Default Picture Examples within Reports

Curious if any of you use actual photos in your report to show as an example of something.

For example, you say there is no sediment trap on gas lines. But you post a picture of a sediment trap to show the client an example of what your describing.

I'm not talking black and white illustrations, but actual photos.

Another example would be say the exterior faucets have no anti-siphons present. You post a picture of an anti-siphon so client can actually see what your talking of.

Just thinking...

rick

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Picture Examples within Reports

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Curious if any of you use actual photos in your report to show as an example of something.

For example, you say there is no sediment trap on gas lines. But you post a picture of a sediment trap to show the client an example of what your describing.

I'm not talking black and white illustrations, but actual photos.

Another example would be say the exterior faucets have no anti-siphons present. You post a picture of an anti-siphon so client can actually see what your talking of.

Just thinking...

rick
    I add pics that I have saved over time and I save as many as are needed from here.

It is of course as you say the best example you can give to your client and pass on to builders when talking of sediment traps and condensationn traps and such.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Rick,

I've done a few over the past couple of years. Kind of depends on the rapport with the client and how interested they seem when going over the inspection findings with them.

Curious if any of you use actual photos in your report to show as an example of something. For example, you say there is no sediment trap on gas lines. But you post a picture of a sediment trap to show the client an example of what your describing. I'm not talking black and white illustrations, but actual photos. Another example would be say the exterior faucets have no anti-siphons present. You post a picture of an anti-siphon so client can actually see what your talking of. Just thinking... rick
    Rick,

I have been reluctant to put in photos that are not from the house that I have actually inspected. I am concerned that it might be confusing, so I use illustrations for examples of how something "should" be and photos of how they actually are.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

What I found more useful was to find web resources that describe the issue or what ever and include that in my report. I deliver my reports via the web and acrobat will recognize the web address and turn it into a hyperlink. If they want more info they can click, if not they go onto the next comment. Helpful for explaining asbestos in acoustic ceiling, mold, radon, expansive soils, etc.

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Rick,

I have been reluctant to put in photos that are not from the house that I have actually inspected. I am concerned that it might be confusing, so I use illustrations for examples of how something "should" be and photos of how they actually are.
    Ditto Gunnar, I try to stick to diagrams of how it should be except for a few pictures of individual items like dryer vent hoods, thermal expansion tanks, etc. that have only the part. I don't want to take the chance of confusing the issue.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Russel Ray Guest

I've got a huge collection of photos from my inspections, and I do sometimes use a real picture from another property to illustrate something. It doesn't have to be confusing if one simply labels the picture "Example of..." and then, in the text, say, "see Figure xxx as an example." Or something to that effect.

I find actual pictures to be much more powerful than illustrations or diagrams.

Russell,

Good to see your post. Hope your doing well.

We're coming out your way in the next couple weeks for some R&R.

Here is a picture or example I'm talking of. Is this compatible to what your mentioning?

rick

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Russel Ray Guest

Exactly, except that in my neck of the woods we call that a "safety clip."

Photos are so much easier for a client to understand. I try to stay away from diagrams when a photo shows it so much better. Doesn't alway work but most times it does.

I just make sure to clearly label it as an EXAMPLE ONLY

Much clearer than a black and white drawing.

Like this.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

In my neck of the woods, copper is allowed.

Erby, you may want to show a better example of a sediment trap. One where sediment can not "wash" over the trap. Any questions, ask E. coast Jerry

The code book does not specify how the trap is to be installed (the one in your pic is common in my area), but I have noticed many of the manufacturers installation instructions show that installation as being improper.

This diagram is directly out of the UPC book and I've used it for years. All are welcome to also use it, if they wish?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

I sometimes use photos to show how something should be. I find myself doing this more when I have to describe how a finished detail should be.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Do mechanics include photos of disc brakes indicating what the brakes should look like new in their repair estimate? How about plumbers or electricians? Nope.

What relevance is a photo indicating how something should be if the client is ignorant of how to replace or fix it or cannot afford to fix an item mentioned and photoed in the report? Most times such clients will refer the repair out. Therefore the picture is irrelevant in my opinion. Bloating a report with irrelevant photos?

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    This diagram is directly out of the UPC book and I've used it for years. All are welcome to also use it, if they wish?

Actually isn't the hard pipe suppose to connect into the unit. Anyways that is the correct direction of flow.

Most people don't know what a Rake Board is. SO how do you describe where it is. A picture speaks volumes. Most don't read the report anyway, but if you've got pics they will look, and maybe learn. Or mabey they will be out in the garage looking for a RAke board.

and here's that picture.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

and here's that picture.

rick
    Were we away on vacation Mr Rick ?

And di you know that a Rake board might have shovels, brooms, picks and a few HO'S. HOHOHOHOOHOO

Yes sir.

We went out to California for 7 days. Visited friends in San Diego, La Jolla, Laguna Beach, Malibu and Santa Barbara.

Of course I had to do some inspecting while I was there. The fireplace with the "D" on it is the old Bette Davis home.

Great to be home though.

rick

Cool Re: Picture Examples within Reports

Rick
    Next time you go west come to northern California because the sad truth is all civilization as we know it ceases to exist below San Louis Obispo.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Jerry,

We usually swap between N. California and Southern California every other year.

I probably met about a 100 homeless people on the beach in Laguna Beach this time. I must have had a sign on my back that said "Hit me up for a Dollar"

Personally, I do enjoy the northern part better as it is cooler there. I've been up and down the whole coast but have never stopped in San Luis Obispo cause I have family there. Thats where my Cousin Eddie lives.

Rick

Seems most of us have a "Cousin Eddie" somewhere. Some of us are even stupid like Chevy was and actually stop to see them.

I did, ONCE!

That was enough. Haven't been back.

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

"Eddie, if I woke up with my face sewn to the carpet tomorrow I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now"

I knew I liked you guys... but if it turns out you're Clark W Griswold fans.... Oh my.... that just takes it to a whole new level