Default Mixing valve on hot water heater

A little something that you may have not seen before or may be seeing in the future.

Heatguard Hot Water Tank Booster
    Heatguard® Tank Booster | Cash Acme

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Mixing valve on hot water heater

They are used often in day care facilities (adult and child), personal care homes, and similar.
    (Georgia) State regs limit water temp to 120 or less at all faucets. Prevents scalding.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Yep. Though you don't see them on residential installations to often which was the reason to post it.

I've seen a few here in Oregon. We've had them on soaking tubs for a few years now and I've heard rumors that soon it will be the whole house system.

What I've heard the reasons are is two-fold: The obvious is to hold the water temp so that it won't scald people. The not-so-obvious is that when the water heater is turned down to 120 is can promote bacteria growth and has actually been blamed in some fatalities. Legionaires (sp?) disease I recall.

Performed an inspection this afternoon for a couple who both work for the company that makes sharkbite plumbing fittings. We got chatting about water temp, jetted tubs, size of water heaters, etc. She pulls out her smart phone and shows me a video of the device pictured in the OP. The company response was turn the water heater to 140, temper with cold water as it comes out of water heater to 120 with the device. Company claims the device effectively doubles the amount of hot water available from a water heater. Instead of having tempering devices at each faucet, one for the whole house.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    A little something that you may have not seen before or may be seeing in the future.

Heatguard Hot Water Tank Booster
    Heatguard® Tank Booster | Cash Acme

Bradford White installs similar valves on their 25-gallon high recovery water heater. It operates at 160 degrees or more and therefore needs a tempering valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    The company response was turn the water heater to 140, temper with cold water as it comes out of water heater to 120 with the device. Company claims the device effectively doubles the amount of hot water available from a water heater. Instead of having tempering devices at each faucet, one for the whole house.
    I was thinking about trying something like that in that past, now I will have to look into it more. Not so sure it would double the amount of available hot water...