Default check valves on basement sink drains

I have never seen a check valve on a sink drain. There a 3 of them in the basement of this newly rehabbed townhouse in Philadelphia.
    The implications are obvious, but what I want to know is, are these valves even meant for this kind of use?
    check valve.jpg

Member Benefits1
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: check valves on basement sink drains

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    I have never seen a check valve on a sink drain. There a 3 of them in the basement of this newly rehabbed townhouse in Philadelphia.
    The implications are obvious, but what I want to know is, are these valves even meant for this kind of use?
    check valve.jpg
    That would make me wonder why "newly rehabbed". I don't know the answer to your question, but a bad experience has probably led to this solution!

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

check valve.jpg
    Its a good question. I do not know for certain, but suspect that a typical check valve used in a sump pump discharge pipe would not be approved for this use. Besides the fact that this would be a significant obstruction in the drain piping, I think the standards for sewage backflow would be more stringent. I briefly looked on the internet for sewage backflow valves and found 1-1/2 and 2 inch models. They have an internal flapper that does not significantly obstruct flow. The link below shows the valves (see page 41). If you Google the brand and replacement flapper you can see what the flapper looks like. Maybe it is also somewhere in the catalog.

http://www.canplasplumbing.com/Porta...s/US08_CAT.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reinmiller View Post
    Its a good question. I do not know for certain, but suspect that a typical check valve used in a sump pump discharge pipe would not be approved for this use. Besides the fact that this would be a significant obstruction in the drain piping, I think the standards for sewage backflow would be more stringent. I briefly looked on the internet for sewage backflow valves and found 1-1/2 and 2 inch models. They have an internal flapper that does not significantly obstruct flow. The link below shows the valves (see page 41). If you Google the brand and replacement flapper you can see what the flapper looks like. Maybe it is also somewhere in the catalog.

http://www.canplasplumbing.com/Porta...s/US08_CAT.pdf
    I don't see a P trap in the photo? Is this someone's idea of eliminating the trap? You need a trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Cybolsky View Post
    I don't see a P trap in the photo? Is this someone's idea of eliminating the trap? You need a trap.
    I did not post the photo, but it looks like there is a trap at the right side of the photo.

Improperly Installed & open Electrical junction box.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Cybolsky View Post
    There is a trap.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Improperly Installed & open Electrical junction box.
    Yep, I would say that it is a rehab due to flooding from some source. I have seen this many times in homes that have been flooded. They install factory made cabinets that do not match the depth of the old cabinet box and the outlet box sticks out like that. If they come back and use a "pancake" or slim-fit box that usually takes care of the problem.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Why would you expect a check valve to function as intended when installed in the horizontal position?

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    Why would you expect a check valve to function as intended when installed in the horizontal position?

A lot of check valves are allowed or even required to be installed horizontally. The quote below is from a distributor's website:

No metal parts in any of the assembled elements eliminating possibility of corrosion
    Suitable for both domestic and commercial sump pump applications
    May be installed vertically or horizontally
    Chemical-resistant PVC construction
    Easy to turn on/off handle
    PVC temperature rating: 125 psi @ 72°F
    Click here to see an image of the internal workings of the Checkmate valve
    Proudly made in the USA USA flag button

Dan Cullen
    www.domicileconsulting.com
    Chicago IL

Sump check valve. Probably used as a backup in case the sink in the basement isnt used much which can cause the trap to dry out.

check valve.jpg
    My daughter owns a 4 plex rental. We recently renovated some of the units, and had a kitchen sink removed, with the drain tee exposed. When the upper apartment drained their sink, water flowed (splashed) from the tee, into the kitchen were we were working. Obviously not a swept tee. This water rush also caused gurgling in the sink, before we started the renovation. The check valve would stop the back flow from the upper level. Alternative, and preferred fix, is to replace the tee with a swept design. However, the check valve is an effective fix.

Griffen Guest

I agree with the intent to stop waste water from backing up from the streets. It's something you don't see everyday, but if you had raw sewage coming out of your sink, putting in check valves doesn't sound so bad. I think everyone who has basement fixtures should do this.

In the OP photo the check valve is installed improperly. The flapper hinge must be set to the top, as pictured the check valve is canted at an angle, and we are not sure if the hinge is near the top, sides or bottom.

In the picture here you can see Zoeller labeled the side that needs to be up when in the horizontal position.

checkthisside up.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen View Post
    I agree with the intent to stop waste water from backing up from the streets. It's something you don't see everyday, but if you had raw sewage coming out of your sink, putting in check valves doesn't sound so bad. I think everyone who has basement fixtures should do this.
    Bad, so brainy smurf is into plumbing now. I would note it, due to liability.

Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.