Default Propane Gas pipe tape

Hi,
    Ran across this today. I thought that the tape dope that was used in gas piping was supposed to be yellow. This tape is white, as shown in the photo. Does it make a difference that the gas is propane and not natural gas?

Thanks for your help.

K Cliton

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Dennis Krouse Guest

Default Re: Propane Gas pipe tape

Yellow is the recommended tape to use on gas fittings. The color coding is for ease of inspection and the difference between the white and yellow is density. The yellow is double density. The AHJ's for the most part in central Florida would probably tag it for against manufacturers recommendations. They used to make double density in white so it leads to some confusion there. I don't know if it is still made or not. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Krouse View Post
    Yellow is the recommended tape to use on gas fittings. The color coding is for ease of inspection and the difference between the white and yellow is density. The yellow is double density. The AHJ's for the most part in central Florida would probably tag it for against manufacturers recommendations. They used to make double density in white so it leads to some confusion there. I don't know if it is still made or not. Hope this helps!
    I know of no requirement to use yellow pipe thread tape on gas lines, but what will cause an AHJ to fail the inspection is: a) no pressure on the pressure gage; b) pressure falling fast on the pressure gage (will soon lead to item a) ); c) no sediment trap; d) other items too.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I know of no requirement to use yellow pipe thread tape on gas lines, but what will cause an AHJ to fail the inspection is: a) no pressure on the pressure gage; b) pressure falling fast on the pressure gage (will soon lead to item a) ); c) no sediment trap; d) other items too.
    Thanks Jerry and Dennis for your reply! I will note this in the report as "maybe" an issue. The area that I live in is notorious for contractors who sometimes don't have a clue. And Jerry, for once there was a sediment trap on this gas line, something I don't see a whole lot here.

Kathleen