Default dryer vent over meter

Aside from stupidity is there a problem with this?

I'm thinking the meter is made to be outdoors so the moisture shouldn't be a problem. It's sealed so the lint shouldn't matter. It looks like it's been like this for awhile and the power company appearanty hasn't had a problem with it.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: dryer vent over meter

No--There is not a problem with a violation of the NEC.

"Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. " Robert E. Lee

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    Aside from stupidity is there a problem with this?

I'm thinking the meter is made to be outdoors so the moisture shouldn't be a problem. It's sealed so the lint shouldn't matter. It looks like it's been like this for awhile and the power company appearanty hasn't had a problem with it.
    Matt: NEC 110.26 applies to meter socket enclosures:
    (3) Height of Working Space. The work space shall be clear and extend from the grade, floor, or platform to the height required by 110.26(E). Within the height requirements of this section, other equipment that is associated with the electrical installation and is located above or below the electrical equipment shall be permitted to extend not more than 150 mm (6 in.) beyond the front of the electrical equipment.

This is further enforced by wording such as this from the Oncor (my provider) Electric Service Guildlines Manual dated 10/27:

"
    500.04 Location of Meter
    Consistent with good utility practice, a meter and its associated equipment shall be
    installed in a location that facilitates the provision of safe and reliable electric
    delivery service and accurate measurement and that provides clear working space
    on all sides. The center of the socket opening shall be not less than four feet
    and not more than six feet above the finished grade. All meter locations should
    be as near as possible to the point of delivery. The Company shall have direct,
    unobstructed access to all meter locations. Meter locations likely to become
    obstructed in the future shall be avoided.
    Meters shall be located outside the building. If the Customer requires a meter
    location other than outside the building, the Customer shall install and own the
    electric service conductors from a point of delivery outside of the building (either
    secondary transformer terminals or service enclosure) to the meter location. See
    Figure 5-A for typical point of delivery (P.O.D.) locations. Meter locations other
    than outside the building are non-standard and require Company approval prior to
    installation of the meter. Meterbases and transockets are not to be installed on
    Company poles. This applies to both overhead and underground services.
    500.05 Meter Work Space
    Sufficient space in front of, above, below and on each side of meter sockets,
    service enclosures, meterpacks and transockets is necessary for work space for connecting and the reading of meters. No obstruction shall be within four feet in front of the meter. See NEC Article 110.26 for working spaces."

Aaron

Thanks Aaron... whenever I see dryer vents I immediately just start thinking about the moist air coming from them first. Good point about clearance. Also, I didn't remember it being so close to the actual meter base. Now that I look at the picture again, it's pretty much right on top of it.

It's sealed so the lint shouldn't matter.
    If that meter enclosure is sealed to the wall ... 'that' is a problem as it is not allowed to be sealed to the wall.

Aaron addressed the required working space problem.

This is just another example of *stupidity* and *lack of common sense*, kinda like putting the clothes dryer exhaust directly behind the a/c condenser unit.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

So, all that being said>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I am not seeing the vent as an obstruction. Maybe height of the meter (looking rather low) is in question. Opening the meter box cover is not hindered and the removal or replacement of the meter is not hindered and reading it is not hindered and as far as moisture from the dryer vent, don't see it. The rain and or snow would be 1000 fold worse.

I just read everything Aaron posted and still don't read it as not allowed. Maybe I am skipping something or scanning instead of reading.

A little edit here. I would never have done it for my own reasons and have never seen it done before.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    So, all that being said>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I am not seeing the vent as an obstruction. Maybe height of the meter (looking rather low) is in question. Opening the meter box cover is not hindered and the removal or replacement of the meter is not hindered and reading it is not hindered and as far as moisture from the dryer vent, don't see it. The rain and or snow would be 1000 fold worse.

I just read everything Aaron posted and still don't read it as not allowed. Maybe I am skipping something or scanning instead of reading.

A little edit here. I would never have done it for my own reasons and have never seen it done before.

I had pretty much the same thoughts since it's a bit vauge. But, I don't think you could even get the meter base off of the wall without moving the dryer vent. Code or not, it's just pretty dumb.

Ted,

If you did not like Aaron's post regarding 'why not allowed', then you probably will not like this either regarding 'why not allowed'.

From the 2008 NEC. (underlining is mine)
    - 110.26 Spaces About Electrical Equipment.
    - - (F) Dedicated Equipment Space.
    - - - (2) Outdoor. Outdoor electrical equipment shall be installed in suitable enclosures and shall be protected from accidental contact by unauthorized personnel, or by vehicular traffic, or by accidental spillage or leakage from piping systems. The working clearance space shall include the zone described in 110.26(A). No architectural appurtenance or other equipment shall be located in this zone.

(so let's go back to (A) )
    - - (A) Working Space. Working space for equipment operating at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall comply with the dimensions of 110.26(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3) or as required or permitted elsewhere in this Code.
    - - - (3) Height of Working Space. The work space shall be clear and extend from the grade, floor, or platform to the height required by 110.26(E). Within the height requirements of this section, other equipment that is associated with the electrical installation and is located above or below the electrical equipment shall be permitted to extend not more than 150 mm (6 in.) beyond the front of the electrical equipment.

(so let's go to (E) )
    - - (E) Headroom. The minimum headroom of working spaces about service equipment, switchboards, panelboards, or motor control centers shall be 2.0 m (6½ ft). Where the electrical equipment exceeds 2.0 m (6½ ft) in height, the minimum headroom shall not be less than the height of the equipment.
    - - - Exception: In existing dwelling units, service equipment or panelboards that do not exceed 200 amperes shall be permitted in spaces where the headroom is less than 2.0 m (6½ ft).

I expect you will argue that that is not going to bother anyone's "headroom", nonetheless, it is within that space.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

I had pretty much the same thoughts since it's a bit vauge. But, I don't think you could even get the meter base off of the wall without moving the dryer vent. Code or not, it's just pretty dumb.
    Undo the bolts holding it on, pull it away from the wall, lift it up. I know, it is still dumb.

I think that 110.26(A) makes it clear that in this case 110.26 doesn't apply at all.

"Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. " Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Miller View Post
    I think that 110.26(A) makes it clear that in this case 110.26 doesn't apply at all.
    Roland,

You need to explain why 'not, that is not allowed' means 'yes, that is okay'.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

There is not anything in the meter base that requires examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance while energized. Just like 110.26 doesn't apply to dry transformers...

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Miller View Post
    There is not anything in the meter base that requires examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance while energized. Just like 110.26 doesn't apply to dry transformers...

Huh?

Q. When is the meter inserted and removed?

A. While the meter socket is energized.

That is just one reason.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Obviously that panel isn't on the back side of that wall (I hope).

Inserting and removing the meter is not examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance. And even most utilities have stopped the practice of doing this while energized and are requiring a disconnect ahead of the meter..

Last edited by Roland Miller; 01-15-2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: corrected spelling

Ted Menelly Guest

Jerry

I did not say I did not like Aarons post. As a matter of fact I like every post from everyone.

I was stating I did not read in there that it was a concern.

As far as the quote below

(2) Outdoor. Outdoor electrical equipment shall be installed in suitable enclosures and shall be protected from accidental contact by unauthorized personnel, or by vehicular traffic, or by accidental spillage or leakage from piping systems. The working clearance space shall include the zone described in 110.26(A). No architectural appurtenance or other equipment shall be located in this zone."

Just an honest question here. No complaint but.

The first red highlight pretty much says it should have a force fieled around it or not have it located anywhere on the property because accidental contact will take place an anytime, anywhere

The second highlight. Is a dryer vent cover an architectural appurtenance or equipment ? It is not a hand built architectural type item and it is a v ent, not a mechanical item other than the air blowing it open when the dryer is on

I did not say I did not like Aarons post.

Ted, what I said was:

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    If you did not like Aaron's post regarding 'why not allowed', then you probably will not like this either regarding 'why not allowed'.
    Meaning that you did not like the content "regarding 'why not allowed' .. ", not meaning that you did not like his post.

Seems as though I worded my post wrong.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The second highlight. Is a dryer vent cover an architectural appurtenance or equipment ?

Yes, indeed it is.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Yes, indeed it is.
    Jerry

I know you saw my smiley faces. And as far as the content in Aarons post I thought it was great as I believe all posts have great content. I would not be on here if I thought other wise. From serious postings, code posting and the crazy funny stories. I find it all good.

Christopher Gorton Guest

Pulling the meter base is sometimes sop for the fire department in the event of a house fire. Easiest thing for them to find that is on the exterior of the house.
    Just another service purpose other than meter replacement.