room, but don't want a payment.
    I may buy a used Scion and convert the T100 to the mulch truck and sell my 94 Toyota mulch truck. But that payment thing slows me down a bunch.
    My T100 will probably only last another couple hundred thousand miles, so I do have some time to think about it.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Still use the same 97 Toyota T100 with a shell. Paid for for 10 years, thats the best part.
    I could get something with better mileage, but don't want a payment.
    I could get something with more room, but don't want a payment.
    I may buy a used Scion and convert the T100 to the mulch truck and sell my 94 Toyota mulch truck. But that payment thing slows me down a bunch.
    My T100 will probably only last another couple hundred thousand miles, so I do have some time to think about it.
    The payment thing is a killer. I did not have a vehicle payment for 3 years. As far as the used car buyers and a payment thing I would be inclined (always have) that if I am paying for a vehicle it is going to be new to start and get more years out of it. 7 years in one vehicle is enough for me. The bordem gets to you and you miss that new vehicle smell for many many years. I know everyone is so conscious of gas mileage but some where there has to be that "If I am going to have a payment on a vehicle it is going to please the sences in many ways. An extra 20 for gas in a week for a simple pleasure is worth it. Cut down on the starbucks coffee and goodie in the morning and make your coffee at home and save 25 bucks and pay the extra 20 on gas and still stop on occassion for your coffe and goodie.

I am sure you Toyota folks like them for the turn the key and go thing for countless miles. I, not all agree, have never had a problem with all the fords I have owned in the past and own now. Turn the key and go for a couple hundred thou before a big ticket item might hit. Some mobil one oil and mobil one filter keeps the engine new forever and servicing the transmission at the very least at the designated suggested miles along with the engine mobil one keeps the car rolling forever.

The ride on the newer Ranger sport extended cabs is solid and comfortable. The 4 litre has way more than enough power. (almost as much as the old 2+2 289 mustangs years ago). 5 speed automatic, smooth as can be. The extended cab gives all the room you need for computer and other goodies and the 6 foot bed fits my Gorilla ladder and extend and climb that gets me on almost all roofs that I would get on anyway. The serious radio keeps me amused with about anything I want to listen to. And there is always that 4 wheel disc vented anti lock breaks for great stopping with traction control and then there is the almost 6,000 pound towing for a decent size boat. And of course the tire pressure monitoring and and and and. Can't beat it dollar for dollar.

Yes, mileage s**ks but you have to take some bad with the good I guess. There is that starbuck coffee thing that I can do with out.

A.D. ????????????????????? A mini van ?????????????????????

Ted,
    I have had both Fords and Chevy's over the years (used to drag race with a bunch of small blocks), with a Mazda in there for a while.
    My Chevy's were all pre-70's so a totally different animal. I did have problems with my Explorers I owned (2), but nothing huge, that wasn't taken care of under warranty.
    BUt I have had consistently excellent life with Toyota products and own 4 right now. The other big plus is I have a great relationship with my independent Toyota mechanic, and he's on Tradebank, so economically its makes better sense business wise.
    That Ford really looks cool though.

Ted are you sure that Ranger you drive is not a Mazda?

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Ted are you sure that Ranger you drive is not a Mazda?
    Ahmmm, no. The mazda is kind of a ford.

I think they stopped production of the B series Mazdas.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    I think they stopped production of the B series Mazdas.
    2010 models are available in my part of the world. Not sure where they build them. We want to buy local when we can, eh? They're the poor man's Ford, right, Ted?

Both my last trucks were Mazdas, good truck. Yea, my dealer said no more trucks. Maybe its a california thing. you know how weird everything is here.

Ted Menelly Guest

2010 models are available in my part of the world. Not sure where they build them. We want to buy local when we can, eh? They're the poor man's Ford, right, Ted?
    probably pretty much the same truck minus a few goodies. I have no idea if they are still making the Mazda's in the ford plants anymore. They would run their quota of rangers and then run the mazdas. A little different body panels, not much and of course the interior goodies were slightly different. Not sure about breaks and drive train.

I bought the 2010 sport extended model. Pretty much all the goodies without the 4 wheel drive. This is the third Ranger. Bigger ford pick ups and vans before that. Mustangs, Older T-Birds, Fairlanes, Torinos. Of course any older muscle car of most manufacturers did not escape my grasp at one time or another.

Funny how things work out.

I had never seen one of those Ford thingies before Friday. I went and did an FHA inspection in an area I don't normally travel and I saw 4 of them driving around. Then passed a dealership with them on the front lot.

It didn't occur to me to use them for inspection though.

B

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Denny L West Guest

Thumbs up Re: Gotta New Truck/van

Like the looks but like mine better I have a 2007 chevy HHR ( Not the Panel ) have my logo and lettering all over it ,. the seats fold down ladder fits inside along with the gear . 26 to 30 miles per gal. ( When I am easy on the gas ) I will try to post a photo . catch people reading it all the time I have a business card holder on the both rear door glass . people are always taking cards . its a good way to advertise . local company printed my design and I installed .

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Denny L West View Post
    Like the looks but like mine better I have a 2007 chevy HHR ( Not the Panel ) have my logo and lettering all over it ,. the seats fold down ladder fits inside along with the gear . 26 to 30 miles per gal. ( When I am easy on the gas ) I will try to post a photo . catch people reading it all the time I have a business card holder on the both rear door glass . people are always taking cards . its a good way to advertise . local company printed my design and I installed .
    I cannot make out the card holders that well. Do you have some kind of lid to open them ?

Denny L West Guest

Yes they open from the top .They have never blown off or even come open while driving . cant remamber where i got them went On line . enterd bussiness card holders for automobiles .

OK. I like the Outback, my wife just got one, and that'll be our 4X4 for the 2 snowy days/year.

The Transit is eye-catching, but loses on wind resistance at high speed highway driving, I think. The HHR gets better mileage I'm guessing due to the lower profile. I wish they could have called it something else. It's a sedan delivery, why not Chevy SD?

How about sticking card holders on all the realtor's cars?

Card holders are a great idea, but have you noticed how they disappear, but the phones still not ringing?

If I can't find another 4 cylinder Tacoma, my next vehicle will probably be a Ranger/Mazda. I gotta have the ladder rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I cannot make out the card holders that well. Do you have some kind of lid to open them ?
    I have two of these on my vehicle.
    Card Caddie - Vehicle Business Card Holder

Nice looking truck Marc
    Very professional looking. It will add that little extra bit of confidence to your customers. Most folks will see a contractor,( plumber, inspector, electrician,etc )in a well lettered truck that is clean and automatically think they are professional. I know in my area contractors in unmarked trucks or operating out of cars are thought of as "trunk slammers" ie; nonprofessionals or hacks.
    No offense to anyone here who operates in cars or unmarked vehicles, just making a comment based on my part of the universe

Guys with clean trucks as such make me wonder if they ever get out of the driveway.

Marc, You need to toss a few Mickey D's cups or something in the rear bed if your going to look serious now.

Ski pole? I have had one of those fiberglass rods they sell for driveway markers for years. Guess I need to upgrade.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ken horak View Post
    Nice looking truck Marc
    Very professional looking. It will add that little extra bit of confidence to your customers. Most folks will see a contractor,( plumber, inspector, electrician,etc )in a well lettered truck that is clean and automatically think they are professional. I know in my area contractors in unmarked trucks or operating out of cars are thought of as "trunk slammers" ie; nonprofessionals or hacks.
    No offense to anyone here who operates in cars or unmarked vehicles, just making a comment based on my part of the universe
    It is hell thinking about putting all those nasty stickers all over my new truck. I guess it has to happen sooner or later.

Can't drive 85 with all that stuff all over your truck.

Just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Ski pole? I have had one of those fiberglass rods they sell for driveway markers for years. Guess I need to upgrade.

rick
    I use a telescoping paint roller pole. I can reach a 12' ceiling without a ladder and collapse it down to 3' so I don't knock stuff over while going through he house. I also keep come feathers tied on the end to satisfy my curiosity about air flow from vents without dragging the ladder around. I have found several vents that have never been connected to the ducts using my "high tech" testing device

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Guys with clean trucks as such make me wonder if they ever get out of the driveway.

Marc, You need to toss a few Mickey D's cups or something in the rear bed if your going to look serious now.

rick
    You at least took off the reflector...right?

Quote Originally Posted by ken horak View Post
    Nice looking truck Marc
    Thanks gentlemen, for the compliments. I'm trying to seperate myself apart from the other guys out here.

rick
    My truck is filthy; thank goodness it's white.

A month and half ago, I told my kid he could earn some cash by washing/vacuuming it...I'm still waiting. I think he's independently wealthy.

I wash my truck sometimes 3 times a week, sponge, bucket, hose.
    Attention to detail is NB, IMO. People see you around town, they might not notice clean, but they will see dirty.
    Dirty people are careless people.

I wash my truck sometimes 3 times a week, sponge, bucket, hose.
    Attention to detail is NB, IMO. People see you around town, they might not notice clean, but they will see dirty.
    Dirty people are careless people.
    That would be your opinion instead of fact.

I am clean; however, during this time of the year my truck is not.

John,

I'm all over new construction job sites so my truck keeps a nice thin layer of mud on it with several nails in the tires all the time.

If one drives up around here on a job site in a clean truck you'll likely come back out to the truck and find something splattered all over it.

Its like the new guy showing up with a new tool belt full of shiny tools the first day of work. They'll give you hell.

rick

John,

I'm all over new construction job sites so my truck keeps a nice thin layer of mud on it with several nails in the tires all the time.

If one drives up around here on a job site in a clean truck you'll likely come back out to the truck and find something splattered all over it.

Its like the new guy showing up with a new tool belt full of shiny tools the first day of work. They'll give you hell.

rick
    Rick,
    You still in construction / contracting?

Ok, a bit of construction site mud is acceptable if that's where you're inspecting. Cowsh#t if you're in ranch country.

My area is predominately paved and citified, and so are my clients. I live way out of town, so my truck gets dirty on the highway from all the gravel and logging truck traffic.

Ok, a bit of construction site mud is acceptable if that's where you're inspecting. Cowsh#t if you're in ranch country.

My area is predominately paved and citified, and so are my clients. I live way out of town, so my truck gets dirty on the highway from all the gravel and logging truck traffic.
    Same in So cal. Although we have lots of desert, with dirt.

I have the 07 HHR loaded, bought new. No quality issues as Rick suggested. Average 27 but have gotten 30 down hill with the motor off.

Carry two ladders in it with the back seats folded down

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    I have the 07 HHR loaded, bought new. No quality issues as Rick suggested. Average 27 but have gotten 30 down hill with the motor off.
    Heck, mine gets infinite MPG with the motor off.

David Edenburn Guest

Those types of vans are very common in other countries. Opel, Renault, Peugueot, etc. Here in Singapore they usually come in a Diesel version so they qualify as a commercial vehicle for the taxes. Also gets much better mileage. They work well for most inspections but I can't put my long ladder in the back like my old Tundra.
    David Edenburn

Quote Originally Posted by JB Thompson View Post
    My truck is filthy; thank goodness it's white.

A month and half ago, I told my kid he could earn some cash by washing/vacuuming it...I'm still waiting. I think he's independently wealthy.

My kid finally decided he liked capitalism and asked me what I would pay him to wash my truck.

Len Couey Guest

My wife and I work togeather as inspectors, about 4 years ago we bought a 21 ft B T Cruiser motor home for our office and on site report location. It has worked out fantastic we have the john, kitchen, shower etc etc and we keep all the tools and computers on board. AC in summer, heat in winter. Only draw back in the Hill Country of TX there is some areas that we cannot access with the unit its too big. If we have a inspection more than 150 miles round trip we use my P Up.

Len Couey

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Len Couey View Post
    My wife and I work togeather as inspectors, about 4 years ago we bought a 21 ft B T Cruiser motor home for our office and on site report location. It has worked out fantastic we have the john, kitchen, shower etc etc and we keep all the tools and computers on board. AC in summer, heat in winter.
    Now that is one serious tax write off!

william siegel Guest

I am thinking of getting one of these

Phillip Smith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by william siegel View Post
    I am thinking of getting one of these
    Where are you going to put your ladder?

Len Couey Guest

I put my ladders on the back of the unit have a fold up rack and keep a 17ft little giant and extend and climb.

L C

That's one of those cars that converts into a ladder, electrical outlet tester and moisture meter. It nearly does it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Smith View Post
    Where are you going to put your ladder?
    Grapple hook and a winch, who needs a ladder?