mathew stouffer Guest

Default Penetrations into distribution panel

Is the Romex penetrations into the panel acceptable. I mentioned it and the electrician said it's fine. Needed some additional thoughts.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Penetrations into distribution panel

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Is the Romex penetrations into the panel acceptable. I mentioned it and the electrician said it's fine. Needed some additional thoughts.

That is just crap work but it goes along w/ the crappy homoline panel, the installer needs to show that that connector is listed for multiple cables, the picture does not show it but I would not be surprised if PVC male terminal adaptors were used, which is summed up by the 1st 5 words of this post.

Since I am not the Sparky guru around here don't ask me for the Code section. As far as I know it is NOT acceptable to have the branch circuits to out the same knockout as the service wires come in through. As Rollie mentioned connector also does not look like the right one. Beyond the obvious of course if it were the right connector it wouldn't be possible for the circuits to go out the same hole.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Is the Romex penetrations into the panel acceptable.
    Nope, it is not.

I mentioned it and the electrician said it's fine.
    Because he likely did the work and does not know it is wrong.

As Rollie said, although a bit bluntly, "That is just crap work ... ", and, yes, it is done that way a lot of the time ... and done wrong each and every time.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 11-04-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: to fix a quote
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Rod Hummel Guest

Gentleman: I'm a DIYr and long-term lurker on this site. Why? I want to learn the proper way to do things...I appreciate the wisdom of those on this board who take their own time to enlighten those who may not be as well versed in the art of construction.

My question: When PVC conduit terminates into a panel, with a male adapter and retaining nut, what is the proper method to secure the wires or cable exiting the conduit into the panel?

Thanks

Rod

Rod,

The cable should normally be connected directly to the panel with a cable clamp. There is an exception that allows for the cables to be sleeved in a conduit without being directly secured to the enclosure. It is only for a surface mount panel and only through the top of the panel. Neither of those conditions apply in this case as shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    The cable should normally be connected directly to the panel with a cable clamp. There is an exception that allows for the cables to be sleeved in a conduit without being directly secured to the enclosure. It is only for a surface mount panel and only through the top of the panel. Neither of those conditions apply in this case as shown.
    And only when those exempted conduits Jim is talking about are surface mounted exposed and terminate where their tops are visible (not disappearing into a ceiling).

Otherwise, as Jim said, each cable in its own clamp, or possibly two cable in one clamp with a clamp rated for that. And only one three-wire cable (3 wires plus a ground) in one clamp.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Rod Hummel Guest

Jim, Jerry: Thank you. Here's my situation: 1960ish home with central closet containing furnace and WH. Remote panel on wall. PO had installed several unused PVC conduit up into attic, and down into crawl space, obviously with intention of future expansion.

Home originally drew combustion air from inside home, now draws from attic. PO intention was to, I believe fully insulate room from home, and the stud bay containing the conduits has been fully filled with foam.

The conduits, as stated earlier, terminate in panel with male adapters.

Considering what is existing, is there a way to add a clamp to to male adapter to make it right? I'd to be able to add a circuit or two to panel.

I course have always seen clamps with male threads, but dont think I've seen 'em with female. Or would some type of plastic tension bushing (such as I've seen inserted into metal junction boxes) fit the bill and make this doable, and correct?

Rod

The easiest solution would be to add a junction box to the top or bottom of the conduit and run individual conductors thru the conduit. At the junction box you could transition to a method like NM cable.

Rod Hummel Guest

Perhaps I'm confused. My original intention was to run NM cable to the conduit, and either run the intact cable through the consuit, removing the sheathing when the NM enters the panel interior, or run the NM to the conduit and remove the sheathing for the entire length on conduit.

In either of the above case the only thing entering the panel interior would be the wires going of course to the breaker, neutral and ground.

I took from original comments that these wires exiting from the conduit did not meet code since there would be no clamping.

So I'm confused!

Thank you for bearing with with me!

Rod

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

This isn't a DIY site actually, although occasionally a question pops up and its answered.

At this point I'm going to say its time for you to consult a licensed electrician. There's more to it than you seem to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Hummel View Post
    My original intention was to run NM cable to the conduit, and either run the intact cable through the consuit, removing the sheathing when the NM enters the panel interior, or run the NM to the conduit and remove the sheathing for the entire length on conduit.

That would be a real big no-no.

You really do not want to do that.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Rod Hummel Guest

Gentleman:

I apologize for my non-reply to your answers (kidney stones ). As a result of your discussion, I've looked up the NEC and realized why what was installed was incorrect, and what I need to do to make it code-compliant.

Thank you for your assistance!

R