Default Deadfront Terminology Question

When a deadfront consists of a front plate (on which the cover door hinges) and a separate section connected to the front plate which fits over the breakers, what is the correct terminology for:

1) The front plate on which the door hinges.
    2) The inner section which fits over the breakers.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Default Re: Deadfront Terminology Question

A basic residential panel has a cover. A one piece cover that when removed exposes the entire interior of the panel.
    A commercial panel commonly has a cover and a dead-front. When you remove the cover it exposes the gutter space around the interior of the panel,but the panelboard itself and the breakers are still covered by the dead-front.

So when you said:
    the front plate on which the door hinges - that is a cover
    The inner section which fits over the breakers-- That is a dead-front

Hope this helps

Robert Meier Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ken horak View Post
    A basic residential panel has a cover. A one piece cover that when removed exposes the entire interior of the panel.
    A commercial panel commonly has a cover and a dead-front. When you remove the cover it exposes the gutter space around the interior of the panel,but the panelboard itself and the breakers are still covered by the dead-front.

So when you said:
    the front plate on which the door hinges - that is a cover
    The inner section which fits over the breakers-- That is a dead-front

Hope this helps
    Ken where can we find these definitions?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meier View Post
    Ken where can we find these definitions?
    From 30 years of experience in the electrical field

PLUS

From Square D : Everything marked F1 is listed as Deadfront in the charts
    http://static.schneider-electric.us/...1670SB9601.pdf

Matter of fact if you spend some time researching the Scheinder electric ( square D) website for the various panels you wil see the term Deadfront everywhere with pictures of what I decribed

Hope This helps

Here are the two "sections", what I am trying to report is the missing bolt connecting them:

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Here are the two "sections", what I am trying to report is the missing bolt connecting them:

From what I can see in that picture you are dealing with a Square D flush mount cover . It is a one piece cover for a residential panel ,( or I should say a 120/240 volt single phase panel)
    . Those covers have the part that covers the breakers on a pin that has a spring on it. Square D refers to this as "automatic flush adjustment"
    Did You remove the cover ? Looks like to me the pin is there ( from what I can see)
    On the label it should list the cover part number. It is a common part found in most home improvement stores like Lowes and Home Depot and electrical supply houses.( Go to lowes or home depot and look at them in the electrical aisle and you will see what I'm talking about)

Last edited by ken horak; 02-20-2012 at 10:25 AM.

Did You remove the cover ?
    Aw, come on, you have *got* to be kidding!

The answer, of course, is yes.

Looks like to me the pin is there ( from what I can see)
    The pin is present, but the spring and nut for the for the pin connecting the "outer" to the "inner" deadfront portion is missing, and the two portions are not connected at the bottom.

Those covers have the part that covers the breakers on a pin that has a spring on it. Square D refers to this as "automatic flush adjustment". On the label it should list the cover part number. It is a common part found in most home improvement stores like Lowes and Home Depot and electrical supply houses.( Go to lowes or home depot and look at them in the electrical aisle and you will see what I'm talking about)
    I've looked at hundreds of these, and I've looked at the documentation I can find at the manufacturers site.

What I went to be able to say is:

"A potion of the pin mechanism connecting the XXXXX to the YYYYY is missing, and the XXXXX is not properly connected to the YYYYY at their lower attachment point."

What I want to know is, what is the proper term for the the XXXXX and YYYYY portions?

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 02-20-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    Michael Thomas

He told you. "A pin has come loose which connects the outer cover to the inner cover (or deadfront). Have an electrician remove the cover and repair it"

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Aw, come on, you have *got* to be kidding!

The answer, of course, is yes.
    I knew the answer but had to ask anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Michae Thomas View Post
    The pin is present, but the spring and nut for the for the pin connecting the "outer" to the "inner" deadfront portion is missing, and the two portions are not connected at the bottom.

I've looked at hundreds of these, and I've looked at the documentation I can find at the manufacturers site.

What I went to be able to say is:

"A potion of the pin mechanism connecting the XXXXX to the YYYYY is missing, and the XXXXX is not properly connected to the YYYYY at their lower attachment point."

What I want to know is, what is the proper term for the the XXXXX and YYYYY portions?
    Ok I've gone back to the Schneider electric website and found this description:

Flush covers have spring-loaded interior trim for automatic flush adjustment

Here is a ink to where I found that information . It is on page 10.
    http://static.schneider-electric.us/...1100CT0501.pdf

So XXXX = Interior Trim and YYYYY = Flush Cover

So:
    ""A potion of the pin mechanism connecting the Interior Trim to the Flush Cover is missing, and the Interior Trim is not properly connected to the Flush Cover at their lower attachment point."

Hope This helps

Last edited by ken horak; 02-20-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Thanks! (I'm a just *bit* obsessive-compulsive about knowing the "right" names for the things I report...)

Michael Thomas